Are You 'new' Chiang Mai Or 'old' Chiang Mai?

Sanpatong

Are you a traditional or nouvelle Chiang Mai expat?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Obviously I won't catch everyone in two choices, but if you were forced to click one, what would it be? For the people who dispite this voting advice still get their diapers in a knot I've included option three, though.

Note that you should see 'old and new' Chiang Mai the way Blinkers intended, i.e. in a Rumsfeldian way, not so much a historical 'number of years' kind of way. So in other words it IS possible to have been here since the 1980's but to have matured into golf and wifi-enabled cafe's serving latte, and generally not have much of a life beyond Thaivisa.com :o

Edited by Sanpatong

I could find Spotlight blindfolded and with a gag on to stop me from asking anyone directions! :D

As I recall George, I think you are the one who told me about the 'housewives' in a soi off of Nimenheimen about 15 years ago. :o

I could find Spotlight blindfolded and with a gag on to stop me from asking anyone directions! :D

As I recall George, I think you are the one who told me about the 'housewives' in a soi off of Nimenheimen about 15 years ago. :o

I think George and old Scottish Alistair (RIP) had/have residency status there. They held a wake for Alistair there.

Fond memories.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I remember Black Cat and went to Bryan's open house when he bought the place. Have VIP Card #2 from Somchai at John's Place with a notation to give me my first beer free. Closed out Cats Eye on many occasions coming out seeing day light. As for Spotlight, welll....yeah - blind folded, no problem. :D

Not sure if it puts me in the oldies or not. :o

Closed out Cats Eye on many occasions coming out seeing day light.

Not sure if it puts me in the oldies or not. :D

Jeeze what a mighty place that was, we must have shared the same gutter on the odd occasion!! :o Then used to head straight to the Cascade for a morning tango :D

As I recall George, I think you are the one who told me about the 'housewives' in a soi off of Nimenheimen about 15 years ago. :D

I would guess that you are not mistaken. :o

I think the poll is well short of BB's definition of 'Old CM'. He only includes people who laid bricks in the original city walls (and then went to a long deceased Cathouse)

And that resurrected cathouse would be.......drum roll......ermmm a bar, I shall not mention its name on this forum....... :o

McG

I think the poll is well short of BB's definition of 'Old CM'. He only includes people who laid bricks in the original city walls (and then went to a long deceased Cathouse)

And that resurrected cathouse would be.......drum roll......ermmm a bar, I shall not mention its name on this forum....... :o

McG

Used to have red lights out the front.. :D

McG

Such tact

And that resurrected cathouse would be.......drum roll......ermmm a bar, I shall not mention its name on this forum....... :D

McG

Such tact

Must be my inherited East Anglia rural reserve..... :o

BTW, I voted option 1, though I have only been here 69 days..... :D

And the Housewive's Club is not on Nimblehymen, as the OP alluded. It is up Soi 13, right at...........(pregnant pause) :D

PS I first visited Chiang Mai in 1975, and a fine place it was then, as well....

McG

I voted 1.

What's the background to Spotlight? How does a farang manage to keep open a place like that?

I remember the german owner of the bunny club having a car 'accident' a few years ago and seeing the old bill in there the next evening going through the accounts - hostile takeover Thai style.

First time I wnt in there it only had the one bar and a dirt floor and next door was a restaurant that sold croc/monkey and probably rat and chips....but no ketchup....funny old place...

And the Housewive's Club is not on Nimblehymen, as the OP alluded. It is up Soi 13, right at...........(pregnant pause) :D

PS I first visited Chiang Mai in 1975, and a fine place it was then, as well....

The housewives were at it in 1975 already? :D

(And I wonder if they were true housewives back then.) Any historians among us?

Edited by Sanpatong

The housewives were at it in 1975 already? :D

(And I wonder if they were true housewives back then.) Any historians among us?

Some that are there now were there then as were their mothers and grandmothers.

And I'm not gonna be nice to you yet Some-poo-tong. sFun_DeadHorse.gif