Where Have All The Potatoes Gone?

I've just come back from my local Tesco's at BTS On Nut and for the fith day running, there are no spuds in the veg section.

I had only recently discovered that I could get them at Lotus and had just started to eat what you could call 'proper' meals until Friday when they had all gone except for a few, small, deformed cracked greenish potatoes.

Why have they now all vanished?

On the unlikely offchance that God does exist and he is reading this I would like to give him the following message...

On top of everything else you've thrown at me over the years, do you really get pleasure out of making my life as difficult as possible?

What exactly have I done to wrong you?

You fat bearded f****** c***.

:o

Scamp, bless ya, have you seen the fim Bruce Almighty? watch it and dammmn the potatoes (or go buy smash, it'll be near the crisps section)  :o

Yes I did - Morgan Freeman was a nice God, but I don't believe in God.

The moment I typed that an advertising 'pop up' appeared on the screen - do you see where I'm coming from?

I need help - and not in the way that statement comes over, but I'm too much of a chicken to open myself up to the forum and seek advice from those who know me and read my posts and know my style of posting.

It's nothing to do with vegetables it's more to do with work, money and a typically unlucky sequence of events.

I keep avoiding it and dropping hints and trying to be funny so I will be liked more and therefore more likely to recieve a sympathetic response should I post a plea for advice.

I need my daily carbo potatoe intake but I want a whisky.

I think most of the spuds are grown way up north in Chiang Rai.

Prices vary from 8 to 16 baht depending on quality and season.

I was up there last month and there was very little to choose from, so maybe you are correct and the season has just ended.

From where we live in central,I thought that the season must have just started,,they have been having small beat up spuds that are half rotten and last couple of weeks have had huge nice looking spuds,but some with small sprouts starting,, I mix em with some frozen peas I got that came from belgium and mix in a nice white sauce made with a butter/flour roux and knock your self out when served with a nice Salt Roast NZ ribeye roast. :o:D

In Big C in CM I saw some dehiderated mash spuds on the shelf,,was going to buy some but slipped my mind and we left without em,,so you might find some in a store as they do have em here.

Your correct saying that there come from Chang Mai,i bought some yesterday from Buriram market and there were are delicious,I asked the market trader about consistency and she said that Chang Mai has some form of monolopy on Farang potatoe, ? could not get my head around realy what she was trying to explain to me :o Anyway best tattys so far in the last 3 months but exspensive. :D

I didn't see how much a kilo,but the market here in Phetchabun had the good ones and the price did seem a little steep. But the vegs is on the end of the meat isle and it stinks so bad that I do not take longer than I have to to get what I need and getty ass out.

And the flies are as thick as kamakazi at the invasion of Okinawa. :o

I think most of the spuds are grown way up north in Chiang Rai.

Prices vary from 8 to 16 baht depending on quality and season.

I was up there last month and there was very little to choose from, so maybe you are correct and the season has just ended.

Potatoes are available year round in Chiangmai althought the price is a bit more than quoted here.

In fact potatoes are <deleted> expensive in Thailand when compared with Oz/NZ (not sure what they are in Ireland)

You would get 5 kg's in NZ for the price of 1kg here.

I was sitting next to a guy on an international flight (into the realm) he was with Frito Lay and they had people growing here on contract.

Couldn't get enough to meet their requirements.

because spuds require sandy loam soil,and we have only clay,as in most of thailand,A lot of the worlds finest spuds are grown at Moses Lake Washington,and is high desert country that was without water before the Grand Coolie and other big Dams were built on the columbia river, Now you can buy 5 kilo of huge #1 USDA baking potatoes for a dollar.

Most of your large US corps. that use Freedom Fries[french fries til Iraq war] are made by Nestle co. there. :o

Scamp, you poor soul. Next time you're in Pattaya, look me up and I'll have prepared for you the following:

Roast potatoes

Potatoes Au Gratin

Mashed Potatoes

Double baked potatoes

Desert will be a few mgs. of Xanax and one for the road.

Try Carrefour. They have the biggest and nicest looking ones (at least they do in Pattaya). Good luck on your quest.

Your correct saying that there come from Chang Mai,i bought some yesterday from Buriram market and there were are delicious,I asked the market trader about consistency and she said that Chang Mai has some form of monolopy on Farang potatoe, ? could not get my head around realy what she was trying to explain to me :o Anyway best tattys so far in the last 3 months but exspensive. :D

There is definitly an opening here for an enterprising Paddy. He he

Suppose (just suppose...) that I wanted to buy decent quality baking potatos like you get back home in those 56kg bags (like you get back home). Anyone know of a supplier in BKK?

I used to buy these big baking potatos in 56kg bags because they last so long without going soft/rotten...

cheers

I have always had good success at getting spuds at Foodland, Villa foodshop and The Mall Food Centres. Usually quite large size and good for baking too. If you don't have to eat potatoes everyday then they aren't too expensive.

I guess they can't grow the lovely red spuds here in this climate. Idaho and Washington state still grow the best in the west.British tatties good too I believe.