How It Should Be

Rainman - I applied to set up a Singapore company which I would use as the 'tax vehicle' for my mobile phone software consultancy that I've done for 10 years or so. You only have to pay the funds when your PR is approved. I've paid about $500 US to get everything set up and have had approval for PR for myself and my Thai wife. The crazy thing is that they are happy to offer us PR when we have no intention of living in Singapore! I simply want to use the country as a business base and fly to/from Phuket as required. This was clearly stated on my application form.

So the offer of PR is a nice sweetener, should things go pear-shaped in Thailand, (which I hope will not happen...)

Simon

I've had two year long assignments in Singapore and I enjoyed both tremendously. On the work front the projects I was working on (one Pharmaceutical the other O&G) were superbly run and staffed with first class talent from around Asia and the rest of the world. I note here both projects had a number of first rate Thai staff who held their own in Singapore and would do anywhere - and I'll come back to that in a moment.

Contrary to some of the threads here, Singapore does produce a huge amount of high end manufactured products, the two projects I mentioned above are examples while on the project I'm currently working on Singapore is providing in excess of $US100 million worth of control systems (the same company are shipping similar value equipment to the project we have furhter down the coast).

Singapore manages to do this by blending their own very well educated and well trained staff with the best expertese they can get from around the globe. They mix this in a business and (foreigner) friendly environment.

I mentioned Thai staff in Singapore. Two of the engineers I met in Singapore I already knew from having met them in one of our Thai client organizations - They had been head hunted by the Singaporean company and where doing extremely well, both in personal development and in terms of promotion within the organization. (The open organization in Singapore encourages people to work hard and expect rewards for that work). Contrast that with the regidity of Thai companies and their hide bout 'Thai Style/Thai Culture' way of doing things and the problem with so many Thai companies, and hence the Thai business ecconomy becomes clear.

Then there is that 'Welcome'.

Employment Pass for me, dependents pass of my Fiancee (we were not married when we moved over) all in one easy no hassle day. And when my better half got a job offer her dependents pass was converted to an employment pass in one equally easy no fuss afternoon.

We had a great time in Singapore and finished by getting married on our last full day there.

Lots and lots of happy memories and believe me, we'd go back in the blink of an eye.

I've had two year long assignments in Singapore and I enjoyed both tremendously. On the work front the projects I was working on (one Pharmaceutical the other O&G) were superbly run and staffed with first class talent from around Asia and the rest of the world. I note here both projects had a number of first rate Thai staff who held their own in Singapore and would do anywhere - and I'll come back to that in a moment.

Contrary to some of the threads here, Singapore does produce a huge amount of high end manufactured products, the two projects I mentioned above are examples while on the project I'm currently working on Singapore is providing in excess of $US100 million worth of control systems (the same company are shipping similar value equipment to the project we have furhter down the coast).

Singapore manages to do this by blending their own very well educated and well trained staff with the best expertese they can get from around the globe. They mix this in a business and (foreigner) friendly environment.

I mentioned Thai staff in Singapore. Two of the engineers I met in Singapore I already knew from having met them in one of our Thai client organizations - They had been head hunted by the Singaporean company and where doing extremely well, both in personal development and in terms of promotion within the organization. (The open organization in Singapore encourages people to work hard and expect rewards for that work). Contrast that with the regidity of Thai companies and their hide bout 'Thai Style/Thai Culture' way of doing things and the problem with so many Thai companies, and hence the Thai business ecconomy becomes clear.

Employment Pass for me, dependents pass of my Fiancee (we were not married when we moved over) all in one easy no hassle day. And when my better half got a job offer her dependents pass was converted to an employment pass in one equally easy no fuss afternoon.

We had a great time in Singapore and finished by getting married on our last full day there.

Lots and lots of happy memories and believe me, we'd go back in the blink of an eye.

As to meritocracy and jobs in Singapore I have experience of that too. My own office is like the United Nations with Brits, German, Burmese, Filipino's, Chinese, Indian and others I bet too.

Its whoever can do the job and people are rotated too if they want experience elsewhere.

In our BKK office we wanted to promote a girl as she is bloody good. The people in another division plus HR opposed us as the person in the other division had spent 13 years with the company before getting the role and our staff member had only been there 4. The face saving solution - put "Assocoate" in the front of her job title - we got the last laugh - we pay ours more!

As someone who owns a couple companies in Singapore and Thailand (should read 'owns company in Sing, minority owns company in Thailand!'), i can unequivocally say that Sing is without doubt the most user friendly place between the two to operate, and also the easiest place to earn revenue.

