Is Thailand Still The Land Of Smiles ?

mark100

8 years ago when i first starting coming to Thailand i thought i died and gone to heaven, a few years on and a wife and 3 year old daughter things have changed somewhat, but i still rate Thailand as the no 1 place in asia to live.

Many of my friends are moaning about everything being so expensive now compared to a few years ago, and a few haved moved to Vietnam and Cambodia, but is life there so much better than Thailand, i doubt it??

l've been back in the Uk a while now and you only have to look at how much everything costs to realise what a wonderful place Thailand really is. Houses prices in the south of england approaching £300,000, petrol nearly £1 a litre and a pint of beer nearly £3 and no beautiful thai women to look at !!

So next time your in a bar looking at some of the most stunning women in the world don't moan about your beer costing 60 baht, just remember how lucky you are to be there!!

Is Thailand still no 1 ??? :o:D:D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 years ago when i first starting coming to Thailand i thought i died and gone to heaven, a few years on and a wife and 3 year old daughter things have changed somewhat, but i still rate Thailand as the no 1 place in asia to live.

Many of my friends are moaning about everything being so expensive now compared to a few years ago, and a few haved moved to Vietnam and Cambodia, but is life there so much better than Thailand, i doubt it??

l've been back in the Uk a while now and you only have to look at how much everything costs to realise what a wonderful place Thailand really is. Houses prices in the south of england approaching £300,000, petrol nearly £1 a litre and a pint of beer nearly £3 and no beautiful thai women to look at !!

So next time your in a bar looking at some of the most stunning women in the world don't moan about your beer costing 60 baht, just remember how lucky you are to be there!!

I don't know where you went in the South of England but costs can be much higher than you suggest.

I've never understood the line "most stunning women in the World" when talking about Thai girls in a bar. Compared to vitually anywhere I've been (North Europe, Central Europe, Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Central America, South America, South Adia, East Asia...) they are unattractive at best. Little, generally slender young looking women is perhaps what you mean.

Within Asia, I'd much rather live in Singapore, HK or Japan, but as quite a poor chap, Thailand is a good cheap option. Nothing more than that.

Land of smiles? Well the land office were smiling when forcing me to pay them tea money the other day...

I have to agree with the original post I have been back just a week things are expensive but comparitively so. What people like about Thailand is probably a western salary or pension will go so much further. Nice to know you can have a nice house etc without having to spend 25+ years working for it. Cars are cheaper a Triton here is about £18000 in Thailand less than £10000.

Many things can annoy you with Thailand it depends what you can live with nowhere is perfect.

I think the land of smiles things is just tourist rubbish personally, there is a lot going on behind the scenes they dont want tourists to know.

I don't know where you went in the South of England but costs can be much higher than you suggest.

I've never understood the line "most stunning women in the World" when talking about Thai girls in a bar. Compared to vitually anywhere I've been (North Europe, Central Europe, Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Central America, South America, South Adia, East Asia...) they are unattractive at best. Little, generally slender young looking women is perhaps what you mean.

Within Asia, I'd much rather live in Singapore, HK or Japan, but as quite a poor chap, Thailand is a good cheap option. Nothing more than that.

Land of smiles? Well the land office were smiling when forcing me to pay them tea money the other day...

Can see where your coming from, Brazilian girls are something else!

I have to agree with the original post I have been back just a week things are expensive but comparitively so. What people like about Thailand is probably a western salary or pension will go so much further. Nice to know you can have a nice house etc without having to spend 25+ years working for it. Cars are cheaper a Triton here is about £18000 in Thailand less than £10000.

Many things can annoy you with Thailand it depends what you can live with nowhere is perfect.

I think the land of smiles things is just tourist rubbish personally, there is a lot going on behind the scenes they dont want tourists to know.

l think the current political situation is hurting the country but probably best not to go into that on this forum! :o

You are comparing apples with oranges.

Thailand is not cheap at all if one has to live on a normal Thai salary.

Thailand has a severe political crises.

Thailand has no universal health scheme.

