Nightlife In Chiang Mai

girlx

i looked for threads on nightlife on here but they all seem to be about 3 years old... so what are your (updated) favorites in chiang mai? particularly interested in places that are non-threatening to a solo female. thanks!

um..am i the only one thinking that i dont think its too wise to go out 'solo' to a club as a woman? I just about go anywhere really, but i dont think its too good an idea to go into a pub/club on your own....

um..am i the only one thinking that i dont think its too wise to go out 'solo' to a club as a woman? I just about go anywhere really, but i dont think its too good an idea to go into a pub/club on your own....

well that's why i am asking for non-threatening places. i usually manage to find some but after last night when a thai man followed me down a dark street masturbating and moaning at me (on rajthivi rd.), i am going to try go go based on recommendations rather than feel it out myself again. the area by the salsa kitchen was probably a good place to hang out, for example, but i wouldn't go there alone. & it's either sit in my hotel room and mope or ask you guys! :o

the area by the salsa kitchen was probably a good place to hang out, for example, but i wouldn't go there alone.

I'll join.

Also it's near the Irish Pub, which has its nights. (esp when there's live music or quiz nights).

Just not tonight as Friday Night is Loi Kroh Night. But I'm totally committed to sacrifice any other night and go seek out girlie traveller places. :o

I'll promise not to talk about football, politics and generally not be an obnoxious Western expat who thinks he knows everything. Now that you're in Chiang Mai I feel a strange sense of responsibility to make sure you find your way around, enjoy yourself and stay alive and all.

Edited by Sanpatong

i looked for threads on nightlife on here but they all seem to be about 3 years old... so what are your (updated) favorites in chiang mai? particularly interested in places that are non-threatening to a solo female. thanks!

Joe Cummings' - of Lonely Planet fame - band plays often in "Guitar Man" near the night bazaar. It looks like a safe place and they are reputed to be quite good.

He is a real gentleman, so, if anyone bothers you, he will probably jump off the stage and bonk them with his guitar. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Joe Cummings' - of Lonely Planet fame - band plays often in "Guitar Man" near the night bazaar. It looks like a safe place and they are reputed to be quite good.

He is a real gentleman, so, if anyone bothers you, he will probably jump off the stage and bonk them with his guitar. :D

The Tonic Rays Rock. Check out some of their studio recordings here. http://www.myspace.com/tonicrays

They have a CD coming out soon as well. :D:o

I can't give a definate answer on my favourite as I tend to roam about to whatevers good for me at the time.

I can tell you the worse place for partying in Chiang Mai and that's that rotten excuse for a nightclub called 'Spicy.'

I've been there (twice!), regretted it both times. The second time it was to ensure I'd not made a hasty error in writing the place off, I hadn't!

A place where you'll be onset by lousy women, jaded farang and boom-boom moron music.

Unless you enjoy the piss-head scene in the UK and rough-looking women then avoid! :o

I've just re-read the OP's post, you're a woman, so definately don't go there!

What sort of night out do you want?

I've got quite fond of the Chillout Bar on Moonmuang Soi 9. It is just a wee tiny cocktail bar, with all the seating on the soi. The guy running the place is great, and he has pretty good english. I have met quite a few people there, and have felt very safe going there alone (possibly because it is about a minute's walk from where I stay!).

Guitarman is good also. I didn't go there alone, but I would have felt very safe doing so. The music was good and the folks running the place are great.

If you are back down to the bars by Salsa Kitchen, try Cafe del Sol. It is a bit quiter than the reggae bars, and is good for meeting ex pats and Thais alike.

also, as a fellow solo gal in CM (until the end of this month, anyway), feel free to PM me if you fancy some company!

Sexy and fit? You're welcome at club Awk. Bring your own wine please.

Sexy and fit? You're welcome at club Awk. Bring your own wine please.

