Designing Web Pages

macb

I would go with the CMS suggestions above.

Joomla, Droopal, Mambo et al

Some half decent book's out there to lean from - the wysiwyg one for Mambo is easy to follow.

I work in IT but not really hands on much now so the last charity site for something outside of work I needed I outsourced. a great guy in the PI did it for 100USD - found him at Joomlancers.

There's nothing wrong with Notepad but it's not helpful when typing code.

Notepad++ I recommended earlier is just as simple and it shows your code in color, so if you missed a symbol or a tag you will immediately see that something's wrong. It also makes it easier to find what you want on the page, and, unlike Notepad, shows you line numbers.

Also the hints are very useful - less mistakes when you just choose something like "background-color:" instead of hoping to spell it correctly.

>>>>

That Sukanyacondo.com website is horrible, and it has nothing to do with code - huge, screaming letters, no menu to navigate between pages, and half of every page is filled with meaningless black text on black background, presumably to fool search engines. Do they also have white fineprint on the back of every contract?

The code itself is probably ok for what they do, but if they had a dozen pages with the same layout, then changing a font size or color would have to be done manualy in every paragraph on every page.

That's why people invented CSS - one file that every page refers to for all visual things - colors, sizes, positions etc.

I've found that Dreamweaver still automatically adds nonstandard properties, particularly "width", to table cells. These days you cannot be sure how different browsers show non-standard code, these days even IE follows standards pretty strictly.