Global Correction

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have never been on a submarine, but i have always wanted to say DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

Malaysia halts trading

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/10/news/inter...sion=2008031007

Bingo...STOP posting stupid panic posts. :o

The Malaysia stop and drop of close to -10% is due to the unexpected enormous shift in the elections and will fade away within days.

You have to be fair & correct Bingo not just post sensational headlines.

LaoPo

lot of red in asia, and it will get worse (March 10 quotes), so strap in.............inflation rampant, too much debt will soon bring it all down (with bounces along the way)

MAJOR WORLD INDICES

SymbolNameLast TradeChange

^AORDAll Ordinaries5,275.70 1:11AM ETdown_r.gif93.20 (1.74%)

^SSECShanghai Composite4,146.30 3:00AM ETdown_r.gif154.22 (3.59%)

^HSIHang Seng22,705.05 5:59AM ETup_g.gif203.72 (0.91%)

^BSESNBSE 3015,923.72 6:59AM ETdown_r.gif51.80 (0.32%)

^JKSEJakarta Composite2,527.87 6:30AM ETdown_r.gif128.59 (4.84%)

^KLSEKLSE Composite1,173.22 5:02AM ETdown_r.gif123.11 (9.50%)

^N225Nikkei 22512,532.13 3:00AM ETdown_r.gif250.67 (1.96%)

^NZ50NZSE 503,547.75 12:31AM ETdown_r.gif10.51 (0.30%)

^STIStraits Times2,836.59 5:10AM ETdown_r.gif29.69 (1.04%)

^KS11Seoul Composite1,625.17 5:03AM ETdown_r.gif38.80 (2.33%)

^TWIITaiwan Weighted8,299.37 1:46AM ETdown_r.gif232.01 (2.72%)

Edited by bingobongo

I think the US dollar is going share the fate of the 1st US currency to be backed by fresh air - The Continental.

The signs are all there for those that wish to see them. Bush might say that there is no reccesion and that everything is ok, but it doesn't matter how much make up you put on a pig, it is still a pig.

In the not too near future I fear massive economic turmoil for the US with hyper inflation. This will be extremely painful and in the wake of the fall out, the North American Union and its currency, the Amero, will be pushed as a way to bring stability and prosperity. You heard it hear 1st.

I wonder if the saying will be changed to "Ain't worth a Dollar'.

I think the US dollar is going share the fate of the 1st US currency to be backed by fresh air - The Continental.

The signs are all there for those that wish to see them. Bush might say that there is no reccesion and that everything is ok, but it doesn't matter how much make up you put on a pig, it is still a pig.

In the not too near future I fear massive economic turmoil for the US with hyper inflation. This will be extremely painful and in the wake of the fall out, the North American Union and its currency, the Amero, will be pushed as a way to bring stability and prosperity. You heard it hear 1st.

I wonder if the saying will be changed to "Ain't worth a Dollar'.

Interesting :o

post-13995-1205163853_thumb.jpg One third of a Dollar - Just 232 years ago

post-13995-1205163881_thumb.png The huge sum of Six Dollars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_dollar

LaoPo

lot of red in asia, and it will get worse (March 10 quotes), so strap in.............inflation rampant, too much debt will soon bring it all down (with bounces along the way)

MAJOR WORLD INDICES

SymbolNameLast TradeChange

^AORDAll Ordinaries5,275.70 1:11AM ETdown_r.gif93.20 (1.74%)

^SSECShanghai Composite4,146.30 3:00AM ETdown_r.gif154.22 (3.59%)

^HSIHang Seng22,705.05 5:59AM ETup_g.gif203.72 (0.91%)

^BSESNBSE 3015,923.72 6:59AM ETdown_r.gif51.80 (0.32%)

^JKSEJakarta Composite2,527.87 6:30AM ETdown_r.gif128.59 (4.84%)

^KLSEKLSE Composite1,173.22 5:02AM ETdown_r.gif123.11 (9.50%)

