Are Farangs Who Marriages Failed Lucky?

bangkoksingapore

Are you an enlightened farang?   

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally - when i see some 50 something year old bloke in the department store with his juvenile wife (as i did yesterday when i returned my videos), and both can't even communicate the barest minimum without using their hands and feet, i feel very embarrassed.

You remind me of a man in Foodland a while back.

I went to do some shopping with a friend and his wife's 16-year old daughter.

While I was walking back towards them, a man passed by them (you perhaps) and more loudly than a whisper, muttered, "Pervert".

My friend heard it as did several other people.

It seems he gets this quite regularly from idiots like you and it doesn't seem to bother him, anymore. He's been taking her shopping for the past 12 years.

There are some rules about flaming here on this forum :o

And no, it is rather easy to see the difference between a wife and a daughter, especially when there is almost no shared communication (lack of it replaced by shouting and gesturing), a painfully embarrassed facial expression by the wife/girlfriend - an altogether embarrassing situation for all people in vicinity. And no - this was not in "patters" where this might be accepted behavior, but in a normal neighborhood in Bangkok.

Edited by ColPyat

For all of you who are so embarrassed by the actions of other farangs in Thailand, I just wonder. Are you similarly humiliated anywhere else in the world by other caucasians? How do you get through the day? Do you really believe any Thai will think any less or worse of you because of it. Why do you care what Thais think unless it is an interpersonal situation. Is this what's known as white man's burden?

Yes, I do believe it's true that there are disproportionately more loser farangs in Thailand than a lot of places I've lived. I think many Thais believe when they see an older male in Thailand he is here for wrong reasons. I think many farang women think that too.

The world is full of losers and winners. Maybe the old git with the little brownie is a loser. Maybe not. Who the <deleted> cares?

a painfully embarrassed facial expression by the wife/girlfriend - an altogether embarrassing situation for all people in vicinity.

Sorry ColPyat, but I have to against you on this one, do you in you wildest dreams think that Thai people give a hoot about some Farang walking with a young Thai woman?

Farangs are judgemental, Thai's don't really give a toss.

Why would you feel embarrassed about a total stranger and his partner anyway? :o

Personally - when i see some 50 something year old bloke in the department store with his juvenile wife (as i did yesterday when i returned my videos), and both can't even communicate the barest minimum without using their hands and feet, i feel very embarrassed.

You remind me of a man in Foodland a while back.

I went to do some shopping with a friend and his wife's 16-year old daughter.

While I was walking back towards them, a man passed by them (you perhaps) and more loudly than a whisper, muttered, "Pervert".

My friend heard it as did several other people.

It seems he gets this quite regularly from idiots like you and it doesn't seem to bother him, anymore. He's been taking her shopping for the past 12 years.

There are some rules about flaming here on this forum :o

And no, it is rather easy to see the difference between a wife and a daughter, especially when there is almost no shared communication (lack of it replaced by shouting and gesturing), a painfully embarrassed facial expression by the wife/girlfriend - an altogether embarrassing situation for all people in vicinity. And no - this was not in "patters" where this might be accepted behavior, but in a normal neighborhood in Bangkok.

Who said anything about Pattaya? This was in Foodland just off Sukhumvit.

My point is: how can you assume just because a older farang man is with a much younger Thai girl/woman that they are husband and wife? Then torture yourself about it and then write your half-baked opinions on this forum.

Do you torture yourself as much if you see a 50-year old farang with a 70-year old Thai woman? I take my wife's mother shopping sometimes, she's 78...and I couldn't give a rats arse what anyone thinks, most especially narrow minded people such as yourself.

Edited by JRinger

For all of you who are so embarrassed by the actions of other farangs in Thailand, I just wonder. Are you similarly humiliated anywhere else in the world by other caucasians? How do you get through the day? Do you really believe any Thai will think any less or worse of you because of it. Why do you care what Thais think unless it is an interpersonal situation. Is this what's known as white man's burden?