That being said, it is because the market that we operate in, believe it or not, Thailand is light years ahead so we have much more competition of a higher standard. Additionally, while people think that labour is cheap in Thailand, it doesnt necessarily work out so as you generally have twice or three times the manpower to achieve the same end result that you do in Singapore. That manpower again is not as cheap as people think for the 'good' people. Transport costs in Thailand are also, comparatively not as cheap as Singapore. Given breakages, and simply timing. Taking into account that a single driver with transport could get around Singapore without using CTE, PIE etc to avoid any tolls he could get around the island to 10, maybe a dozen drop-offs throughout the working day. The same itinerary in Bangkok, distance wise, he would only get through 3 maybe 4 drop-offs because of the traffic and/or infrastructure. Maybe less if it raining!

Visa wise, Singapore for me is way easier, though its because im married to a Singaporean. We are however based in Thailand most of the time and its truly a nightmare for our visa renewals yearly. Maybe it could be easier if we used an external lawyer to do it, but my experince of them hasnt been great.

I sometimes think I must be living in a different Singapore to others

I sometimes think I must be living in a different Singapore to others

There is only one Singapore, perhaps your outlook is different.

I've lived and worked in the same professional role in both Thailand and Singapore (and almost a dozen other countries too), my experience and my wife's experience of Singapore is as I have given it.

If your's is different - tell us how.

Singapore and Thailand are very different.

Having work and do business in both countries, I think they each are unique.

Thailand is number one when you talk about friendliness; they are mostly very polite people and nice people and a bit lay back. This is the culture here.

Singapore, Hong Kong and Shanghai are more of the same. If you do not know them, you will find that they can be tough to deal with and just want to conclude business, earn your $$$ and off you go. However, I realize that Singaporean is generally trustworthy and nice people. If you know them well, you will know why they can't lose, because if they lose they have nothing. Unlike many countries in SEA, Singapore is a little dot with no resource and the people know they have to get ahead of other in order to survive and not just to be number 1.

All said, Singapore pace of living is fast and the city have become expensive. If you are a businessman, you will be happy to start a company there as the economy is booming and money can be made there. There ample of talents there and very efficient. For job seekers, well you have to be prepared to change your mindset, Singaporean generally focus very closely on dateline which is quite a big difference from the way we work here. In addition, you will have to fight hard to seek employment, especially in executive appointment; a Filipino friend of mine who graduated from US though that he can get a job there in a week or so but end up hunting job for more than 6 month before going back empty handed. While overseas degree may be a plus in many countries but not in Singapore as she have a highly educated workforce. Which the latest survey poll that at least 30% graduated from overseas universities in US, UK and Aus. Most of them also have master...so it can be tough there.

I've owned and operated companies in both HK and SG for years. Both are easy places to set them up etc.. Singapore is very attractive because PR is quite easy to get, even for wage earners who've lived there awhile. Banking is easier and more efficient in HK. Both places are relatively expensive places to live, with HK more expensive.

Not sure what the point of this is. Thailand has never been and never will be similar to these places in the ease of setting up and doing business if that's the point.

The point, I think, is that Thailand needs to change its business rules if it ever wants to come close to the quality of life one finds in Singapore and Hong Kong (but, yes, both places are way too expensive for me). I am about to start a business......but I am not going to do it in Thailand because of the crazy business rules. There are thousands of other entrepreneurs in the same boat. Our money is going to other places.

As an aside, it used to be extremely easy to set up a business in the USA and you did not even have to be present to do it........check out all of the Nevada Incorporation sites and the Delaware Incorporation sites. I do not know if it is still that easy.

As an aside, it used to be extremely easy to set up a business in the USA and you did not even have to be present to do it........check out all of the Nevada Incorporation sites and the Delaware Incorporation sites. I do not know if it is still that easy.

incorporating a company in the U.S. is still a piece of cake JR. completely different is "starting a business".

For job seekers, well you have to be prepared to change your mindset, Singaporean generally focus very closely on dateline which is quite a big difference from the way we work here. In addition, you will have to fight hard to seek employment, especially in executive appointment; a Filipino friend of mine who graduated from US though that he can get a job there in a week or so but end up hunting job for more than 6 month before going back empty handed. While overseas degree may be a plus in many countries but not in Singapore as she have a highly educated workforce. Which the latest survey poll that at least 30% graduated from overseas universities in US, UK and Aus. Most of them also have master...so it can be tough there.

Can be tough to break into the market for sure, because even for expat' aimed jobs, there are plenty of quality candidates already in Sing' ... however, I do think that once you're "on the roundabout" it becomes much easier to stay on it ...

CC (in Singapore :o )

incorporating a company in the U.S. is still a piece of cake JR. completely different is "starting a business".

Incorporating or starting a business anywhere is still a piece of cake compared to actually making that businesss succeed.

Thailand needs farang entrepreneurs like Eskimos need ice. The problem is that too many farang come here thinking Thailand should be like Singapore instead of just moving to Singapore. Seems like an easy solution.

Errrm - no thank you - I quite like my life down here thank you with regular sojourns oop north to Thailand for bevvy sessions and a natter.

:o