Retiring In Thailand With A Thai Wife

My thai wife of 32 years wishes to return home, and hope's i can go as well, with little hassel. In my case since i have a Thai wife, what type of Visa do i apply for?

Congratulation on your 32 years of marriage. That is an achievement indeed these days. I suggest you apply at any Thai Consulate in your country for a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant-O-Visa. This is the easiest to obtain and will allow you to stay in Thailand for 1 year, in fact if done right 15 months. Do not be confused, within that 1 year this type of visa requires you leave the country every 90 days so as to activate your next 90 days.

This particular visa gives you all the possibilities to extend based on your marriage or even seek an Extension for Retirement within Thailand. If we knew where you come from, what age and what income you could show, we could even better serve you.

" Do not be confused, within that 1 year this type of visa requires you leave the country every 90 days so as to activate your next 90 days."

If you are referring to an Non-Immigrant Visa based on retirement, it is not necessary to leave every 90 days. All one has to do is report (address, etc.) to Thai Immigration

every 90 days, in other words, file the "TM. 47 - Form for Alien To Notify of Staying Longer than 90 Days." Now, there are penalties for taking longer than 90 days to report; however, and, it may be up to the immigration officer, a 'grace' period of 42 days is generally applied if/when one is late in reporting.

If your wife has been out of Thailand for 32 years, there is some process she may need to go through to 're-activate' her citizenship.

1. You can apply for a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa that will pre-qualify you for a one year permitted to stay stamp on arrival. You obtain from Consulate with police report/medical and marriage paperwork (being over age 50) and a bank account in home country of 800k or more.

2. You can apply for a multi entry non immigrant O visa to invistigate retirement options. This would allow 90 day stays on any entry for a one year period from date of issue. You could then extend your stay at Immigration inside Thailand with 800k in Thai bank account for 3 months or 65k pension or combination.

My thai wife of 32 years wishes to return home, and hope's i can go as well, with little hassel. In my case since i have a Thai wife, what type of Visa do i apply for?

I just did the same thing in Feb. I got a multi entry 'O' visa. Actually the multi entry was a waste of money as I changed to a retirement (O-A) visa very quickly. I wanted to get it all sorted, driving licence..the lot.

I went the pension way....more than 65000Baht/month. Came on a one-way tick etc etc. You might want to think about medical insurance.

pm me if you want any more but there are lots of threads about this

I just did the same thing in Feb. I got a multi entry 'O' visa. Actually the multi entry was a waste of money as I changed to a retirement (O-A) visa very quickly. I wanted to get it all sorted, driving licence..the lot.

I went the pension way....more than 65000Baht/month. Came on a one-way tick etc etc. You might want to think about medical insurance.

Are you allowed into Thailand on a NON O with only a oneway air ticket?As when i have visited it states that you need a onward flight ticket.

Are you allowed into Thailand on a NON O with only a oneway air ticket?As when i have visited it states that you need a onward flight ticket.

We travelled ETHAID business, an e-ticket, I confirmed with them that they would let us board the plane at Heathrow. They noted on the e-ticket that I had a Thai wife and was going there to retire. I made sure that there would be not problem. Our issuing agent westeastravel, were a bit concerned and they also talked to ETHAID.

Actually I probably wouldnt fly with them again. We did it because they offered us 40Kgs each, in fact we were above this but no problem and collected us in a limo from home FOC. Flight good, food good and lay flat beds ok but we were delayed 3 Hrs plus in Abu Dhabi, waiting for a connection flight to come in from France so they said. So it ended up a long journey in time.

spelling edit!!

Edited by John45

We travelled ETHAID business, an e-ticket, I confirmed with them that they would let us board the plane at Heathrow. They noted on the e-ticket that I had a Thai wife and was going there to retire. I made sure that there would be not problem. Our issuing agent westeastravel, were a bit concerned and they also talked to ETHAID.

Actually I probably wouldnt fly with them again. We did it because they offered us 40Kgs each, in fact we were above this but no problem and collected us in a limo from home FOC. Flight good, food good and lay flat beds ok but we were delayed 3 Hrs plus in Abu Dhabi, waiting for a connection flight to come in from France so they said. So it ended up a long journey in time.

spelling edit!!

i am doing the same(only married 20 yrs!!!!)

I am arriving next week on 'O'.

How long were you in Thailand before appplying for O-A visa?