^N225Nikkei 22512,532.13 3:00AM ETdown_r.gif250.67 (1.96%)

^NZ50NZSE 503,547.75 12:31AM ETdown_r.gif10.51 (0.30%)

^STIStraits Times2,836.59 5:10AM ETdown_r.gif29.69 (1.04%)

^KS11Seoul Composite1,625.17 5:03AM ETdown_r.gif38.80 (2.33%)

^TWIITaiwan Weighted8,299.37 1:46AM ETdown_r.gif232.01 (2.72%)

Dear me that is allot of red :o

• 2 weeks later...

so did you sell the bounce?

anyone notice the 10yr yield?

the horror.....................this will continue to drag all bourses with it

Extent of the borrowing by financial institutions at the Fed Discount Window. Note the 4 spikes: Continental Illinois bailout (1960s), S&L Crisis (1980s), 9/11 (2001), Credit Crisis (today)

post-41241-1206536602_thumb.png

Yawn...six months later and yes it was ugly, but the Global Catastrophe of Doom still hasn't arrived, has it? The US *still* hasn't been declared in recession, and lets face it, its not as important as it used to be. If you can't cope with the stockmarket taking a hiding on occasion, you shouldn't be in it!

Yawn...six months later and yes it was ugly, but the Global Catastrophe of Doom still hasn't arrived, has it? The US *still* hasn't been declared in recession, and lets face it, its not as important as it used to be. If you can't cope with the stockmarket taking a hiding on occasion, you shouldn't be in it!

By GWB or Paulson ? :o ...Of course they can't..it's election year.

Maybe read Reuters and Bloomberg a bit ?

LaoPo

By GWB or Paulson ? :o ...Of course they can't..it's election year.

LaoPo

If you cant take losses you shouldnt be in ??

Isnt the very point of playing the market to beat the average ?? So surely noting when falls like those that HAVE happened and look to KEEP happening for the near term, you should switch to investments that still rise in those times ??

By GWB or Paulson ? :D ...Of course they can't..it's election year.

LaoPo

If you cant take losses you shouldnt be in ??

What an answer... :D I'm talking economy and markets; who said I'm in...?

But, I asked you a question which you counter with question; hardly a discussion.

Have a nice day :o

LaoPo

Was replying to CD.. I was being sarcastic ??

From my perspective I dont understand why anyone would be in markets and then say you should just sit through downturns ?? Isnt the point of playing the market to get a good return ?? So why should you just accept losses when they are signposted so clearly prior to thier eventuality ??

I am in.. Currently in anti dollar, anti housing, anti lenders.

the mighty dragon is tiring and inflation is rampant......its coming.....once the olympics are over, short the shanghai index.....and no matter what central bankers do, the inevitable will occur

where will all those out of work chinese go for jobs? something wicked this way comes

China's Trade Surplus Plunges 63 Percent

:o February's monthly trade gap with the United States, China's No. 2 trading partner, shrank 23 percent to $9.4 billion compared with the same month in 2007, the customs agency said. :D

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/chin...310083209990049

Bingo, you just post what you want to post. Don't take the article out of context.

"...analysts said it appeared to be a onetime drop and exports should rebound.

The 63 percent drop in the trade gap from a year ago was due partly to a global slowdown but also to storms that hampered shipping and forced some factories to close, economists said. They said exports also looked unusually small because they were compared with a strong month last February.

"We think the sharp slowdown in China's export growth in February is temporary," Lehman Brothers economist Mingchun Sun said in a report to clients."

Apart from that (the worst weather circumstances in 50 years): In February it was Chinese New Year and nearly 100% of the economy was closed for 10 to 14 days...COMPLETELY.

edit:

In 2007 CNY started on Feb 18th. Export figures are therefore much larger opposite to CNY in 2008 which started on the 7th.

Ever been in China Bingo ? :D

LaoPo

Is that really lao po admonishing someone for taking an article out of context :D talk about calling the kettle black!

i have never been on a submarine, but i have always wanted to say DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

Malaysia halts trading

The Malaysia stop and drop of close to -10% is due to the unexpected enormous shift in the elections and will fade away within days.

