Sick Cow

RamdomChances

I've posted this here and not on the Farming in Issan thread, in the hope more people will see it.

On of my cows went down last night with "milk fever" (basicaly a calcium difficency comman in cows that have just calfed, they get so weak they cant stand)

Unfortunatly while struggling to get up, she damaged her front leg ( I think the nerve is trapped or damaged) and is not able to straighten it and it can't bear any weight.

Are there any drugs, therapy, treatment that can help.

Its over the milk fever, 2 doses of calcium on a slow drip, I've injected anti inflametry drugs, and anti biotics, cos she half tore off one teat while struggling to get up.

If any one has any ideas advice I'd be gratful.

Cheers RC

Cheers Scampy.

Oh forgot to say we are trying massage, with some deep heat oil and trying to work the leg manualy, sort of cow physio!!

Its been piss!ng down here for 2 days and spent most of last night wading through mud and holding a drip.

Just got clean for the first time in 2 days, thank god for hot showers!!!

Random, u know the rules, when the animal goes down and it cost more to get her up and productive, its time for her to meet her maker; depends on how much money u want to put in... prbably steroids and benamine (painkiller, i think its called benamine we used it on one of my goats )

Banamine (FluMeglumine) Prescription Anti-inflammatory that is good for bringing down high fever, stopping severe diarrhea in very young kids, calming the gut in digestive illnesses, and relieving pain and soreness associated with animal bites and other injuries. Cannot be used but once every 36 hours, because it builds up in vital organs and will cause permanent damage to the animal, including but not limited to ulcerations in the digestive system of the goats. Dosage is 1 cc per 100 lbs IM. Refrigerate. this worked for my very ill buck as far as pain, but in the end, the infection in his testes spread and he became septic so he got the shot in the jugular :o

worked for us with goat but dont know about bovines. couldnt get ahold of the cow people here (on shift or sleeping, sorry but they would probably say call a vet or put her down)

try some cow forums in the states that are for homesteaders... they usually can help more than a large ranch type cause theyre usually nicer...

good luck also my vet usually tells me to give more roughage and no concentrate food when incapacitated he says the body deals with it better and ive found that for goats, gazelles and deer, this is indeed the case. just remember to reintroduce her to concentrate food (grain or whatever) slowly.

Cheers Bina

It was a male calf, sold it already so no prob with the colustrum.

I've got it on an anti inflamatry, called Butrasil and anti-biotics to help ward off the Mastites she will surley get from the wound to the teat.

She can actually walk with difficulty and does'nt seem in much pain. It is just she cant straighten her front leg so cant put any weight on it, so I have'nt given up hope yet. If she could'nt get up I'd probably of called it a day by now. It look like "Radial Nerve Paralisis" which they can get over but I have'nt been able to find anything out about any treatment to aid recovery.

As she is also getting over the milk fever, we still give concentrate to keep the calcium levels up along with lots of fresh grass. Just after birth is a very difficult time for a milking cow as they produce so much milk and usually lose weight for the first 3 months.

I'll give it a bit of time and see how it goes, Its no good talking to the vet here, the one that first came out to treat the milk fever said she was just constipated!! I only called him out cos I still cant put a drip in!

Anyway thanks RC