Which Teaching Insituition Should I Go To?

Hi guys,

I would like to come to bangkok to reside for a period of time & while doing so, I would like to teach english too.

I have check out the webbie Ajarn.com on which insituition to start my teaching course but I do not know which insituition certificate is recognised.

Would you guys or any of the foreign teachers in thailand advise me on which insituition to take up? I have a high school qualification & a diploma cert in business & marketing.

A thousand thanks in advance!

:o

First I thought it was a spelling mistake but it wasn't. Why don't you consider trying to stay where you are now? With your natural teaching talent you may find other occupations maybe of more interest, outside Thailand preferably as this is a developing country.

Good luck!

Dutchy

PS You could also consider starting your own language school using your own unique grammar!

First I thought it was a spelling mistake but it wasn't. Why don't you consider trying to stay where you are now? With your natural teaching talent you may find other occupations maybe of more interest, outside Thailand preferably as this is a developing country.

Good luck!

Dutchy

PS You could also consider starting your own language school using your own unique grammar!

Hate you Dutchy2......you stole my thunder!.

Great post.

Preceptor,

By all means PM me I work at a school (and have done for 4 years). I'll help as best I can and not make sarcy comments that have no relevance to your questions.

My Mum always used to say if you ain't (she used haven't though) got nothing nice to say......!

Preceptor,

By all means PM me I work at a school (and have done for 4 years). I'll help as best I can and not make sarcy comments that have no relevance to your questions.

My Mum always used to say if you ain't (she used haven't though) got nothing nice to say......!

Would you want this individual to teach your children Ken?

Is teaching so simple that anyone can be a teacher? I really wonder whether it would be in the interest of Thailand that you're trying to help this person.

Dutchy

PS your mother was right, my mother used to say the same. I should have listened better huh!

I don't know the bloke from Adam so how can I tell if he's able to teach my kid? I think assuming something from one post is a bit silly. I've known some superb dyslexic teachers, some excellent teachers with crap grammar (as long as you know your weaknesses you can make sure they don't mess you up by PLANNING WELL etc.). To be honest I don't really care who teaches my son, as the education system here is pretty poor anyway....even a so so Western educated teacher here is 'generally' a ###### sight better than most Thai teachers!

Yes, I'd say a high percentage of 'normal' people can make reasonable teachers actually. I'll let Thailand JUDGE whether they're acceptable/good or not, like you say on other threads it's not OUR country to tell Thais what to do, is it?

He asked for help if you don't want to help don't, if you do...well do!

Done many hard and complicated jobs in my life, and must say, that Teaching English Conversation to Thais, is comparatively easy!

But then, I talk 'proper'........THAT is most important , innit?

Arter awl, if ya carnt speek, and spewl rite, ow kan yew teech uvers?

• 4 weeks later...

I think anyone who's managed to finish high school can probably teach up through elementary- and this has often been the extent of what was available, even with native speakers in their own countries. This inflation of degrees, where folks with B.A.'s are waiting tables, is a recent development.

TEFL quals, in my opinion, are particularly low-threshold (reflected in the length of the courses required for them) because there really isn't all that much you can do academically with very low-performing second language speakers for the one-two hours a week typical of TEFL classes here. If you've got subject-verb agreement down, plus most of the tenses, you're set grammatically. It's in class management, employment savviness, cultural understanding of Thai students/schools, teaching techniques, and discipline that I believe TEFL courses in Thailand can really shine.

If you wanna teach future perfect continuous to folks who really might understand or care what it means, teach adults or Japanese.

"Steven"

I think anyone who's managed to finish high school can probably teach up through elementary-

^ Mate there was a thread on Ajarn a while ago that actually said teaching kids is probably harder than teaching adults. IMO and to an extent IME I'd take a good kids teacher over a good (normal) adult teacher any day of the week, far more flexible.

Also the thread mentioned that quite often you're paid more to teach kids (on average) as it is (or can be) so demanding?

I agree with that, too, Ken- my point is that ACADEMIC qualifications for TEFL teaching to kids probably don't need to be too high, as long as the teacher did well in high school. Certainly all the OTHER elements (that I mentioned above) are harder and more demanding for kids!

"Steven"

If one has a degree and a TEFL so much the better.Flexibility and adjustment to any level of English proficiency depends on your training,education and experience.I would say that to be well equipped and with proper motivation one will have a wonderful time teaching here in Thailand.

Hi guys,

I would like to come to bangkok to reside for a period of time & while doing so, I would like to teach english too.

I have check out the webbie Ajarn.com on which insituition to start my teaching course but I do not know which insituition certificate is recognised.

Would you guys or any of the foreign teachers in thailand advise me on which insituition to take up? I have a high school qualification & a diploma cert in business & marketing.

A thousand thanks in advance!

The Cambridge CELTA is an internationaly recognised qualification & it's on offer in the LoS.

There are other similar courses & qualifications on offer but it is arguable whether they really are recognised worldwide.

If all you want to do is teach in the LoS then a CELTA alternative will probably suffice.