Thailand has only the rudiments of social security, and only for the few lucky ones whose qualifications are good enough to get a contract job in a factory, nothing though for labors in the informal sector or small scale farmers.

But yes, no problem - go to a bar and buy a few smiles there.

Essentially, if you have money, its ok and rosey. If you don't, then it's pretty crp to be in Thailand. This is the same in any country, even in 'rich' countries like the UK and the USA.

Thailand may seem a little different to us now, but we've been coming to LOS for a while, so have gotten used to it somewhat. The girls in Asia generally are more attractive to the western eye. Nice, small, hold their age well and friendly to men. Try finding all four of those qualities in Europe or the US and you'll be a lucky man :o

They ain't perfect and neithers the country, but I'd take a semi-wild west, corrupt country over a lame, boring and over-regulated one any day of the week.

You are comparing apples with oranges.

Thailand is not cheap at all if one has to live on a normal Thai salary.

Thailand has a severe political crises.

Thailand has no universal health scheme.

Thailand has only the rudiments of social security, and only for the few lucky ones whose qualifications are good enough to get a contract job in a factory, nothing though for labors in the informal sector or small scale farmers.

But yes, no problem - go to a bar and buy a few smiles there.

Was really aiming my question at falangs, expats who could compare Thailand to there own country. Totally agree with what you're saying, but for the average westerner living here quality of life is very good compared to their own country.

Essentially, if you have money, its ok and rosey. If you don't, then it's pretty crp to be in Thailand. This is the same in any country, even in 'rich' countries like the UK and the USA.

Thailand may seem a little different to us now, but we've been coming to LOS for a while, so have gotten used to it somewhat. The girls in Asia generally are more attractive to the western eye. Nice, small, hold their age well and friendly to men. Try finding all four of those qualities in Europe or the US and you'll be a lucky man :o

They ain't perfect and neithers the country, but I'd take a semi-wild west, corrupt country over a lame, boring and over-regulated one any day of the week.

Totally agree with you. :D

Was really aiming my question at falangs, expats who could compare Thailand to there own country. Totally agree with what you're saying, but for the average westerner living here quality of life is very good compared to their own country.

That though is a bit of a holiday attitude.

The average working stiff farang has more or less no hope to get a job with work permit and good salary, even teaching English without the right qualifications is hardly possible anymore without using the different visa services who are also increasingly cracked down upon.

And when those farang run out of funds and continue to stay despite, life in the Land of Smile is getting very ugly.

Thailand used to be the Land of Smiles........

Now there are too many whinging, moaning, miserable Farangs cluttering up the place.

Get rid of them and yes, it's still the Land of Smiles.

:o

So, when are you leaving? :D

I like lame, regulated, corruption free countries myself. Ones where the "small man" has a chance. The inherant corruption in every government institution really drags me down.

It happens everywhere I know but I've become very aware of it during my time here.

Watching Colonel Somchai buy a new BMW with the money he has stolen off of my friends / fellow social memebers / normal people, really pisses me off.

(God only knows why I've spent the last few years here...)

As soon as I can get hold of an apathetic, look after myself first, kind of attitude the happier I'll be. And I don't mean that comment as a slight to others, just a personal observation.

The average working stiff farang has more or less no hope to get a job with work permit and good salary, even teaching English without the right qualifications is hardly possible anymore without using the different visa services who are also increasingly cracked down upon.

And when those farang run out of funds and continue to stay despite, life in the Land of Smile is getting very ugly.

l think the work situation has always been pretty bad, the crackdown on english teachers was needed it seemed anyone from western Europe or the USA could get a job teaching no matter what there background was. If it was my thai child being taught i would want someone with the proper qualifications and at least a college if not university background. Having the abilty to babble a few words in english does'nt make you a teacher. l spent many years working as a personal trainer but after do my first basic gym course i went to college and learned how to teach!

Do agree life in Thailand is no fun without money, but then life anywhere without money isn't a barrel of laughs.

Yep.... it pays to be cynical here.

Thailand's......corrupt......violent......racist......opportunist......and obsequious.......

Fawning farangs showing undeserved respect to the mercenary and 'take-all' Thais they come into contact with - doesn't help matters much either - particularly in the tourist areas of Phuket, Samui and Pattaya.