Yes, I do believe it's true that there are disproportionately more loser farangs in Thailand than a lot of places I've lived. I think many Thais believe when they see an older male in Thailand he is here for wrong reasons. I think many farang women think that too.

The world is full of losers and winners. Maybe the old git with the little brownie is a loser. Maybe not. Who the <deleted> cares?

Maybe you should read the OP again - here, reposted for you:

Are farangs who marriages failed in the West luckier than those who marriages were successful? You go out in Bangkok and you see a 55 year old guy dressed in beach attire riding the skytrain with his twenty-two year old wife, and then you see another set of farang 55 year old husband and wife and she looks like she weighs 80 kg. So doesnt this mean that the farang who drank too much and wrecked his marriage back home and escaped to Thailand is luckier than the farang who didnt drink too much and is still married?

I find this sort of behavior offensive, with a complete lack of manners and consideration for others and local customs of decency in public, sexist to the extreme - reducing a woman to some sort of trophy, and ultimately personally insulting.

There is nothing i can do about the sad fact that this is so in Thailand, but please, don't expect me not to be embarrassed when i have the misfortune to encounter this, and having to cringe at such a celebration of tackiness that is best left to a good comedy on TV.

Last week I was going to my local Hanamasu store when I spotted a very beautiful young Japanese girl with a very much older man, I thought to myself, I wonder what he's got.

Then he walked to his Ferrari.

Then I knew.

or maybe, just maybe, he was her father...

a painfully embarrassed facial expression by the wife/girlfriend - an altogether embarrassing situation for all people in vicinity.

Sorry ColPyat, but I have to against you on this one, do you in you wildest dreams think that Thai people give a hoot about some Farang walking with a young Thai woman?

Farangs are judgemental, Thai's don't really give a toss.

Why would you feel embarrassed about a total stranger and his partner anyway? :o

Thais may hide their feelings well in public, but if you think that Thais are not extremely conscious of correct public behavior and appearance than you are very mistaken.

And anyhow, i am embarrassed - i am in no need to ask Thais if i am allowed to be embarrassed in whatever situation i encounter.

Edited by ColPyat

Maybe you should read the OP again - here, reposted for you:

Are farangs who marriages failed in the West luckier than those who marriages were successful? You go out in Bangkok and you see a 55 year old guy dressed in beach attire riding the skytrain with his twenty-two year old wife, and then you see another set of farang 55 year old husband and wife and she looks like she weighs 80 kg. So doesnt this mean that the farang who drank too much and wrecked his marriage back home and escaped to Thailand is luckier than the farang who didnt drink too much and is still married?

I find this sort of behavior offensive, with a complete lack of manners and consideration for others and local customs of decency in public, sexist to the extreme - reducing a woman to some sort of trophy, and ultimately personally insulting.

There is nothing i can do about the sad fact that this is so in Thailand, but please, don't expect me not to be embarrassed when i have the misfortune to encounter this, and having to cringe at such a celebration of tackiness that is best left to a good comedy on TV.

why do you find it offensive or personaly insulting that an older man has a young wife....??? :o

or is it his beach ware attire?? :D

in the west its now very popular (headed by many of hollywood starlets)to have an older woman and a younger man.

does that offend you too?

is it ok for A thai man to marry a woman half is age or take one as a mia noi?? that is also part of the culture here.

As for trophy.... could it be, in line with the local culture, that she is the one holding the trophy?? simboling others that this guy is taken and stay away from him???

chintee was 100% right.

if they are both intrested in this realtion. why is it anyones business??? :D

Last week I was going to my local Hanamasu store when I spotted a very beautiful young Japanese girl with a very much older man, I thought to myself, I wonder what he's got.

Then he walked to his Ferrari.

Then I knew.

or maybe, just maybe, he was her father...

Ummmmmmmmmm, I didn't get the impression that they were Father and Daughter, then again what do I know, I was there and you was not there, I guess you're right.

This is a silly debate.

