Thai Bread

Davidcharles

I never quite understood why you could get reasonably decent mini baguettes from Cambodia and Vietnam but the best easily found bread available inThailand is the small, wholemeal stuff in 7-Eleven, and that's the best stuff there is.

Other than that it's just sweaty, sugary, McDonalds buns minus seeds filled with pork flavoured candy floss and sealed in a polythene bubble.

Doesn't exactly bring the Largo theme to mind does it.

Yes, have seen bread makers in stores in Chiang Mai. In Central stores. Don't know if there is a Central store where you live,(Pattaya?), but they are available.

If you have a Carrefore close by you could try the sourdough bread it is very good.

I used to buy English Bread in Pattaya from a guy who has now packed his oven and gone to Cambodia....

Would like to know therefore, if anyone has seen Home Bread Makers in LOS?

If not I will have to bring one from UK.........

Yes, you can certainly buy bread makers in Thailand. They were available in Central Department stores the last time I looked (about 3 months ago). Prices were not so different from England - about 7,000 baht for a basic model. If you just want to bake the occassional loaf, then they are probably the thing for you. Baking-yeast and high protein bread flours are definitely available in supermarkets (e.g. Big C / Carrefour).

I decided against buying a breadmaker because their reliability is apparently poor when used on a regular (nearly daily) basis; at least, this is what I read on the Internet. One oft mentioned problem was seals breaking / leaking and requiring replacement. I imagine getting service and spares here would be next to impossible.

Hope that helps,

BB

The wonderful baguettes from Cambodia and Viet-nam are all of course down to those nasty,imperialist,colon-ic French overloards from the last 250 years but like Mr Kipling they do/did make exceeding good..etc.etc.etc.

Thailand being the "land of the free" never had to suffer such indignity hence produce rotten bread. :o

Chiangmai must be blessed.

There are several varieties of bread available particularly at places such as Rimping.

And quite good too.

Not just my opinion but also that of my friends also.

15 years ago there was virtually nothing available other than doughy white bread.

By far the best solution to the lack of edible bread in the Realm I've found, is to train 'er indoors about the delights of kneading dough. Not only can you get a decent slice of bread for your Marmite butties, but it toughens up her fingers nicely for the evening massage. :o

Oh, come on. In Pattaya both Tesco Lotus, Carrefour and Foodland sell both true french baguettes and various types of continantal European bread.

I beg your pardon, They sell a fair immitation but not near as good as the real thing that can still be had in Viet Nam.

We can't get any bakery stuff like comes from Carrefore or Tesco,,but do manage to get good whole wheat made by Gardenia. :o

I have thought about one of those bread makers, I had one in the states and got a fair loaf of bread,,but here,at least where I live EGAT is not that good on electic generation,distribution and control,,our juice is off quite a lot,and never more stable than 180V to 235V,so the life expectancy of electrical appliances is short and the performance is lacking.

I have a bread maker its the best thing since sliced bread :D Sorry i dont know what came over me.

Realy its the best, just put in the self raising flower, yeast, milk, sugar(a small amount), lard and salt.

set the timer and go to bed.

the next morning you awake to the smell of fresh bread WOW its almost as good as sex, :o well no its not but it is good.

Dont spend a lot of money on flower any will do (ok slow down all you bakers i have used all types of flower and they all work)

The only problem i had was getting lard in Thailand they call it SHORTNING, thats American for lard.

If you can not find lard you can use Butter, it still works ok

follow the directions and amounts in the manual EXACTLY its chemistry not Artistry.

edd :D

I do NOT like Marmite........

That's your loss mate............. :D

But, a thickly spread slice of homemade wholewheat bread, butter and lychee jam, can also be equally tempting for breakfast. :o

I believe in gentler times it was traditional for the wet nurse to smear MARMITE/VEGAMITE on the end of her nipples before allowing her charge ..usually "mem sabs" miget male offspring to encourage the little buggers to suck (lunch) in the approved manner. :D

Seems a lot of our "finest"needed more than just potty training lessons which as can be seen is probabally now fully reflective of our society. :D

Anyway I dont give a TIT :D

but the best easily found bread available inThailand is the small, wholemeal stuff in 7-Eleven, and that's the best stuff there is.

