Suvarnabhumi Not Among The World’s Best

Thaising

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, could it be that as a new airport it wasnt even surveyed because it hasnt been open long enough. I've googled the lists and nowhere does it show the airport as being ranked, yet the whole tenor of this thread is that the airport is so crap it doesnt justify a place in the list.

spanner is the works alert .................. :o

THAI Received Best First Class Lounge Award from Skytrax

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Thai Airways International Public Company Limited received the Best First Class Lounge Award 2007 from Skytrax's 2006/7 World Airline Survey. Mr. Edward Plaisted, CEO of Skytrax survey organization, said, "THAI's new Royal First Class Lounge at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport has the most extensive choice of options to satisfy passenger demand, and combines these facilities with exclusive staff service attention to offer what our respondents name as the world's Best."

In addition, Skytrax awarded THAI second place under the Best Airline of the Year 2007 category, up from fourth place in 2006.

snip

etravelblackboard.com

it's not too much of a leap , to assume that since a lounge contained with-in the airport received an award , that the airport it's self was included in the judging and to steal your words ...........the airport is so crap it doesnt justify a place in the list

And to add my words, Thai 1st class lounge doesn't even win against the business class Pier lounge at Hong Kong for Cathay. More importantly, how many people get to use the 1st class lounge anyway? It's always empty and I understand why. Most of the flights are two class aircraft, and even on my trip last year to JFK on the new Thai nonstop, they operate a two-class aircraft. I flew in the Royal silk, which was a combined business and first class. Granted, it was a very, very nice new plane, virtually lie-flat seats, etc.. No complaints whatsoever. However, being voted best first class lounge is the best award you can get with the world's newest mega airport??

edited to add one thing: The first class lounge isn't even exclusive. 1st class travelers are either rich enough or dumb enough to pay exhorbitant prices to fly. In most lounges, they are accorded privacy, golf cart transport to the plane, special boarding etc.. The Thai 1st class lounge is adjascent to business class lounge, offers no privacy or sense of exclusiveness, and from what I've seen offers no great drinks selection. Not sure why they got that award, maybe something political. The business class lounge has more on offer.

Edited by chinthee

Not so long ago Thailand attracted adventure tourists who saw Bangkok as a gateway to all of Southeast Asia. Now the typical traveller seems more concerned about the quality of the fixtures in the lavatories and lighting. Times change quickly.

Since when did the 'adventure' start at the airport?

These so call 'adventure tourists' would of previously used Don Muang which in my humble opinion was far more welcoming and far less daunting for the first time visit than Suvarnabhumi!

I'm sorry but if an adventure traveller can't handle Suwannabhumi airport, I really think he's going to have a tough time with Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia, let alone Nepal and India. People are becoming prima donnas I'm afraid.

Pisser! Beyond hilarious. Laos - Wattay airport here in Vientiane (yes I live here) is the simplest and least hassle airport you could ever visit - no touts nothing you'll pay the same for a taxi regardless. Cambodia (Siem Reap) same goes for there also - get a moto haggle the price until your happy not hard. Never been in to Myanmar or India yet - neither are that appealing to myself. Nepal isn't that bad as airports go either I was half expect a hangar affair but its not bad and above what I expected. Sri Lanka is pretty much same as Nepal.

I will say it again no adventure starts in the airport - they are all places where you can have that last moment of calm and relax before you enter into the unknown. The real problem with SV is that it had so much money spent on it and it basically has turned into a very medioca airport no better than what it replaced. As most people have experienced it is in many way worse than what it replaced.

Oh and for what it's worth I agree pretty much with every word that Chinthee wrote. :o

It is somewhat strange that they don't publish the whole list. But my guess is that is was indeed surveyed as well, otherwise the article would be pointless. I was a bit surprised that Munich is so high on the list (5th and above schiphol) I go there quite often, but it cannot complete with Schiphol, much better place IMHO.

Anyway Suvarnabhumi isn't a bad place, but it's certainly not a top airport. I guess I was lucky at immigration, as I have never waited for more then 10 minutes, but the baggage reclaim time has been way above average. Another annoying thing about the airport, is the "crammed" arrivals area. Sometimes it's hard to move out of there.