Did you need a police record check?

Did you need a Thai medical certificate?

What office did you apply?

for Lopburi3- please dont be offended a 'newbie' checking with others :o

P

...a 'newbie' checking with others :o

P

It’s always good to read a recent real-life story from another member. Myself, I haven’t gone the retirement route, at least not yet.

From me, just a small note on terminology: what John did and what you will do after arrival in Thailand is apply for an annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement, not for an O-A visa.

Best wishes for your retirement in Thailand!

--------------

Maestro

...a 'newbie' checking with others :D

P

It's always good to read a recent real-life story from another member. Myself, I haven't gone the retirement route, at least not yet.

From me, just a small note on terminology: what John did and what you will do after arrival in Thailand is apply for an annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement, not for an O-A visa.

--------------

Maestro

Thank you -do you know the answers I asked John45 regarding police/medical?

Pontious :o

For an annual extension of stay for retirement, neither police report nor medical certificate are required. However, there was a post recently about one particular Immigration office – can’t remember which one but not Bangkok – did ask for the medical certificate.

--

Maestro

...a 'newbie' checking with others :D

P

It's always good to read a recent real-life story from another member. Myself, I haven't gone the retirement route, at least not yet.

--------------

Maestro

Thank you -do you know the answers I asked John45 regarding police/medical?

Pontious :o

Correct you don't need either.

OK This is what I did. I got it sorted basically straight away, just incase there were any problems. You can see full details..Thai visa Home Page..Non-Imm visas..O-A visa

I had an ‘O’ visa ( I wasted my money on multi-entry)

I already had a bank account with Bangkok Bank. Didn’t have any problems opening it last time I was here. It only had a few thousand baht in it, but I wasn’t asked to show it.

I took details of my pension to the British Embassy, Consulate section. They charged me something like 1783 Baht for a letter. It’s a rip off, but you have no option. I have read somewhere that you then have to take this letter to the Ministry of Foreign Affaires and get it stamped..I didn’t...I also got a letter saying where I live, for my driving licence, at the same time, another 1782 Baht or there abouts. Bring an IDP with you, you then don't have to take a driving test, just eye sight and reaction time.

You need a copy of your passport. I copied, photo page and visa page.

You then go to Bangkok Immigration..Don’t drive the parking is really difficult. It’s best to go early and not on a Monday. Get the application form (TM7) and complete it. You need a photo (4cm*6cm).There is glue there to stick it onto the form.

Get in the queue at the front desk and get a ticket, your form must be completed by this time.

Find out where to go. When your number come up…see the lady

It’s obviously best to have your wife with you, no matter how good your Thai is.

I think it costs about 1900 baht. (not 500Baht as the info shows). Pay in Thai currency.

I also got a Re-entry Permit (single) at the same time (1000 baht) so that I can leave Thailand once in the next twelve months.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulation on your 32 years of marriage. That is an achievement indeed these days. I suggest you apply at any Thai Consulate in your country for a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant-O-Visa. This is the easiest to obtain and will allow you to stay in Thailand for 1 year, in fact if done right 15 months. Do not be confused, within that 1 year this type of visa requires you leave the country every 90 days so as to activate your next 90 days.

This particular visa gives you all the possibilities to extend based on your marriage or even seek an Extension for Retirement within Thailand. If we knew where you come from, what age and what income you could show, we could even better serve you.

USA, 55 years, US Mil-Ret

How about being married and over 50 retired?

In this case it is your choice whether you want to it the easy way, ie extension for retirement, or the hard way, ie extension to live with Thai wife.

Please note, however, that if you choose the extension for retirement, this will not let you apply for a work permit if you would want to work.

--

Maestro

Same boat, retired military I found that getting everything done in the states was a breeze, arrived in thailand with the "oa" in hand and did not have too worry for a year except for the 90day reports which are free and no problem. after the first year the wife and I have had no problems at all getting our permission to extend...............Use your 1099 in the states or Thailand for proof of monies.

Same boat, retired military I found that getting everything done in the states was a breeze, arrived in thailand with the "oa" in hand and did not have too worry for a year except for the 90day reports which are free and no problem. after the first year the wife and I have had no problems at all getting our permission to extend...............Use your 1099 in the states or Thailand for proof of monies.

Did you use the Thai Embassy or an "agent visa company"