Starbucks In Nong Khai

JonnieB

Well, the world-wide march of Starbucks has made it to dusty little ole Nong Khai on the Thai-Lao border!!! :D I can still remember the FIRST Starbucks that opened in Thailand, just around the corner from my first condo in Bangkok just 7 short years ago. I'm speaking about the first, original Starbucks in Thailand...still going strong I would suppose all these years later...I speak of the branch located in the Nai Lert building on Sukie soi 5 :D Yes folks, that's where it all started...

Well, recenlty, I was at a local branch of SBs here in my current abode of Pattaya, and low and behold, there was a poster-board announcing their latest branch in Nong Khai!!! Jing-jing!!! I joked with the barista about a SBs in Paak Issan and she proudly informed me that besides the Nong Khai branch, there were also outlets in Korat and Kohn Kaen! What next I imagined...but outlets in Ubon, Udon, Sarakham, Surin...who knows where and when the SBs beast will have its hunger for more outlets satiated. Now all the farangs doing their obligatory up-country visits or just looking to harvest a tilac before they hit the big-time will not have to go without their favorite cup of joe. :o

I can still remember how my life changed the day the first branch opened...This was back in the old days when getting a decent cup of Java (anything besides Nestle instant) was next to impossible. You wouldn't even dream of the possibility of finding an espresso or latte anywhere in the Kingdom. See all you newbies to the Kingdom, things have changed for the better in 7 years as now such delights as decent coffee is as ubiquitous as the mia chows warming stools around Pattaya :D

Edited by JonnieB

things have changed for the better in 7 years as now such delights as decent coffee is as ubiquitous as the mia chows warming stools around Pattaya :o

Yes, there is decent coffee now in Thailand, but in my opinion you won't find it in Starbucks. Lots of better coffee shops around. I put Starbucks in Thailand at the bottom of my list.

I remember when Starbucks first came to downtown Chiang Mai some 5-10 years ago. Local expats and regular visitors already had a good few choices for decent coffee. For some while Starbucks picked up most of its business from Japanese and other tourists, who welcomed it as a 'safe' option. I haven't been to CM recently so don't know how that one's doing now.

Well, the world-wide march of Starbucks has made it to dusty little ole Nong Khai on the Thai-Lao border!!! :o I can still remember the FIRST Starbucks that opened in Thailand, just around the corner from my first condo in Bangkok just 7 short years ago. I'm speaking about the first, original Starbucks in Thailand...still going strong I would suppose all these years later...I speak of the branch located in the Nai Lert building on Sukie soi 5 :D Yes folks, that's where it all started...

Actually the first Starbucks opened in Thailand is the one located in Central Chidlom department store, which started operations on July 17, 1998 according to the Starbucks Thailand page http://www.starbucks.co.th/en-US/_About+St...ee+Thailand.htm

I was aware of this when I first came to Thailand in the late 90s. Sorry to correct you there!

Having a Starbucks in Nong Khai is absolutely amazing but it makes sense due to the number of travellers going through the area. Backpackers, even that they are on a budget, often frequent Starbucks in Thailand because they can relate to the brand..hence you see a number of them at the MBK Starbucks, and others located in tourist areas whether frequented by backpackers or higher-end travellers. And isn't there Starbucks in/around Khaosan?

I was pretty frightened not too long ago seeing Starbuck's in Khon Kaen.... :o

starbucks is an over rated expensive coffee chain , there coffee isnt even good ,theres lots of small shops everywhere charging 25/35 for a good cup of coffee ,next time your in a town and fancy a coffee try one of the local shops ,you'll be surprised how good some are'

I love my coffee, and that means I love starbucks coffee. How can you compare Starbucks to the old lady on the soi, or the wooden coffee kart you see everywhere in Bangkok's shops. Admit it, it's the price that puts you off, not the taste/quality!