The first class lounge isn't even exclusive. 1st class travelers are either rich enough or dumb enough to pay exhorbitant prices to fly.

I have been in 1st class 2 times: both on FF points. My fellow passengers were mostly like that - no Brian Ferry or other celebrities, only mothers with children, obviously flying on husband's points.

No wonder then, when that Indian women died (on a BA plane) midflight and the crew took the corpse into 1st class.

The mockery printed in The Economist was: "She was cool, like a seasoned 1st class traveler. She did not empty 2 bottles of free (expensive) champagne, did not ask for foot massage. Just like someone who knows what 1st class is and put the sign "do not disturb".

perhaps the reason why suvarnabhumi is, well, kinda out-dated in its offerings is because it was primarily designed some 20 years ago. Lest we forget that it took the Thai govt about 20 years to complete the airport, as they continually fed the project just enough money to stay alive but not enough to finish it. considering such, the airport aint half bad :o

perhaps the reason why suvarnabhumi is, well, kinda out-dated in its offerings is because it was primarily designed some 20 years ago. Lest we forget that it took the Thai govt about 20 years to complete the airport, as they continually fed the project just enough money to stay alive but not enough to finish it. considering such, the airport aint half bad :o

It would be interesting if an insider ever got around to writing an expose about the waste and graft that went on in building the airport. I'm guessing for all the money and time they spent a developed country without corrupt government institutions would have been able to build 3 airports for what suavarnabhumi cost Thailand.

http://www.airlinequality.com/AirportRanking/bkk_suv.htm

Three Star .........................

Good try Mid, but it still doesnt answer the question of where it ranked. If they can say in their publicity blurb that Heathrow was around 102nd then they obviously have rankings for every airport.

It's bizarre that they don't list them fully on their website.

http://www.airlinequality.com/AirportRanking/bkk_suv.htm

Three Star .........................

Good try Mid, but it still doesnt answer the question of where it ranked. If they can say in their publicity blurb that Heathrow was around 102nd then they obviously have rankings for every airport.

It's bizarre that they don't list them fully on their website.

the info is there ,

you go dig it out ......................

here's a clue there is only 4 five star airports , and 13 four star jobbies so your best bet is 18th .

the info is there ,

you go dig it out ......................

here's a clue there is only 4 five star airports , and 13 four star jobbies so your best bet is 18th .

Actually Mid, if you look at the best regional airports globally page (the same list puts the 3 best in Asia as Hong Kong Singapore and Seoul, so is consistent) there are 27 listed, and of course BKK is not there. Therefore, the highest possible rating for BKK would probably be 28th or lower, and probably lower.

Not so long ago Thailand attracted adventure tourists who saw Bangkok as a gateway to all of Southeast Asia. Now the typical traveller seems more concerned about the quality of the fixtures in the lavatories and lighting. Times change quickly.

Well, those were the kind of tourists the powers that be don't seem to want anymore (verbatim from past officials: "unwanted, miserable, low quality tourists")!

Aren't you yourself always complaining about the "low quality" of your fellow "farangs" in Thailand? Well, guess what, "quality tourists" aren't going to quietly put up with 3rd world quality of goods and services at 1st world prices...

Edited by BAF

Well, those were the kind of tourists the powers that be don't seem to want anymore (verbatim from past officials: "unwanted, miserable, low quality tourists")!

Aren't you yourself always complaining about the "low quality" of your fellow "farangs" in Thailand? Well, guess what, "quality tourists" aren't going to quietly put up with 3rd world quality of goods and services at 1st world prices...

Very good observation. Sure, the Taj Mahal gets its share of quality tourists. That's because the Delhi airport and is gorgeous and the Indian infrastructure is well conceived and executed.

Very good observation. Sure, the Taj Mahal gets its share of quality tourists. That's because the Delhi airport and is gorgeous and the Indian infrastructure is well conceived and executed.

Sorry to disappoint you but it's the Taj Mahal which is attracting those high (and low!) quality tourists, not the Delhi airport...

And India, contrary to Thailand, seems happy about the mix they get.

What are Thailand's Taj Mahals?

My dear poor BKK, so inferior that I am, as a foreigner, ashamed of it's airport. Shoddy service, touts and cheats right after the visitors enter the country.

There is only one chance to make the first impression.