LaoPo

This one is even better than the previous post. Lao telling Bingo to stop the "stupid panic posts" , dam lao do you think that you're the only one entitled to post stupid panic posts? :D Wait it gets even better yet, "you have to be FAIR and CORRECT not just post sensational headlines" . Lets see now the old saying that those who live in glass houses should not throw stones seems really appropriate here :D

Was replying to CD.. I was being sarcastic ??

From my perspective I dont understand why anyone would be in markets and then say you should just sit through downturns ?? Isnt the point of playing the market to get a good return ?? So why should you just accept losses when they are signposted so clearly prior to thier eventuality ??

I am in.. Currently in anti dollar, anti housing, anti lenders.

the reason could be... obfuscation :o

Malaysia halts trading

LaoPo

This one is even better than the previous post. Lao telling Bingo to stop the "stupid panic posts" , dam lao do you think that you're the only one entitled to post stupid panic posts? :D Wait it gets even better yet, "you have to be FAIR and CORRECT not just post sensational headlines" . Lets see now the old saying that those who live in glass houses should not throw stones seems really appropriate here :D

This topic is called "Global Correction" Vic and Bingo's post was one about halting trading in Malaysia, due to a sharp decline on he stock market BECAUSE of the unexpected shift in the Malay election results (but a good one for human right issues) of 10% down. It had nothing to do with a Global Correction and therefore it was sensational and not Global connected.

And, as for sensational headlines Vic, I don't write them, your fellow countrymen journalists from Bloomberg, Reuters and the like make them up.

Not me, capice ?

But, to satisfy your needs, I will post more POSITIVE news, once it comes back again, OK ?

If I fail doing that maybe it's a good idea that YOU post more positive news instead of continuing your Blah-Blah comments ?

Now go back to the golf course. :D

LaoPo

Warning

Maybe some will bash upon me but I'm used to that by now. Sorry Vic if I have no further good news today, maybe tomorrow, ok ? :D

Allow me to explain my view.

In the past, world markets reacted immediately after a sharp drop or correction on the Shanghai market. Now, since half a year or so the world stock markets are ignoring what's happening in Shanghai (stock market that is, of course) and that's strange since Shanghai dropped already -40% since 5 months ago.

It has now reached a critical point and ended again down to 3411 points or another -5.42% today, March 27th, 2008; after a peak of 6124 on Oct 16th, 2007

So what ?

Well, it has almost reached a critical SUPPORT point which lies between 3358 - 3400 (ended today at 3411...after hitting a low of 3407)

IF the 3400 will be broken tomorrow, Friday 28th, Shanghai could end up in a free-fall and it will have serious -future- consequences for the rest of the world's stock markets as it will be noticed this time after ignoring the -40% drop for so long.

But it could take more time than tomorrow, we'll see, but watch the Shanghai market tomorrow morning early, BKK time.

post-13995-1206630726_thumb.png Shanghai Composite chart

Watch it, it's your money if invested in stocks, but at the same time it will create lots of opportunities for the future :o

LaoPo

It has been my observation that US equity markets perform best when conditions favor that small group of fiduciary criminals that inhabit Wall Street. Not too much oversight, steady money flow through mandated private retirement schemes, sometimes a good story all benefit the financials. Recessions, inflation, unemployment don't matter a whit, so long as government policy smiles on these financial flim flam artists. If they're about to be in for a hard time, they're going to make sure they take everyone with them. In that way their problem becomes your problem. Many people think this latest proposal is a welcome measure, but just ask Bear Stearns if working with the Fed was to their liking.

