Hang Dong Big C

swain

Anyone have a opening date on the Big C Hang Dong road? Someone told me August 1st but it didn't seem far enough along for that date and sure enough August 1st has come and gone and its not looking very close to opening.

I heard Oktober.

Frankly it looks like it could be ready sooner but of course that's just the outside; there could be a whole lot of stuff & systems inside that need to be in place and be operational.

Does anyone know if it will have a Cinema? (Someone told me it would have one)

I heard Oktober.

Frankly it looks like it could be ready sooner but of course that's just the outside; there could be a whole lot of stuff & systems inside that need to be in place and be operational.

Does anyone know if it will have a Cinema? (Someone told me it would have one)

That would be something... cutting down the visits to airport plaza would be great though I have not seen any big c superstore complexes with a cinema before.

the hefty corperative tentacle reaching further outward.. sucking up and/or sealing more local 'outlets'

oh well, a new competitor in (this side of) town... yawn...

Yes, yes... but will they have a cinema? And we are missing a McDonalds out this way as well!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

I just drove past the forthcoming Big C and took a left at what may soon be known as the Airport Big C junction (I was on my way to Global House for some lime, an axe and a shovel). Whilst zipping down the slip road I am sure that I saw some fairly serious new (even newer than the Big C work) construction going on on the same plot and a sign saying something about Home Pro - I can't read Thai well enough to do it at speed on signwritten text whilst watching for traffic!

If my eyes didn't deceive me then that could be good news for those who enjoy the mall type western shopping experience and another nail in the coffin for Chiang Mai for those who hoped to avoid the retail trimmings of progress.

JxP

I can count the small retailers who I actually liked and provided good prices, good quality and good service on the fingers of one hand.

And guess what, those specific places I will still continue to use no matter how many Big C's & Tescos get built.

I assume I speak for everyone here.

EDIT: Not including fresh market vendors, I'd need way more hands and way more fingers to count good ones among those. Indeed most vegetables and everyday things we buy at the local market. But when it comes to non-fresh-food items: honestly, Big C / Carrefour etc. is the way to go.

Edited by Sanpatong

Sanpatong-
I assume I speak for everyone here.

No offense, I may agree or disagree, but never "assume" you can speak for me. You don't even know me! :o

Ditto :D Never assume anything. Just wait till Blinky reads this, he'll give you a giant well deserved serve :D

I really hope they widen the roads, and make dedicated turn lanes there as part of this construction. Three lanes isn't, when one is used for parking and motorcys fill the others. Saw a multiple fatality wreck 100 meters east of the new Big C site today. I expect it's only the beginning of many more to come.

Anyone have a opening date on the Big C Hang Dong road? Someone told me August 1st but it didn't seem far enough along for that date and sure enough August 1st has come and gone and its not looking very close to opening.

Funny posts and I recall long ago in Merka an axe and a shovel being referred to as divorce tools.

While we don't use these big stores very often I suppose it will be a convenient not to have to drive so far. And I have tried Global but for some reason most of the things I am looking for don't seem to be part of their stock or are of supremely inferior quality.

The good thing I guess is that as CM grows continually in this direction and eventually good schools are built out here, my wife will benefit in the long run, after I am comfortably dead, from the rising home prices. IF this economy keeps it together, that is..

McDonalds? Hmm, more of a Burger King kinda guy myself. Sorry TP and Tip... :o

Why should you apologise to us...I dont geditt :D

Pokin' fun, TP..

Like I would ever consider a cheese whopper over the outrageous food, location, hospitality of your wonderful restaurant!

Not gonna happen, my friend..

Pokin' fun, TP..

Like I would ever consider a cheese whopper over the outrageous food, location, hospitality of your wonderful restaurant!

Seconded :D:D

Pokin' fun, TP..

Seconded :D:D

Thirded :bah::D

Pokin' fun, TP..

Dusty..thank you for saying such wonderful things (cheque is in the post)...but I really should expect nothing less than some kind of incoherant ramblings from someone of such advanced years. :D ( I still dont geddit but <deleted> eh?) :bah:

I did notice you enjoying yourself to the max last week, drinking Sangsom with your new found American freind McGriffith, grinning from ear to ear as usual...but this time for longer, I know that Tuey was keen to get you tucked up in bed in your nightgown ...but you were having none of it.

It was really good to see you....and for so long :D

Instead of normally being the first to leave ...we almost had to kick you out :D

On a serious note: Good to see you as always and looking forward to seeing you again real soon

Edit..whoops it seems that this thread was supposed to be about Hang Dong Big C !!!!!!!!! (which just happens to be very very close to our restaurant) which maybee why it has somewhat changed direction...not the Big C ,this thread.

Edited by ThaiPauly

• 1 month later...

I have heard that it wont be till just before Xmas....but that rumour could be incorrect!

There will be a lot of work to be done inside even if the lights are on, I used to work on new supermarket openings for Waitrose back home for a while and its a very big job. It will take weeks and weeks to get all the stock ready, Global House did not open for about 3 months after the outside building was finished if my memory serves me correctly

• 1 month later...