American Scampi ?? :D That's not bread but prefabricated sponge you're eating :o

Nothing beats a real European baker. Surely not the sugarbomb desserts they make in Los.... yuk.

And I do not bang my head on my PC.

Anyway, Big C in Phuket do a small crusty round loaf that they call "French Bread". But it's got sesame seeds on it and it tastes like English bread to me. Better than any of the packaged bread I've found in Big C, Tesco or 7-Eleven. But the price has gone up from 15 baht to 19 in about 2 months.

PS. There's a bakery (two shops I think) in Phuket called "Bruno's Bakery". They sell loaves for 50 baht that are good enough for building roads :o .

but the best easily found bread available inThailand is the small, wholemeal stuff in 7-Eleven, and that's the best stuff there is.

American Scampi ?? :D That's not bread but prefabricated sponge you're eating :o

Nothing beats a real European baker. Surely not the sugarbomb desserts they make in Los.... yuk.

Got to agree that European bread is about the best anywhere. Up in the northern part of Spain they make this great stuff with a real hard crust that can make a whole meal in itself.

Kevin, I used to live in France, I think I know what french bread looks (and tastes) like. If you prefer the bread in Vietnam, good for you, arai gaw die.

Did you also shit in the shower and poke it down the drain with your toe too?,just like you belonged there :o

Kevin, I used to live in France, I think I know what french bread looks (and tastes) like. If you prefer the bread in Vietnam, good for you, arai gaw die.

Did you also shit in the shower and poke it down the drain with your toe too?,just like you belonged there :o

That comment says more about you than it does about me. :shrug:

How about these electrical "Home bakery" machines, popular in Europe in the 80's? Do they exist in Thailand?  Can you get the right ingredients here?

I think you can get them at the big home store, in Carrefour, Central Road Pattaya.

Foodland will have the yeast and flour.

Edited by astral

Got to agree that European bread is about the best anywhere. Up in the northern part of Spain they make this great stuff with a real hard crust that can make a whole meal in itself.

Sure Boon mee,

I'm back in europe now and surely love the bakers again.

Every weekend Pistolets (small bun like a hamburger bun but hard and crusty on the outside , soft inside) in about 10 different tastes (with sesame seeds, butter dough, raisins ect)

Italian Ciabatta, German Whole wheat 7 grains bread, French Croissants. Not to mention all the different Pies and creamy cakes in all sorts.

Belgian Chocolate on everything :D.

mmmmmmmm :D

That's your loss mate............. :D

But, a thickly spread slice of homemade wholewheat bread, butter and lychee jam, can also be equally tempting for breakfast. :o

I believe in gentler times it was traditional for the wet nurse to smear MARMITE/VEGAMITE on the end of her nipples before allowing her charge ..usually "mem sabs" miget male offspring to encourage the little buggers to suck (lunch) in the approved manner. :D

Seems a lot of our "finest"needed more than just potty training lessons which as can be seen is probabally now fully reflective of our society. :D

Anyway I dont give a TIT :wub:

What strange times you lived in. You mean the greedy young nippers did away with the bread altogether to get their daily dose of the black stuff? :D

Sure you haven't been pouring too much of the t'other black stuff (guinness) down Nursie's nipples Rin? It's all good nourishing stuff, when all is said and done. -_-

I have a bread maker its the best thing since sliced bread :D Sorry i dont know what came over me.

Realy its the best, just put in the self raising flower, yeast, milk, sugar(a small amount), lard and salt.

set the timer and go to bed.

the next morning you awake to the smell of fresh bread WOW its almost as good as sex, :o well no its not but it is good.

Dont spend a lot of money on flower any will do (ok slow down all you bakers i have used all types of flower and they all work)

The only problem i had was getting lard in Thailand they call it SHORTNING, thats American for lard.

If you can not find lard you can use Butter, it still works ok

follow the directions and amounts in the manual EXACTLY its chemistry not Artistry.

edd :D

Self Raising Flour AND Yeast.....Are you sure???

I believe in gentler times it was traditional for the wet nurse to smear MARMITE/VEGAMITE on the end of her nipples before allowing  her charge ..usually "mem sabs" miget male offspring to encourage the little buggers to suck (lunch) in the approved manner. :o

Sounds good! I'll try Vegemite on the g/f tonight... :D