Is The Doi Saket Area Really Hotter Than The Hang Dong Area

Sanpatong

My wife is adamant that the Doi Saket area is not as cool, weather wise, as the Hang Dong area. Does anyone else believe this is so?

I'm not talking about obvious mountain areas (Hang Dong district goes all the way past Kritsada Doi towards close to Samoeng), but the flat bits where you'd find houses. Say the Canal Road area, Hang Dong Road area, etc.

Doesn't have to be a temperature thing, it can also be 'perceived' coolness due to things cooling down quicker, better/cooler air flow from the hills, etc.

In the rainly season Chiang Mai seems to get air-flow coming from the South-West, so for the Hang Dong area that would mean air coming from the mountains; for Doi Saket that would mean air coming from the city.

My wife is adamant that the Doi Saket area is not as cool, weather wise, as the Hang Dong area. Does anyone else believe this is so?

I'm not talking about obvious mountain areas (Hang Dong district goes all the way past Kritsada Doi towards close to Samoeng), but the flat bits where you'd find houses. Say the Canal Road area, Hang Dong Road area, etc.

Doesn't have to be a temperature thing, it can also be 'perceived' coolness due to things cooling down quicker, better/cooler air flow from the hills, etc.

In the rainly season Chiang Mai seems to get air-flow coming from the South-West, so for the Hang Dong area that would mean air coming from the mountains; for Doi Saket that would mean air coming from the city.

now i know why santa claus normally stays in hang dong area when he visits chiang mai. and i thought it was the higher percentage of farangs living there. thanks for pointing that out :o

I don't know about these areas in particular, but I commonly hear Thai friends of mine from Chiang Mai saying how X or Y place in the north is hotter than Chiang Mai. I especially got that when I was in the process of moving to Phayao. "Oh, it's going to be hot there, much hotter than Chiang Mai," was what I heard all the time. And I've heard it about Lampang & other places too. At least in the case of Phayao it turned out to be flat wrong. I began to wonder if it's kind of an automatic reaction to a relatively unknown place.

I could be wrong, but I guess it is lit by the sun longer throughout the day than the area up towards Doi Suthep?

Being more northern it would get a bit more daylight yes. (Even further North you get into 24 hour daylight and Northern Lights and shit. During the summer months anyway. ) :o

I could be wrong, but I guess it is lit by the sun longer throughout the day than the area up towards Doi Suthep?

Being more northern it would get a bit more daylight yes. (Even further North you get into 24 hour daylight and Northern Lights and shit. During the summer months anyway. ) :D

can I have some of what youre smokin? :o

Being more northern it would get a bit more daylight yes. (Even further North you get into 24 hour daylight and Northern Lights and shit. During the summer months anyway. ) :D

can I have some of what youre smokin? :D

When your done, pass it my way. Unbelievable.. :o

Expanding a little it on what CM Das said, I wonder if it's also a case of natives of a particular area venturing out during the daytime to any other area, which will then be scorching hot, and then when they return to their own comfort zone / house etc in the afternoon, it's already a lot cooler compared to walking around the shacks at Ban Tawai!