Immgration Closed For Holiday - Can I Get Visa Extension After Visa Expires?

My tourist visa expires tomorrow, on Sunday the 19th of August. Knowing they would be closed tomorrow, I went to the Immigration Department on Suan Phlu today (Saturday the 18th). Surprise! They were closed for three days (18, 19, 20) for the elections!

So, can I go in on Tuesday the 21st and get my visa extension then?

Will they hit me up for an overstay fee?

Will they even give me a visa extension if I am there 2 days after my visa expires?

I could make a run to the Cambodian border tomorrow (Sunday the 19th, the day my visa expires), but there is no way I can get an onward ticket today to show at the border tomorrow--so I might be screwed there as well.

Has anybody been in the pickle before? What to do?

Most people try to avoid the pickle by doing it early - there is no early penalty - the extension starts at the end of your current permitted to stay stamp on a tourist visa.

But you should be OK. Just go there Tuesday morning and you should not have a problem getting the 30 day extension of stay.

I don't know about the visa but you could get an onward ticket today; just buy it online and print out the electronic ticket. I can't imagine they need a paper ticket, I haven't seen one of those things, or known anyone who has in years...

But I would keep an eye on this forum to see if someone else who knows whether its even necessary for you to leave the country gives you a better answer than mine. I have heard that if you let your visa expire then you will have to leave the country and get another visa, you will not be able to extend it but I do not know if there is a grace period or not.

**Looks like lopburi answered you while I was typing

Edited by CWMcMurray

I did it before at Suan Plu in exactly the same circumstances, maybe 2 years ago. Just look 1/2 as bewildered/confused/pathetic as I did, and they'll be too busy chuckling to care.

I doubt that I need to tell you that I don't guarantee anything and wouldn't believe anybody who did! :o

Edited by calibanjr.

Most people try to avoid the pickle by doing it early - there is no early penalty - the extension starts at the end of your current permitted to stay stamp on a tourist visa.

But you should be OK. Just go there Tuesday morning and you should not have a problem getting the 30 day extension of stay.

Well, I was trying to avoid the pickle--or any fruit or vegetable preserved in vinegar, for that matter, by going one day early.

I have been to immigration on Saturday many times before (great for visa extensions--no lines!) and had no idea Immigration would be closed this Saturday!

Well, I was trying to avoid the pickle--or any fruit or vegetable preserved in vinegar, for that matter, by going one day early.

I have been to immigration on Saturday many times before (great for visa extensions--no lines!) and had no idea Immigration would be closed this Saturday!

Tell them exactly that Tuesday with a smile !

Once I had mistaken the day and turned up one day later. The officer in charge said no problem and backdated the extension. No overstay charge.

BUT this, as somebody said, has no guarantee. You might get an officer who has a problem with her husband (most of the officers are women in that section) and

refuses to cooperate to provide you with an extension.

If you really want to be safe:

- Get the 7:00 am trip with Jack Golf to Ban Laem (not Poi Pet!) on Sunday (there is no trip on Monday)

- Get a 200 baht bus ticket to Angkor Wat to use as an confirmation.

Again, this is only valid for Ban Laem, not for Poi Pet. And it's only 3 hours to 7:00 am on Sunday ....

Just take the risk. If it doesn't work out on Tuesday, go to Ban Laem on Thursday and pay 3 days overstay.

My Visa once expired on a Sunday. I went the Friday before and asked them what I should do and they said "Just come early Monday morning, it will not be a problem". And it wasn't a problem. It's not your problem really if they are closed.

Edited by roddy

My Visa once expired on a Sunday. I went the Friday before and asked them what I should do and they said "Just come early Monday morning, it will not be a problem". And it wasn't a problem. It's not your problem really if they are closed.

It's not your problem really if they are closed.

It is actually. You are responsible for the stamps in your passport and have to inform yourself on days they are closed and make alternative arrangements for them.

When you go to the Consulate in Penang you can't blame them for not getting your visa on time because you didn't know they were closed.

Yes, I had that happen and I had no problem. I an not sure whether they use fixed rules or guidlines, but my immigration office at Kanchanaburi told me I would be OK to renew 5 working days either side of the expiry date. I've been given stamps with Sunday on a few times and had no problems if I went in on Mon or Tue.