Hi my name is Sarah and I am a British Citizen. Could you please clarify the following..........

I am intending to come to Thailand in January for 2-3 months, is it possible to just get a visa on arrival and do a visa run to extend it for a further 30days? or will I need to get a tourist visa in which case could you clarify the following...my understanding of the tourist visa is that it is valid for 3months from the date of application, but my problem is that I am travelling to the usa and then australia for 4months before coming to Thailand. Do I have to apply in the UK or could I apply at the thai embassy in Australia just before coming to Thailand?

My preference would be to just get a visa on arrival and do the visa runs, but from reading previous discussions is this safe and legal?

Any advice would be grately received, thanks!

Hi Sarah,

A tourist visa is valid for presentation at the border entry point for 3 months and the Thai immigration officer will then stamp your passport to allow you to stay for 60 days. In other words if I obtained a visa today it would be valid for presentation until 22 October. I could arrive in Thailand on 22/10 and be given permission to stay for 60 days. If you are staying for 3 months then once you are in Thailand apply for a 30 day extention at the local immigration offfice for 1900 Baht. That way you don't need to undertake the visa runs.

Scouse.

There is a myriad of non-Thais who obtain their visas from Thai embassies/consulates in countries of which they are not a national. Indeed, I got mine from the consulate in Penang. On the basis of this I would suggest that you would be able to apply at the Thai embassy in Sydney. Perhaps check it out first. If you can't the worst that will happen is that you'll have to do a visa run every 30 days.

Scouse.

There are a number of Royal Thai Consulates in Australia that you can obtain a tourist visa from without a problem. You need to have a visa as you do not meet requirements for aircraft to carry you to Thailand without a visa if you do not have outbound ticket within 30 days of arrival.

Just plan to get visa in Oz. The tourist visa will allow 60 day stay and can be extended 30 days if you need more time without leaving country.

Thanks for your info Scouse, but my problem is that I depart the uk on 22 sept and wont arrive at thailand until about 10 jan.

Do you know if its possible to apply in australia?

Any Thai Consulate in Australia will issue you with a visa. Available in Adelaide, Brisbane. Melbourne and Perth. The Embassy is in Canberra. You can download the application form and instructions at www.thaiconsulate.org.au

The best way to do it is the way I've been doing it for 10 years. Cross any border every 30 days. It's really easy. No consulates, no embassies, just friendly border guys who don't give a rats hind qtrs how I dress or how rude I am. Last time I said to the guy, "hey kwai, can you speed it up a little". he thought that was hilarious

The best way to do it is the way I've been doing it for 10 years. Cross any border every 30 days. It's really easy. No consulates, no embassies, just friendly border guys who don't give a rats hind qtrs how I dress or how rude I am. Last time I said to the guy, "hey kwai, can you speed it up a little". he thought that was hilarious

You for real ?

The guy wants sound advice not toss pot info crap from you :o

You for real ?

Hey guy, hold on a second here. This guy you refer to is named Sarah

Sarah......ignore visarunners post just apply in Oz as the other posters have suggested. Have a nice trip. :o

You for real ?

Hey guy, hold on a second here. This guy you refer to is named Sarah

Makes no differance ,

At the end of the day anybody that requests visa info should be given sound advice and you are far from an expert in this field.

(apoligies Sarah for qouteing guy)

Have to step in here for in minute.Visa runner in my opinion has exactly the right idea.If its possible to cross a border every 30 days then simply do it.Dont worry yourself about applying for complex visas that may let you stay an extra 60 days before having to cross a border anyways.

Visa runner, thanks for the chuckle as well!

Visa runner in my opinion has exactly the right idea.If its possible to cross a border every 30 days then simply do it.Dont worry yourself about applying for complex visas that may let you stay an extra 60 days before having to cross a border anyways.

Whats so complex about a visa?.............although from a couple of posts above i can understand how they could be :o . Assuming Sarah isnt going to be holidaying on the border, whats the appeal of having to do a visa run? Sat on a bus all day and the hassles of the border post aint my idea of fun. One more thing she wont have to do a visa run after 60 days if she has a single entry tourist visa as she can get a further 30 day extension at any immigration office for 1900 baht. It baffles me why people like making life difficult for themselves.

A live turkey in sight.