I am married to a Thai woman. My wife is younger than me, but not drastically. I fit into the 'divide by two, plus seven years' rule, but only just. I didnt meet her in a bar. I don't take care of her family, because she doesnt have one. I work hard to pay for our life together. I have spent the last three years building a very solid foundation for a relationship with her. I will continue to do the same for the rest of my life, I hope.

On occasion she has been known to take my hand when we're walking in public. Sometimes I take hers first.

I would like to apologise sincerely to everyone on this forum that this entirely inappropriate marriage offends.

in the west its now very popular (headed by many of hollywood starlets)to have an older woman and a younger man.

does that offend you too?

Public tackiness mistaken as style by some Hollywood stars or other uneducated celebrities is not the behavior i see as a model for me.

If such public tackiness is thrown into my face - i see it as an invasion of my space. I do care about manners, and just because Thailand is seen as a Disneyland for adults where it's developing status (and some other internal factors) makes it possible that everyone can live the life of such uncultured celebrities, or an illusion thereof - does not mean that i have to support it, agree with it, or condone it. I have to accept it, but that is as far as it goes.

And anyhow, i am embarrassed

Yes you've already said that many times, but WHY are you embarrassed about a total stranger with HIS CHOICE of partner? :o

I am embarrassed about bad behavior in public, if thrown into my face - remember the original post, please.

That i question the motives of most relationships with a huge age gap, little shared language skills, etc., i encounter, is an altogether different matter. Not necessarily one of embarrassment though.

And i am insulted by the display of sexism here, where women are reduced to a trophy, where the OP judges older western men with older western wifes as some sort of "looser" as compared to an older westerner who acquired a young third wold trophy bride.

And i thought i was sexist because i am a lazy git at home... :D

Edited by ColPyat

Walk down Hollywood Boulevard as you step around the human sh!t. Are you embarrassed for humanity because of that? Who exactly are you embarrased to? Some other well dressed middle class person? senseless.

"human sh!t", Really? I haven't been there for many years, has it gotten that bad?......back to the subject at hand...

Some say there are winners and losers everywhere. .....No winners without losers and vice versa. and what constitutes a "winner"? Someone with a pocket full of money and a Benz (isn't credit grand) and a young beautiful wife?.....Too many judges in the world who don't even know how to take responsibility for their own lives. Blaming society and this and that for their own mis-fortunes. and what about the so-called "losers"? The old saying, "walk a mile in my shoes" before casting judgment has merit.

There seems to be many intelligent people on this forum as well as not. Myself, I'm in the middle although I have never been embarrassed or assumed responsibility for life's short-comings, especially in a country where I am just a visitor, even after living here nearly 20 years. I do, however, take full responsibility for myself.

And anyhow, i am embarrassed

Yes you've already said that many times, but WHY are you embarrassed about a total stranger with HIS CHOICE of partner? :o

That i question the motives of most relationships with a huge age gap, little shared language skills, etc., i encounter, is an altogether different matter.

Yes, but why would you care? :D

As real as the love of a third-world hooker!

You're starting to make some ludicrous generalisations now, as well as getting offensive.

I sincerely hope you pull your head in when you get here, because otherwise you're going to be very lonely and very bitter.

Oh, how kind of you to worry. I'm sure I'll be fine, but thank you so much for your concern.

-CG

Yes, but why would you care? :o

If you don't care, why do you post in this thread?

Because I'm wondering why you care. :D

Right now - because i have not much else to do. :D

But about the OP - read the points of my post you didn't comment on after you asked me about what exactly i am embarrassed about.

This is a silly debate.

I am married to a Thai woman. My wife is younger than me, but not drastically. I fit into the 'divide by two, plus seven years' rule, but only just. I didnt meet her in a bar. I don't take care of her family, because she doesnt have one. I work hard to pay for our life together. I have spent the last three years building a very solid foundation for a relationship with her. I will continue to do the same for the rest of my life, I hope.

On occasion she has been known to take my hand when we're walking in public. Sometimes I take hers first.

I would like to apologise sincerely to everyone on this forum that this entirely inappropriate marriage offends.

