Put Off Thailand

I have been considering starting a business in Thailand. Reading this forum and news articles online and in print have really put me off.

I expect to be faced with private individuals looking to scam me in Thailand. But it looks like the Thai government is preparing to do this to foreigners by appropriating their assets.

I have a Pilipino friend who has recently returned to his country after a bout of consulting. His is very keen to start a business with me. I think I might be better off (and safer) going there instead.

Are Thai people, and the Thai government, unaware of the impression they are giving us? Don't they understand the consequences of a withdrawal of foreign investment and of foreign professionals leaving their country?

I think the onshore/offshore rate debacle will be enough to sour many tourists to Thailand.

I hope this doesn't tip Thailand into recession. But perhaps that would allow the Thai people to shake up their government and institutions.

They don't appear to care. They must be aware of it, but the political gains that can be made by blaming foreigners for everything is too rich a vein for them to pass up. I think you are making a very rational decision about not doing business in Thailand.

Surely all they have to do is look at Singapore and see how opening up yourself to all kinds of international investment, workers, etc has made them a rich island, so I can't imagine they are so stupid as to not realize the potential advantages of opening things up.

Edited by Jingthing

Living here I wouldn't want to start a business either.

(Although many foreigners have done so successfully.)

But, on the face of it, I'd be even more worried about doing so in the Phillipines.

None the less, good luck to you.

Edited by jasreeve17

I have been considering starting a business in Thailand. Reading this forum and news articles online and in print have really put me off.

I expect to be faced with private individuals looking to scam me in Thailand. But it looks like the Thai government is preparing to do this to foreigners by appropriating their assets.

I have a Pilipino friend who has recently returned to his country after a bout of consulting. His is very keen to start a business with me. I think I might be better off (and safer) going there instead.

Are Thai people, and the Thai government, unaware of the impression they are giving us? Don't they understand the consequences of a withdrawal of foreign investment and of foreign professionals leaving their country?

I think the onshore/offshore rate debacle will be enough to sour many tourists to Thailand.

I hope this doesn't tip Thailand into recession. But perhaps that would allow the Thai people to shake up their government and institutions.

Remember, the current government wasn't elected. So it's unfair to lump the Thai people in there. The government has been kind of flailing around doing strange things, but it's not like the Thais voted these folks in.

Frankly, the flow of foreign investment into Thailand this year has been enormous. Can't find figures right now but it's been billions of dollars. So the loss of small potential entrepreneurs isn't really going to hurt as much as many would like to believe.

The Philippines has been getting more buisiness friendly lately, but you should really spend some significant time on the ground. I don't know that's it's going to be that big a contrast.

Remember, the current government wasn't elected. So it's unfair to lump the Thai people in there. The government has been kind of flailing around doing strange things, but it's not like the Thais voted these folks in.

Frankly, the flow of foreign investment into Thailand this year has been enormous. Can't find figures right now but it's been billions of dollars. So the loss of small potential entrepreneurs isn't really going to hurt as much as many would like to believe.

The Philippines has been getting more buisiness friendly lately, but you should really spend some significant time on the ground. I don't know that's it's going to be that big a contrast.

None of this is new; the Thai people had the same attitude the OP described through countless previous administrations. It's not a matter of blame; it's a matter of fact. And while foreign investment has been large, it is moving in the opposite direction, arguably because of the non-elected government's missteps, but also in line with the old elite's desire to grab back what they lost in '97. It has ALWAYS been the farangs fault, by their account.

You have to look at the bottom line: Singapore is open. Hong Kong is/was open. Thailand is closed.

Who's doing better?

I might add that I am not so sure it should be otherwise. The same folks who decry the loss of the 'good old days', when elephants roamed Nana Plaze (oops, they still do!), and 'aw nite' was 100 baht, are often the ones who want more Western-style management and cultural acceptance, because it makes it easier for them to set up shop in the Land of Smiles, where they can still enjoy the experience, at somewhat inflated prices.

Thailand as some of us know it and love it, will necessarily disappear, as these practices are implemented. Such is progress.

Sateev

Frankly, the flow of foreign investment into Thailand this year has been enormous. Can't find figures right now but it's been billions of dollars.

what a difference a day or two make .....................................

who is investing billions in thailand?

if thailand got their business act together it would no longer be an attractive place for many of us. prices of everything would rise substantially making it just like sillypore, etc.

best to keep los just as it is...............lol.

Why would they worry more than they do? It's not an expropriation (yet) that Hugo Chavez would do.

Companies may be scaling back more investment at the moment but has anyone packed up and switched off the lights?

Manufacturers have come to Thailand for their own interest and while it is still possible to make savings by locating production in Thailand they will remain or keep on coming.

One can have a great impression of Hawaii but it is so expensive that it's almost impossible to run any sizable business there.

Frankly, the flow of foreign investment into Thailand this year has been enormous. Can't find figures right now but it's been billions of dollars.

what a difference a day or two make .....................................

Don't worry, all Thais have to do is give foreigners a good "impression" and they'll apparently flock here to save them from themselves.