Big C shopping center in Hang Dong finally opened today. I went and checked it out. Seems nice but unfortunately there is no cinema as previously eluded to. There is just about everything else.. Sushi restaurant, Big coffee, Swenson's, KFC .. but I could do with out this .. a Macdonald's would have been a much better choice. There is a good store for batteries ... Its an electronics store but it seems to have every shape and size of batteries. I found a battery for my cordless that they don't even sell in Thailand. Even though the place was SERIOUSLY over packed. There was NO wait for check out... they had every check stand working with not only a checker but a bag person as well. I was behind only one person and they checked me out quickly. I am kissing lotus good-bye and will not be going back. Again it was seriously over packed but no problem parking. This mall has alot going for it except something for the people to do .. like a movie theater or a bowling alley... something to do when not shopping. I mean... a good sushi place would be great to go to before a movie.. and then Swenson's afterward. So the only time I will be going to the Big C mall is when I am doing my shopping... which means I will be going to Zen or Fuji at central airport when going out. On a side note ..I did notice that Big C is embracing alot of new Chinese electronic products that I have not seen in many of the other big box stores.

Big C shopping center in Hang Dong finally opened today. I went and checked it out. Seems nice but unfortunately there is no cinema as previously eluded to. There is just about everything else.. Sushi restaurant, Big coffee, Swenson's, KFC .. but I could do with out this .. a Macdonald's would have been a much better choice.

Thanks for the update! Will probably wait until the novelty wears off a little to avoid crowds. What time did you go? This close to the end of the month, payday, usually most places are pretty empty. Macdonald's would be nice, Burger King even nicer. :o

Big C shopping center in Hang Dong finally opened today. I went and checked it out. Seems nice but unfortunately there is no cinema as previously eluded to. There is just about everything else.. Sushi restaurant, Big coffee, Swenson's, KFC .. but I could do with out this .. a Macdonald's would have been a much better choice.

Thanks for the update! Will probably wait until the novelty wears off a little to avoid crowds. What time did you go? This close to the end of the month, payday, usually most places are pretty empty. Macdonald's would be nice, Burger King even nicer. :o

I was on my way back home about noon today (after a 19-hour evening out on the town), found traffic backed up way past the govenment complex across from the airport and assumed a serious accident ahead - nope, just the opening of Big-C. There must be lots of promotions and sale prices to draw such crowds, eh? It seems strange to me but I recall long ago on the Island of Maui it was a media event when the first K-Mart opened and there were even news helicopters buzzing overhead.

Agree that a Burger King would be okay but da wife and I prefer Sizzler for their usually excellent salad bar. Hopefully they will avoid the loud kid's computer gaming complexes and the screaming loudspeakers with each department hawking their wares.

Way convenient to where we live however and the Makro is not far behind, time-wise. I have a feeling that the Hangdong Rd Lotus is going to suffer the arrival of these two stores in such close proximity.

Big C shopping center in Hang Dong finally opened today.

I should have guessed... I was on my way back home from Lotus (airport) today and saw a Thai couple seriously overloaded on their motorcycle--with bags from Big C.

Of course, they passed me, as I was pretty overloaded with bags from Lotus.

Way convenient to where we live however and the Makro is not far behind, time-wise. I have a feeling that the Hangdong Rd Lotus is going to suffer the arrival of these two stores in such close proximity.

Ahhh well... it couldn't happen to a nicer store .... not... The Hang Dong Lotus store always shut off their aircon three or four hours before they closed making it an oven and blaming it on how many people where in the store even when it was almost empty. AMAZING that now that the other two stores are about to open that they can cool the store at all hours of the day or night... and all the improvements. They didn't have to address the customer because for the area they were the only game in town. Big C alone would not be enough for me to leave Lotus but all the restaurants that come with it make it a winner.

I am gone daddy gone...

Edited by swain

One thing I noticed is that you better exit on the Hang Dong road, not the Middle Ring.. Because if you exit there, the first U-turn opportunity is a LONG way down, and with a big line of cars backed up there waiting to U-turn.

As it stands, the ONLY hypermarket with sensible entry/exit roads is Big C @ Don Chan intersection... And we know that wasn't even their doing as they inherited the fancy tunnel from Auchan. (Rest In Peace)

Edited by chanchao

One thing I noticed is that you better exit on the Hang Dong road, not the Middle Ring.. Because if you exit there, the first U-turn opportunity is a LONG way down, and with a big line of cars backed up there waiting to U-turn.

Can you enter the parking area on the Ring Road then exit on the Hang Dong road side? That would be easier for me coming from the South and not having to make a U-turn on Hang Dong road.

An article in the Nation:

Big C swings opens 'revolutionary' store

Big C will open its latest supercentre in Chiang Mai's Hang Dong district today, sating it represents a "new generation" of stores aimed at a younger group of shoppers.

The Nation