"traceroute" For Email?

JuniorExPat

I am sending email to a correct email address,

the email is not arriving,

email from other sources is arriving,

the recipient is not computer savvy,

is there a way that I can trace where the email that I am sending is ending up so that the recipient can give this information to the "help"desk to counter the SEP (Somebody Else's Problem) field that they keep throwing up.

Thanks in advance,

JxP

What service is the person your sending to using? do you have to be on the contect list or the message goes to the bulk mail box. look in that junk mail box. If its not being rejected with a notice then it is most like to be there just not in the inbox. Most return reciept services were shut down as a privicy issue so I am not sure how would trace it.

edit PS if you have a message from them send a reply not a new message use reply it must go back to where it came from and check that the reply addy is the same as the messages that went missing. If the reply work and goes to the inbox and the address is the same then the others are in the junk box.

Edited by RKASA

What service is the person your sending to using? do you have to be on the contect list or the message goes to the bulk mail box. look in that junk mail box. If its not being rejected with a notice then it is most like to be there just not in the inbox. Most return reciept services were shut down as a privicy issue so I am not sure how would trace it.

edit PS if you have a message from them send a reply not a new message use reply it must go back to where it came from and check that the reply addy is the same as the messages that went missing. If the reply work and goes to the inbox and the address is the same then the others are in the junk box.

I can send to other users at the same ISP.

I'm not getting any rejection notice emails back so I figured that same as you - emails must be arriving in a different folder/box but neither the user nor the "help"desk can find emails landing in a junk or similar folder. This is why I was hoping that there may be a way to 'traceroute'.

They can send to me and I have replied directly but with no success.

This interweb thingy is just never going to catch on!

Thanks,

JxP

If you send a reply and they don't get it and there is no rejection notice then the ISP or mail service if web based has to know where the email went. It can't go anywhere but back to the sender. I don't think any kind of re direact is set up that would forward a reply from someone, and a reply should not go in the junk box only to the inbox. can they have more then one box? open another at the same site and see if it keeps happening.

Guest Reimar

An other possibility is that the mail from you still is recognized as "Spam"!

Depends on the setup of the mail server of the receipient it is possible that something in the header of your Mails, a Subject, an attachment like a Background other than standard or something else is causing the problem. Programs like Mailwasher can filterout mails which the receipient will never know that this mail was send already and many other possible point of to delete the mails "on the way"!

To fimnd out what causing the problems could be a adventure! Best way for you is just to try to use a different SMTP Server for sending Mail and if is just for to checkout! I would start excactly here! If the mail goes through from a different SMTP than you need to check with the receipient all possibilities!

Have fun for this!

Are you sure at the receiving end the spam filter is not set to automatically delete spam messages?

With my mail server I can chose to just mark the suspected spam messages with a spam tag, to allow me to quickly browse through them so no genuine message accidentally gets deleted.

I can also choose to delete suspected spam messages at the mail servers, so they will never even arrive in a junk box or whatever. Just instant deletion.

Maybe the spamfilter at his ISP is set like that, instant deletion without a trace of suspected spam...

The problem has been resolved embarrassingly easily! Thank you very much for all the input.

The recipient is [email protected], the tech who (recently) set up Outlook Express for xxx.xxxx set up the reply-to address as xxx.xxxx@btinternet.com, there seems to be a user by the name of xxx.xxxx at this alternatively named ISP consequently we arrived at this situation!!

Problem now solved.

JxP

There are many reasons why this can happen.

I have frequently problems with recipients who have hotmail or aol accounts.

Even using SMTP servers of gmail did not help because my dynamic IP address was apparently blocked.

Never got a bounce or notification, the mail just disappeared into cyberspace.

If this happens I usually revert back to a dial-up with a different ISP.

It could also be that the recipient accidentally blocked your address.

opalhort

EDIT: forget this post, it obviously crossed yours

Edited by opalhort

The problem has been resolved embarrassingly easily! Thank you very much for all the input.

The recipient is [email protected], the tech who (recently) set up Outlook Express for xxx.xxxx set up the reply-to address as xxx.xxxx@btinternet.com, there seems to be a user by the name of xxx.xxxx at this alternatively named ISP consequently we arrived at this situation!!

Problem now solved.

JxP

Hehehe that's a new one, never heard that before :o