Floating Underpants Give Thaksin Idea

george

Floating underpants give PM idea

BANGKOK: -- The natural resources and environment minister yesterday floated the idea of setting up a membership system for tourists to islands as a way to reduce sea garbage.

"The members who come to the islands must send notice in advance. Through the system, we will be able to keep them in check and provide them advice on how to relax without harming environment," said Suwit Khunkitti. He said Her Majesty the Queen had expressed concern about sea garbage.

Also, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra specifically singled out Pai Bay in the Phi Phi Islands as an example of how serious the problem was. "The premier said he found underpants floating all around during his recent visit," Suwit said.

But it may be difficult to implement a membership system, said Maitree Duangsawasdi, director-general of the Marine and Coastal Resource Department.

He said existing accommodation reservation systems could partially keep things in check. "I think if we involve local communities in protecting the sea environment and have specific laws, the situation should improve," Maitree said. Suwit said his ministry was considering a proposal to assign anchorage spots for tourist boats with single entrances to minimise adverse effects on coral reefs.

--The Nation 2004-07-20

A joke, right?

Tourists again are the ones polluting Thailand.

Not the numerous Thai family members throwing plastic bottles and other waste over the side from the back of the pickup trucks, nor the fishermen dumping the villages garbage over the side of the boat 100 mtr out.

:o

A joke, right?

Tourists again are the ones polluting Thailand.

Not the numerous Thai family members throwing plastic bottles and other waste over the side from the back of the pickup trucks, nor the fishermen dumping the villages garbage over the side of the boat 100 mtr out.

he he, farangs are the ones that make Thailand a bit cleaner as they actually wonder what to do with old batteries and paint for instance, the Thais throw it in the nearest klong.

Nice Thai humour!

being an ex-policeman, he knows that foriegners are the only ones that throw their garbage away in public. There is a huge amout of paperwork to back this claim up, in the form of reciepts for fines imposed.

wonder if the underpants he found floating in the sea still had a suicide victim ensconced in them?

"The premier said he found underpants floating all around during his recent visit," Suwit said

That was the morning after the party on his luxury yacht, right?

Good party, wonder why i wasnt invited?

Its illegal to go out in Thailand not wearing underpants,truly,anyone want to bet on it.

I read it somewere not sure were.

Oh no, don't give him ideas. I can see it now...

Road Blocks, Stop Checks For Pants Evaders

One British visitor recently discovered it's also illegal to walk around public parks without wearing a T-Shirt and with trousers stuffed with Ecstasy tablets.

I could of told him that before he got on the plane. Shame he didn't ask, considering the circumstances....

Oh well, "Shit happens" :o

Sure wasn't mine,I always leave home without em,,Guess I am what you might call a swinger.

And the article didn't say anything about him seeing any white fish,or estuary trout floating either,maybe thats where the report of less condom usage came from,if there is any hanky-panky goin on you should be able to see the skins floating in the bays and rivers.

Thailand has it's self to blame.There aren't enough garbage bins here.Most farangs walk around trying to find a bin but there aren't any to be found,even in the city Bangkok and i don't recall seeing any on the islands.Oh Thaksin,why don't you be a man and just say you hate farangs.

i can see it coming - compulsory name tags in all undies :D god help you if your undies turn up somewhere they have no right to be :o

What happens if someone borrows my undies??

:D