:o Didn't figure you for the type to want a cert. slagging match, Harry. I'd recommend to all those who are interested in cert. programs to do the sensible thing- shop around, check out SEVERAL of the cert. programs and compare them.

Call up some of the places you'd like to work FOR and ask them what they think about the various certs.

I have nothing against the CELTA (and it's certainly a solid class cert.) but it's not the end-all be-all of TEFL.

"Steven"

Good luck!

Dutchy

This is exactly the sort of post that the mods should be deleting.

Dutchy - If all you have to offer is sarcasm then dont bother.

When this section opened up I feared than the "normal" thai visa crowd would barge in and ruin it with comments along these lines and low and behold we have our first winner. I hope its not the trend.

This is exactly the sort of post that the mods should be deleting.

Dutchy - If all you have to offer is sarcasm then dont bother.

When this section opened up I feared than the "normal" thai visa crowd would barge in and ruin it with comments along these lines and low and behold we have our first winner. I hope its not the trend.

I'm not really familiar with George's way of 'doing things' just yet, but as one would expect - they seem somewhat different to mine. The post you hilighted Bluebear is pretty much commonplace on the ajarn forum wouldn't you agree. Why is it that it offends you here? I find it fairly innocent stuff.

"I'm not really familiar with George's way of 'doing things' just yet, but as one would expect - they seem somewhat different to mine. The post you hilighted Bluebear is pretty much commonplace on the ajarn forum wouldn't you agree. Why is it that it offends you here? I find it fairly innocent stuff. "

Phil

If you consider Dutchy's sarcastic remarks pretty innocent,

then you are running a wild wild west forum, in my opinion.

I thought it was insulting and way out of line.

Perhaps in an Aussie bar it is considered harmless .... after

all no one is bleeding on the floor. But among strangers in

a public setting, a courteous norm is required.

Didn't some other forum blow up recently because of this

sort of thing ??

:o Didn't figure you for the type to want a cert. slagging match, Harry. I'd recommend to all those who are interested in cert. programs to do the sensible thing- shop around, check out SEVERAL of the cert. programs and compare them.

Call up some of the places you'd like to work FOR and ask them what they think about the various certs.

I have nothing against the CELTA (and it's certainly a solid class cert.) but it's not the end-all be-all of TEFL.

"Steven"

i simply gave my opinion... one can take it or leave it...

neither i didn't say the CELTA was the be all & end all of TEFL...

if all you want to do is teach in the LoS then a non-CELTA alternative would be fine, might not get you the plum positions though...

by all means do your research, courses for horses as they say...

a courteous norm is required.

Paulf, I'm kinda a newbie here, but I've seen equal levels of sarcasm in other areas of this forum. I can't argue with your statement above, but unless we're all going to be self-congratulating back-slapping yes-men, it's nice to have a certain amount of thick skin here. I'd say if someone is a REGULARLY abusive poster, then yes, discipline is called for. But we're getting off-topic again, aren't we?

I second Ken's call- what're those great positions I need a CELTA for (never had one yet, and I'm doing pretty well- then again, I *do* have a bit of experience!)

"Steven"

if all you want to do is teach in the LoS then a non-CELTA alternative would be fine, might not get you the plum positions though...

Every year I hear this and every year I ask:

Name them (these plum positions) please?

that would be taking the thread off topic & george wouldn't like it... in fact he would lock it down rather rapidly...

perhaps start another thread on this particular strand of teaching & we'll sort the wheat from the chaff

Personally I don't think it would be taking it off thread (but feel free to start another one mate), because obviously if it is true what you're saying it will have relevance (sp?) to which is 'best' or most sought after? Up to you.

but you know how strict george is with us on this board... you start the thread as you are more eloquent than i am... then i'll give it what for 'plumbs' & all' :o

Would you want this individual to teach your children Ken?

Is teaching so simple that anyone can be a teacher? I really wonder whether it would be in the interest of Thailand that you're trying to help this person.

Dutchy

PS your mother was right, my mother used to say the same. I should have listened better huh!

Dutchy

The guy has made a spelling mistake, on an INTERNET CHAT BOARD.

Give him a break.

Seriously, the nature of your replies are probably the most stupid things I have read on this or any other forum.

Why do I just know your the middle aged, bald guy, sitting in the staff room alone...unpopular with all other staff...with a tonne of insecurities...and hardly a friend in the world.

Lighten up. :o

I think anyone who's managed to finish high school can probably teach up through elementary-

^ Mate there was a thread on Ajarn a while ago that actually said teaching kids is probably harder than teaching adults. IMO and to an extent IME I'd take a good kids teacher over a good (normal) adult teacher any day of the week, far more flexible.

Also the thread mentioned that quite often you're paid more to teach kids (on average) as it is (or can be) so demanding?

I think teaching kids calls on teaching skills much more than when teaching adults. Because of a limited attention span, teachers must plan better for classes, as well as having good classroom management skills... Not to mention an enormous amount of energy and patience... :o

When teaching adults, there is usually a higher level of communication between teacher and students going on, and adults are much more patient with a teacher's lack of planning- they're much less likely to bounce off the walls... :D