Very nice Bendix, silly it is...

I too would like to apologize for being married to a faithful, loving Thai woman for the past 12 years who is 10 years younger than me.

Would anyone else like to join this mass display of sorrow for causing certain members a degree of embarassment, and some members - mentioning no names but looking firmly at canadiangirl - such outrage?

It helps, you know. It really does.

Now that I've apologised I can relax a little.

Would anyone else like to join this mass display of sorrow for causing certain members a degree of embarassment, and some members - mentioning no names but looking firmly at canadiangirl - such outrage?

Well, yes, you have a point here.

Internet forums as affirmative action program giving a voice to otherwise silenced sad existences. :D

Bring it on. :o

Edited by ColPyat

My marriage is far from a sad existence. I resent the suggestion it is. Let's not personalise this, huh?

And it's far from silent.

Uhhh...

Who personalizes here?

Seems that the one who gives has difficulties to take the same... :o

No, me good mate, this was just said in jest, my sincerest apologies, t'was no comment on your relationship in any way (how could i - i just know you as the slightly abrasive internet persona), sorry for the misunderstanding.

People should be able to be with whoever they want. If an older guy wants a young sexy body by his side let him have it. If a younger girl wants a rich over-the-hill father like figure as her boyfriend more power to her. Who cares! Look at the US. Right now Fred Thompson is trying to be president. His wife is around 40 and he's around 64 or so. He should just dump they 40 year old anyways she's looking old. Did you she the movie Alfie? In the new version Alfie has a relationship with an older woman who eventually dumps him because he's too old. She goes for a new toy boy. Cher and Liz Tailor do it. The guys love them. As you can see with Cher and Liz it not about money or opportunity, lots of guys like older women. Haven't you ever seen the websites for these kinds of relationships? Where do you think the name 'sugardaddy' came from? So what if some guys want to be sugardaddies and some sexy petite young thai girls want a sugardaddy to take care of them.

Viva the sugardaddies! Sugardaddies enjoy!

People should be able to be with whoever they want. If an older guy wants a young sexy body by his side let him have it. If a younger girl wants a rich over-the-hill father like figure as her boyfriend more power to her. Who cares! Look at the US. Right now Fred Thompson is trying to be president. His wife is around 40 and he's around 64 or so. He should just dump they 40 year old anyways she's looking old. Did you she the movie Alfie? In the new version Alfie has a relationship with an older woman who eventually dumps him because he's too old. She goes for a new toy boy. Cher and Liz Tailor do it. The guys love them. As you can see with Cher and Liz it not about money or opportunity, lots of guys like older women. Haven't you ever seen the websites for these kinds of relationships? Where do you think the name 'sugardaddy' came from? So what if some guys want to be sugardaddies and some sexy petite young thai girls want a sugardaddy to take care of them.

Viva the sugardaddies! Sugardaddies enjoy!

well said. i could'nt have put that better myself

I'm flattered by the attention, of course, but I remain puzzled by your need to single me out. I'm hardly the only one to express a negative opinion.

In case my position isn't clear enough -- I don't give a fig if a Thai marries a farang or a gecko marries an elephant -- my beef is with those, like the OP, who hold up relationships where money is likely to be a significant factor (and if you doubt this, ask yourself how many relationships between old men and young women of similar wealth do you see in the West?) as somehow more of "a prize" than a relationship that some vague chance of being between equals (as in the case of the old farang man and his old farang wife)

For all that relationships with women, sex with women and the bodies of women: their weight, attractiveness, age and general value are constant topics of discussion on this forum, certain men seem bloody uncomfortable with women having opinions on any of these.

I guess we're supposed to be good trophies when we're young (ability to speak English optional) and then have the good grace to fall off the face of the earth we get old and our market value has gone down. In no case are we supposed to act on our own self-interest, have opinions that interfere with the dream world of tired old men or expect to be treated as a fellow human being, if one is to believe some of the posters here.

Edited by canadiangirl