Satellite Tv In Pai...

Niloc

I have two satellite receivers (dishes) at my home. I can also get the local cable TV but it only offers local Thai channels and BBC.

I would like to convert to cable (150 baht a month) for the family to watch their soapies and use the satellite dish(es) to get some TV I can watch and understand.

I have heard that the Intelsat 8 broadcasts Australian TV, ABC and SBS are all I want, the other channels are commercial and if I want soap ads I can watch Thai TV!!

So, is there anyone who can advise me how to set it up and what the conditions are for the satellite I want? Will it cost me anything and how do I go about it?

The nitty gritty :

The dishes are a seven foot and six foot, I have the box which they connect into

I do not want or need CNN, Fox, or any other US channels

I do not need BBC, I can get that on cable

The 'satellite man' in Pai seems to know what he is on about but has no English, I am sure he could point them if he knew where!

Any advice gratefully received and faithfully applied,

Colin

Colin, you can get a lot of information in English on satellite locations etc here

I am not sure if SBS is available. If you are a Rugby fan you may need a special box to take the free Australian Network card needed for the encrypted broadcasts.

Thanks Boksida.

I do not have the slightest interest in Rugby, that strange game they play in Sydney. I am from Melbourne and I think Australian Rules is as pathetic as that silly Pommie game, soccer.

What I want is News, documentaries, foreign movies with sub-titles I can read, science programs and all those great services the ABC provides.

I looked at the site you provided and although it sounds good they don't give any reception guarantees, I already have two dishes so maybe I could get away with a set-top box and a smart cookie to direct the dish?

I have found that I point at 166.0 E, so maybe I should try the local bloke?

Thanks,

Colin

Thanks Boksida.

I do not have the slightest interest in Rugby, that strange game they play in Sydney. I am from Melbourne and I think Australian Rules is as pathetic as that silly Pommie game, soccer.

What I want is News, documentaries, foreign movies with sub-titles I can read, science programs and all those great services the ABC provides.

I looked at the site you provided and although it sounds good they don't give any reception guarantees, I already have two dishes so maybe I could get away with a set-top box and a smart cookie to direct the dish?

I have found that I point at 166.0 E, so maybe I should try the local bloke?

Thanks,

Colin

The local bloke should be fine. Australia Network is free to air - you just need your dish pointed to it and a decoder. Reception is generally good in northern Thailand and as it is C-band, probably more reliable than UBC. You can get more information from Australian Network and they also actually answer emails. Their website also has programme listings.

http://australianetwork.com/tuning/