What Is Wrong With The Internet Today?

heybruce

My connection worked fine at 3:00 p.m. today, but since the early evening it has barely functioned. I'm surprised I got to Thai Visa, I can't get to my e-mail. I use that wonderful TT&T ADSL and a hard wire connection to my laptop. Is it just here, or are other people having problems?

Same here .. I have servers in the usa all on the same backbone, I could reach only half of them. Thai Visa I could get to but it would only load the top of the site and no content below it, I think it was hung up on something from google.. But I remotely connected to another server here in Thailand and there was no problem there. I think it was limited to TT&T.

Yesterday and today I've been mainly going through 'CSLOXINFO ADSL' and 'INET-BROADBAND-CMI' with no issues. Mainly US sites.

Also been using 'TOT ADSL', 'TTTNET', accessing US-based sites with no apparent problems.

If you're having trouble with particular routes then try setting up a proxy.

Yep, twatnet also. I was just saying to myself how good it has been of late (on Premier) and then it goes tits up! Pretty sure they're up to something and then they have the balls to say that it's probably my router that's at fault. I love it here, but this blatant lying to save face really gets on my f***ing tits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :o

Proxy Server

You've got two steps: 1) Finding a server 2) Setting up.

1) Finding: Go here: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/ You need to note the IP address and port.

2) Setup: Go here: http://www.beloit.edu/~isr/proxy.php

This method is tedious so I also recommend you use Firefox and the Switch Proxy extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/125

If you can only access Thai sites then you need to find a proxy in Thailand (difficult). If you only have trouble accessing sites in US then you need to be looking at a proxy in Europe.

Sorry this is not exactly 10 year old level.

Seems that TT&T is attempting to implement some sort of traffic management or URL filtering system and it is not going well. Also seems to be limitied to this area as I have not seem similar complaints on other local forums.

Hopefully they'll get some help with this "service enhancement technology" on Monday.

I was going to suggest the same, or to use 'mail.live.com'.

Weird isn't it, that problem... Makes it sound like their DNS is a mess, but that's not the case either because I tried using an independent DNS (OpenDNS) and still couldn't get to some sites when there was a problem.

on tt&t/ maxnet as well. :D so nothing for the past 4 days except for the thai sites and BBC as mentioned by Chas.

Had to come to the local int. shop to access my mail.

rung the tt&t people and the techician had me turn on/off the modem router and go thru all my connections with no avail, even thou I said all was ok with the thai sites. She came back to me an hour later saying it was at their end, saying that it will be back to full speed, what ever that means by next week :o

surprised she didnt know what was going on, unless she was playing dumb.

dont suppose I can get 1/4 of my bill reduced for limited service?? yeah right!

Sansai, TOT ADSL down all day today. Just came back on about 6:30PM. Also friends in Mae Rim said they were down.

Just bragged to a friend yesterday how well my ADSL has been working. Teach me to keep my mouth shut! :o

Ditto with TOT ADSL in the old city, from this morning until this evening. Major drag. First phone call to TOT in the morning said that it would be up by 1 or 2 p.m. Still wasn't up and the second call at 2:30 p.m. said it wouldn't be on until tomorrow, but even better, it came back up this evening.

TOT ADSL was down most of today nationwide. Due to the fact it was a holiday and the main technician was still to pissed to come in to work so he sent his wifes brothers cousin from Klong Toey to have a look at it, only to find it was lunchtime and has she hadn't eaten in 30 minutes. Due to the fact she had "no power" to carry on she just went home and forgot the task at hand... Hence todays problems. :o

Based on the preceeding replies, I'd think anyone who could bring fast, reliable internet service to Chiang Mai would be mobbed by people eager to sign up. But I'm sure the people making money on the current slow and unreliable service are too well connected to allow competition into the market.

dont suppose I can get 1/4 of my bill reduced for limited service?? yeah right!

I was told by the TT&T staff in the office in Airport Plaza that it had to be down for 2 weeks before they'll compensate! <deleted>! :o