Be right over, Awk. Hope you don't mind me including a few of my friends....

post-23786-1187357203_thumb.jpg

post-23786-1187357261_thumb.jpg

post-23786-1187357309_thumb.jpg

post-23786-1187357350_thumb.jpg

:o

McG

hehe silly kids... thanks for the tips... can enyone tell me where exactly guitarman is? i read good things about it on another thread too.

Guitarman's (Nick's) blog. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=160890281

It's right at the end of Loi Kroh Rd towards the Ping river. Second last venue on your left coming from the night bazaar.

post-31110-1187360511_thumb.jpg

Edited by Austhaied

yep i was harassed in penang in the same way.

you were followed down dark streets by moaning masturbating men in both cities?

the issue appears to not be the venue but the consistent choosing of late night routes down dark sois.

if it were me. I'd carry a camera, this could get international 'utube video' "exposure".

:o

the issue appears to not be the venue but the consistent choosing of late night routes down dark sois.

nope, in penang it was an indian man on a motorbike, in broad daylight. the first 3 times i went there for a visa run, he found me every time, and would follow me everywhere, touching himself and hissing obscenities. i finally yelled at him in front of a group of people at a coffee shop and he left me alone after that.

in chaing mai, it was about 8pm, on rajthivi road. it was raining and the guy was on his motorbike in a yellow slicker. he yelled hello at me and i ignored him. i was walking back to my hotel after eating. he raced up ahead of me and was hanging out in the next dark soi i passed, masturbating and maoning at me. i ignored him again (not easy), he raced up to the next soi... repeat... until i finally yelled at him, which didn't stop him but luckily i reached my hotel before anything else happened.

well that's why i am asking for non-threatening places. i usually manage to find some but after last night when a thai man followed me down a dark street masturbating and moaning at me (on rajthivi rd.), i am going to try go go based on recommendations rather than feel it out myself again. the area by the salsa kitchen was probably a good place to hang out, for example, but i wouldn't go there alone. & it's either sit in my hotel room and mope or ask you guys! :o

Eck ... that's grotty

nope, in penang it was an indian man on a motorbike, in broad daylight. the first 3 times i went there for a visa run, he found me every time, and would follow me everywhere, touching himself and hissing obscenities. i finally yelled at him in front of a group of people at a coffee shop and he left me alone after that.

in chaing mai, it was about 8pm, on rajthivi road. it was raining and the guy was on his motorbike in a yellow slicker. he yelled hello at me and i ignored him. i was walking back to my hotel after eating. he raced up ahead of me and was hanging out in the next dark soi i passed, masturbating and maoning at me. i ignored him again (not easy), he raced up to the next soi... repeat... until i finally yelled at him, which didn't stop him but luckily i reached my hotel before anything else happened.

That's whack.

It sucks being a guy with so many dodgy women, and dodgy GUYS that are always hitting on ya, but I guess at least I don't feel unsafe.

girlx, I should have such problems....... :D However, a friend of mine (when she was younger and very fit, even top-heavy) was on the commuter train in Japan when a very drunk Japanese man flashed her while she was sitting with some older Japanese women. She just laughed, pointed, and shouted in Japanese, "It's so small!"

Next time it happens in Chiang Mai, call the guy "Lek." If that's not appropriate, call me. :o

I do suppose its how you handle the situation. Most of us get behaviour like this from time to time. Tbh I was also surprised by how forward men are in Penang in the daytime (so much so I arranged instead for a guide and stayed in my hotel after dark). But, as PB says, its good to think out ways to retort to the men hassling you.

I do however think that when alone down dark allyways its best not to use the "Lek" suggestion or similar just incase they get angry and react. I think, given the situation, you handled it best by ignoring then shouting. I do strongly recommend staying in places that are occupied by people where possible. Ask one of the taxi drivers for their number even if you stay in places of any distance. Most will come pick you up. Try find someone to walk with you. Anything! As much as we all wish to be risk free and independent, the sad fact is, its not always possible. Calculated risks are the key.

I still think its a bad idea to go to a club alone, but thats just me. If you are living in CM now, it would be useful to make a club buddy.

Good luck with finding some good places and good friends. :o