How To Increase Your Adsl Download Speed By 500%!

robsamui

After swearing and cussing at TOT and their ADSL offering over the 6 weeks that I've had it, I accidentally discovered in one day how to make it work like it's supposed to (downtime excluded!)

I have the gold 1000/512 ADSL package and I was previously downloading movies at around 15-20 KBps - takins more than a day to get a movie.

I am currently downloading one at a steady 100 KBps - that's more than half a mb a minute.

First, I upgraded my laptop's RAM from 512 to 1mb - and allocated 256mb of this in the BIOS to the graphics area.

Then, I downloaded the latest graphics card drivers for my 2-year-old laptop.

I had already installed TCPOptimizer and riased my crawl about 50% to 24 or 25 KBps.

But, suddenly, now I have I steady, flatline download speed of what calculates to be 100 KBps. see the attached pic!

AMAZING!

Rob

ps - can anyone explain what the "network utilization" percentage means?

post-4665-1187375372_thumb.jpg

Edited by robsamui

I think you just got lucky that something changed at TOT's side.

It's technically impossible that more memory and/or different memory allocation can improve download speeds! Your computer is able to communicate at 100 mbit/sec with your modem anyway, which is 100 times faster then your internet connection...

Programs like TCP optimizer might be able to increase your speed though, but mostly not by a whole lot...

Your maths are not entirely correct either, when downloading at 100 kBps your pulling 6 mb per minute not half a mb!

The network utilization just gives you how many % of the available capacity of your LAN connection is used (=the connection between your PC and your ADSL modem/router).

You have a 100 mbit/sec LAN port, so if your ADSL modem is feeding it with 1 mbit, your LAN is running at 1%. (remember I wrote above that the communication between modem and PC is 100 times faster then your internet?)

At the screenshot it indicates 0.91%, which would calculate to 920 kbps or 115 kBps. Which is about the maximum you'll get on a 1mbit connection due to the inherent overhead on ADSL lines...