And that is the great thing about Changi, HK and KL airports.

You go through immigration fairly quickly, there are adequate toilets both sides, you pick up bags and head through Customs. Maybe stopped, maybe not, but always helpful people.

Out into the Arrivals Hall and (apart from one or two touts at KL) you can easily find the taxi / bus / train location and find officially uniformed people to help you.

Go out of Su'boom and everyone wants to talk to you, to take your money. And you're busting for a pee, 'cos the toilets are hidden away and badly signed.

It really is the complete lack of management and understanding of what the traveller expects that destroys Su'boom. And that is all down to AoT and a sort of civil servant attitude.

It really is the complete lack of management and understanding of what the traveller expects that destroys Su'boom. And that is all down to AoT and a sort of civil servant attitude.

You hit the nail.

The place was built to the benefit of AOT.

Passengers? Who cares???

They'll flock by the millions anyway.

New airport nowhere on the top lists

The absence of Suvarnabhumi Airport in the latest list of the world's most favourite airports should ring the alarm bells for Thai authorities to get serious about quickly removing passenger service deficiencies.

What the major global passenger poll conducted by the UK-based aviation research organisation Skytrax and released last week is telling us, is that we have lost out to all the major airports in the region with which we have been competing in terms of passenger service quality. Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA), Singapore Changi Airport, Seoul Incheon Airport and Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) are among the top five best airports in the world in 2007. These airports have consistently been on the top 10 list in the Skytrax annual survey these past several years. HKIA, a frequent winner of the Best Airport title, this year returned to the top from second place last year. Incheon and Changi this year share second place. Incheon ranked fifth last year and Changi was at the top.

These airports have been eager to gain accolades as the region's aviation hub and they hope to achieve this by constantly challenging themselves to better their passenger service quality.

Unfortunately Suvarnabhumi, despite its advantage of being newer than its near competitors and airports, has not won any vote of confidence or satisfaction from international travellers in the Skytrax poll. Neither has its predecessor, Bangkok International Airport (Don Mueang), ever made it on any global airport winning list in its 93-year history.

It is quite embarrassing that Suvarnabhumi Airport, being part of Thailand whose hospitality is known the world over, has not been able to deliver high levels of service. In the latest Skytrax poll, Suvarnabhumi is classified as a three-star airport, providing just fair quality performance that conforms to an industry ''average'', but reflects some weaknesses or a lower/less consistent quality of staff service delivery.

That is in sharp contrast with HKIA, Changi and Incheon, the three airports which have been awarded five-star ranking in recognition of the highest standards of product and service delivery.

Perceived as an industry yardstick, the Skytrax 2007 survey was based on more than 7.8 million detailed passenger surveys covering 170 airports conducted over an 11-month period.

The survey covers more than 40 categories of product and service quality, including terminal cleanliness, staff efficiency and courtesy, terminal signage and walking distances. Shopping, dining options and internet services are also taken into account. Security processing and immigration waiting times also featured prominently in the survey.

The absence of Suvarnabhumi in the Skytrax list did not come as a surprise, given the service-quality complaints that have continued to plague the 155-billion-baht airport since its opening last September.

The poll's result has confirmed what most travellers through Suvarnabhumi know rather well: that it needs desperately fixing, and fast.

Long immigration lines, poor signage, a shortage of clean toilets and poor ground traffic management are among some of the critical problems that have not been resolved as quickly as they should have, even though they were clearly identified by authorities involved almost a year ago. It is common knowledge that the lack of sound airport management, service and professional proficiency and discipline, as well as the bureaucracy, are among the major hindrances to Suvarnabhumi's getting on the top of the world's charts.

All the resolutions are in place, but those in charge of making them happen are not taking enough action, as they are too occupied protecting themselves from scandals involving irregularities and alleged corruption cases. Or they are refraining from fixing the problems quickly, preferring to allow the cumbersome and time-consuming bureaucratic system to take its course, for fear that they might draw attention if they took any action.

It is crucial that the highest authorities at the Transport Ministry and the Airports of Thailand Plc, who are battling corruption and irregularities, get active in fixing problems regarding the overall standards of the airport. Suvarnabhumi has all the fundamentals to be one of the world's top airports _ within no time at all.

Bangkok Post