AP

Overhaul of Financial Regulations Sought

Monday March 31, 5:50 am ET

By Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson Proposes Sweeping Overhaul of Financial Regulations

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration is proposing the biggest overhaul of financial regulation since the Great Depression. The sweeping plan is already drawing intense criticism -- a debate unlikely to be settled until a new president takes office.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080331/fed_overhaul.html

It has been my observation that US equity markets perform best when conditions favor that small group of fiduciary criminals that inhabit Wall Street. Not too much oversight, steady money flow through mandated private retirement schemes, sometimes a good story all benefit the financials. Recessions, inflation, unemployment don't matter a whit, so long as government policy smiles on these financial flim flam artists. If they're about to be in for a hard time, they're going to make sure they take everyone with them. In that way their problem becomes your problem. Many people think this latest proposal is a welcome measure, but just ask Bear Stearns if working with the Fed was to their liking.

AP

Overhaul of Financial Regulations Sought

Monday March 31, 5:50 am ET

By Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson Proposes Sweeping Overhaul of Financial Regulations

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration is proposing the biggest overhaul of financial regulation since the Great Depression. The sweeping plan is already drawing intense criticism -- a debate unlikely to be settled until a new president takes office.

Here also:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=news

As to your first part:

I don't know if there is such a thing as an organized or semi-organized 'plot' between the high-so on Wall St/government/financials and others. Some very influential financial people have been sent to jail lately. Think of Enron -Bernard Ebbers- and that Sir Conrad Black.

But, it is like anywhere else in the world: the small investors are last in line and have little knowledge of what's going on in the dealers' or FED's rooms....and their counterparts in London, Frankfurt, Zurich and the like.

We will never know, until another scandal hit the front pages and some other chaps are sent to prison.

There have been rumors since many years that the gold prices are manipulated as well......who knows ?

And to the latter part of your message:

I read also that the Democrats are complaining the proposed steps aren't enough, but for heavens sake, the financial system HAS TO BE OVERHAULED, one way or another. A first step is good; many to follow.

It's about time.

LaoPo

One quote : "The Paulson plan, which the administration has been working on for a year, calls for the eventual creation of three regulatory agencies."

And another one : "The 200-page document".

One year ago, only a few blogers were speaking about the coming financial crisis... All the "experts" were in denial...

Like with 9/11, when the gvt took out of his pocket new security laws... now, in full crisis, like the magic rabbit, they have ready a plan for the "biggest overhaul of financial regulation".

Talk about opportunity ! :o

And talk about... CONTROL. More control. Always. Their only motto.

I would like to add, as an excuse for Governments, that it is extremely difficult for financial experts, working for governments, to follow up on a daily basis about what new financial instruments have been invented again, month after month, year after year, sometimes on a weekly basis by the big financial Corps.

These instruments -financial products- are so complicated that almost no one understands them UNTIL the system fails. By that time, the Prosecutors hire experts to dive into the mess and find out what was going on....

It's too late by then.

The ENRON debacle is one of the most dramatic examples....and...EVERYBODY believed the big shots of ENRON, the US Government included !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enron_scandal

LaoPo

One quote : "The Paulson plan, which the administration has been working on for a year, calls for the eventual creation of three regulatory agencies."

And another one : "The 200-page document".

One year ago, only a few blogers were speaking about the coming financial crisis... All the "experts" were in denial...

Like with 9/11, when the gvt took out of his pocket new security laws... now, in full crisis, like the magic rabbit, they have ready a plan for the "biggest overhaul of financial regulation".

Talk about opportunity ! :o

And talk about... CONTROL. More control. Always. Their only motto.

I was just reading about this chap: Paul Krugman...very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Krugman#Biography

And he wrote, today, March 31, 2008:

"You now understand the principle behind the Bush administration’s new proposal for financial reform, which will be formally announced today: it’s all about creating the appearance of responding to the current crisis, without actually doing anything substantive.

The financial events of the last seven months, and especially the past few weeks, have convinced all but a few diehards that the U.S. financial system needs major reform. Otherwise, we’ll lurch from crisis to crisis — and the crises will get bigger and bigger.

The rescue of Bear Stearns, in particular, was a paradigm-changing event."

From a MUST-READ article in The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/31/opinion/...amp;oref=slogin

LaoPo