Converting Usb Headphone/mike To 3.5 Mm Phono Jacks

Trevor

I have a nice set of USB headphones but they give me no end of trouble cutting out during telephone VOIP calls. I have been unable to locate a USB to double jack plug adapter. Is it possible to remove the USB and attach separate 3.5 mm phono jack plugs for sound and voice? Presumably these plugs are still commonly available from the hi-fi world? Would such an exercise work, enabling me to plug into the phono sockets on my laptop to use VOIP? There is a push-button volume control (+ / -) within the cable. Thanks.

I have a cheap headset from Tesco 165Baht. Why not just get one like that the plugs and stuff a radio shack would cost as much. No need to mess up a good usb set. It may not be the usb giving you troble. I from time to time have problem with vioce up link braking, but not to often,

I have a nice set of USB headphones but they give me no end of trouble cutting out during telephone VOIP calls. I have been unable to locate a USB to double jack plug adapter. Is it possible to remove the USB and attach separate 3.5 mm phono jack plugs for sound and voice? Presumably these plugs are still commonly available from the hi-fi world? Would such an exercise work, enabling me to plug into the phono sockets on my laptop to use VOIP? There is a push-button volume control (+ / -) within the cable. Thanks.

I'm with RKASA. I have a 3.5mm plugs to USB adapter and the sound quality plugged into the USB port is flawless. If I plug directly into the audio jacks there's tons of static and noise. Doesn't matter which of 3 different headset I use, the quality is way better with USB. I have 2 cheap and one $120 headset.

I think if you're having problems with the USB connection, the headset has a problem. Or maybe there's a problem with the USB.

Edited by Carmine6

I'm with them ^^^ why stuff up a perfectly good USB headset?

Buy a cheapo headset with jacks and use that, I've definately seen little USB-jack dongles too but you'll have to search them out, they're not much bigger than a USB plug usually in blister packs along with the cheap hubs etc.

Buy a cheapo headset with jacks and use that, I've definately seen little USB-jack dongles too but you'll have to search them out, they're not much bigger than a USB plug usually in blister packs along with the cheap hubs etc.

Cool. Good to know. Can't find these anywhere in the US except packaged with headsets.

The cheapo headsets are tinny, I have to shout into the mike BUT they don't cut out on VOIP like the USB one does. There's nothing wrong with the headphones or USB sockets; it's a basic incompatibility between VOIP and the USB phones, which came without a driver (assumes windows will run it properly, and I have the latest upgrades). Just another example of Mr Gates' 4th-rate operating system's flaws.

The USB-jack dongles ... did you see them in Thailand? Pantip Plaza my best bet? Maplins, the electronics people in the UK, don't know of any such dongle, but I guess there's a chance the Asian one would work. Thanks.

The USB-jack dongles ... did you see them in Thailand? Pantip Plaza my best bet? Maplins, the electronics people in the UK, don't know of any such dongle, but I guess there's a chance the Asian one would work. Thanks.

Definately. I saw them in one of the multitude of assorted bits outlets on the top floor of Zeer Rangsit, bound to be available in Pantip (famous last words).

I have a 200 Baht, 1 ear headset, actually too sensitive on the mic. If you have to shout, make sure you check the 'microphone boost' box in recording controls advanced settings :oEDIT and that you have it plugged into the 'mic' input rather than the 'line' input.

Edited by Crossy

Definately. I saw them in one of the multitude of assorted bits outlets on the top floor of Zeer Rangsit, bound to be available in Pantip (famous last words).

I have a 200 Baht, 1 ear headset, actually too sensitive on the mic. If you have to shout, make sure you check the 'microphone boost' box in recording controls advanced settings :oEDIT and that you have it plugged into the 'mic' input rather than the 'line' input.

I went to Pantip yesterday in search of your recommended dongle (female USB into two 3.5 mm phono plugs). There is no such thing and, as one vendor kindly pointed out, it is a dubious proposition technically as the USB headphones cannot receive power via the phono jacks.

I will never use a USB headset for VOIP telephony again -- too many cutouts, whereas with phono it is constantly reliable. I will just have to buy the best-quality mike-headset I can find.

I went to Pantip yesterday in search of your recommended dongle (female USB into two 3.5 mm phono plugs). There is no such thing and, as one vendor kindly pointed out, it is a dubious proposition technically as the USB headphones cannot receive power via the phono jacks.

I will never use a USB headset for VOIP telephony again -- too many cutouts, whereas with phono it is constantly reliable. I will just have to buy the best-quality mike-headset I can find.

"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer". I've erred without the help of a computer :D

Had cause to visit the place where I'd 'seen' these things (probably at the same time you were in Pantip). OK, the 'USB headphone adaptor' has USB to 2 x 3.5mm jack sockets, not what you want, as it goes the wrong way. The things next to them have 3.5mm jack plugs (good start) but are intended to use with BlueTooth headsets, oops (it uses an AAA cell for power).

So, I screwed up and misled you :o in my enthusiasm to assist I provided duff info. I'll now just go off and shoot myself, don't worry, I'll be very humane :D

To be honest, for VOIP even the cheapest headsets work very well, so long as it's comfortable I wouldn't spend pots on one.

Edited by Crossy