Thailand is all about the patronage system.....money and power......

"Farang" - in most cases - is seen as Mr. Open Wallet!

Yep.... it pays to be cynical here.

Thailand's......corrupt......violent......racist......opportunist......and obsequious.......

Fawning farangs showing undeserved respect to the mercenary and 'take-all' Thais they come into contact with - doesn't help matters much either - particularly in the tourist areas of Phuket, Samui and Pattaya.

Thailand is all about the patronage system.....money and power......

"Farang" - in most cases - is seen as Mr. Open Wallet!

I agree with you Yoko. These stupid sap farangs who think they've entered the inner chambers of Thai society have no idea how much their Thai partners are laughing at them.

l think the work situation has always been pretty bad, the crackdown on english teachers was needed it seemed anyone from western Europe or the USA could get a job teaching no matter what there background was. If it was my thai child being taught i would want someone with the proper qualifications and at least a college if not university background. Having the abilty to babble a few words in english does'nt make you a teacher. l spent many years working as a personal trainer but after do my first basic gym course i went to college and learned how to teach!

Do agree life in Thailand is no fun without money, but then life anywhere without money isn't a barrel of laughs.

Your post IMHO is irrelevant and redundant.

There are many fine teachers here contributing vastly to the education of Thai children and youths who do not have, in the proper sense, the so-called desired academic qualifiactions.

Figure that out!

There are many fine teachers here contributing vastly to the education of Thai children and youths who do not have, in the proper sense, the so-called desired academic qualifiactions.

Figure that out!

Obviously you are an english teacher and have took this totally the wrong way, im sure there are plenty of good teachers out there, but there are some who should'nt be doing this job and legislation is well over due.

As soon as I can get hold of an apathetic, look after myself first, kind of attitude the happier I'll be.

Yes, you will be happier, and maybe you can join Somchai in the BMW showroom too. :o

The problem being that I have some moral values, self-respect and integrity. I can make do with using the BTS for the time being.

Most people obviously have a different experience here than I do.

Why are people here or posting here if they hate Thailand so much? I just don't get it.

Nobody hates it here, or we wouldn't be here.

Living here on a day to day basis for years; working, buying apartments, eating, experiencing different things, you pick up a greater understanding of the place. It's not 100% rosy.

The thread topic is about time and change. Is it still the LOS? Things are changing, and people are adding comments as per the thread title.

My opinion is that Thai people prefer to smile for numerous reasons, but it's getting harder for them to manage it...

(maybe this is the World in general?)

Figure that out!

Obviously you are an english teacher and have took this totally the wrong way, im sure there are plenty of good teachers out there, but there are some who should'nt be doing this job and legislation is well over due.

On danger of derailing your thread - but present legislation has nothing to do with reality.

Reality is that there still is a dire need for native English teachers, especially in rural areas. The salaries offered though will hardly attract anyone with proper qualifications. But enthusiastic non-qualified teachers will work for that money, and in most cases will be absolutely sufficient.

A university degree does not necessarily make a great teacher.

And no, i am not a teacher, neither would i want to be one. But i would not mind my son being taught by a enthusiastic teacher without degree.

Figure that out!

On danger of derailing your thread - but present legislation has nothing to do with reality.

Reality is that there still is a dire need for native English teachers, especially in rural areas. The salaries offered though will hardly attract anyone with proper qualifications. But enthusiastic non-qualified teachers will work for that money, and in most cases will be absolutely sufficient.

A university degree does not necessarily make a great teacher.

And no, i am not a teacher, neither would i want to be one. But i would not mind my son being taught by a enthusiastic teacher without degree.

l can see your points, with regards to salaries l think it is always going to be a struggle for expats here, unless of course you work for a larger multi-national company and get all the benefits, which not many of us do.

Without wanting to keep harping on about the teaching situation, i would agree with you rural areas do need help, but it has to be the right kind of help from the right people. Background checks on nationals arriving from other countries are needed when they are coming into contact with children, whether the goverment are doing this l don't know.