I would spend my buck for the best local fresh coffee, what starbucks offer wasn’t in my itinerary, if starbucks are really good I would rather grind my own coffee beans. :o

I can't remember exactly which month is the harvest, but ask around and then visit some villages up in the hills above Chiang Mai and you can purchase your own Arabica fresh "green" beans and then you can keep them sealed in a freezer and take out small amounts and roast them yourself in a wok under low heat.

Starbucks in Isaan is pretty amazing. Could it also be classed as a shame? (same category as 7/11s, Subways and other "seen everywhere and bored of them" chains). However, relatively speaking, there is money in Nong Khai as there is in Udon. Two up and coming cities.

Sidetracking, but best coffee I've had so far has been in Scoozi. Starbucks is only good for the comfy chairs, magazine reading and people watching. I only buy a coffee there when I'm bored. Their food is even worse.

I like Starbucks I have to say. You pay not for just the coffee (which is very good in my opinion) but for the ambience. I also like Thai kaffee tung. There's an excellent coffee cart on Sukhumvit near Phrom Pong BTS station, if I recall correctly.

But I hardly think the SBUX franchises in places like Nong Khai are only there because of the occasional western traveller who wants a fix of familiar joe. They're there because the Thai franchisee believes there's a local market. And obviously there is. Just go to any SBUX off the beaten tourist path, for instance Thonglor, where the SBUX is full of stylish Thai young people.

Edited by billp

I think Starbucks is overpriced and people are paying for the experience more than the coffee, but I truly admire the companies marketing creativity and prowess. I remember the CEO saying they aim for a Starbucks on every street corner on the planet. But not one yet in Jomtien! Strange. The modern equivalent of global Yuppies can enjoy a Starbucks Crappaccino even if they can't afford the more substantive trappings of wealth, like a house or car. I drink Lattes, therefore I am!

Edited by Jingthing

Starbucks in Isaan is pretty amazing. Could it also be classed as a shame? (same category as 7/11s, Subways and other "seen everywhere and bored of them" chains). However, relatively speaking, there is money in Nong Khai as there is in Udon. Two up and coming cities.

Sidetracking, but best coffee I've had so far has been in Scoozi. Starbucks is only good for the comfy chairs, magazine reading and people watching. I only buy a coffee there when I'm bored. Their food is even worse.

So Nong Khai and Udon have a place in society, given by TV members, they should feel fortunate, it's really amusing when reality bites

Edited by Creeper

Yes, there is decent coffee now in Thailand, but in my opinion you won't find it in Starbucks. Lots of better coffee shops around. I put Starbucks in Thailand at the bottom of my list.

Completely agree, but at least they started the trend of proving there was a market for decent coffee in Thailand...it will have to do till my favorite Peets makes it here :o

I love my coffee, and that means I love starbucks coffee. How can you compare Starbucks to the old lady on the soi, or the wooden coffee kart you see everywhere in Bangkok's shops. Admit it, it's the price that puts you off, not the taste/quality!

Yes, somehow it doesn't make sense that Starbucks is so successful and they are making money hand over fist, but their coffee is "no good".

Sounds like the same old phonies who can't admit that a McDonald's burger every once in while hits the spot or the wine in Australia and California is as good as in France. :o

Perhaps it,s the prices or maybe the quality of the coffee ????

I,ve been past several times and the place is dead, not much business going on at present from my observations.

Noticed the odd shopper sittting on the outside seating making Mobile phone calls, but no sign of any coffee or anything.

I liked the old set up with the eating hall as it was.

Now it,s always overcrowded due to lack of space / seating ect.

marshbags

Ironically, that first Starbucks in the Nailert Building on Sukhumvit Soi 5 closed yesterday, August 20th. The owners are redeveloping the building.

I'll miss it. Great staff who remembered your name and knew what you wanted before you walked in.

Starbucks has got a great business model.....terrible coffee at exorbitant prices in a terrible ambiance....people owning shares in Starbucks have made alot of money from this.

Something in what I have written above doesn't make sense. Starbucks has definitely made alot of money so that makes sense....and I guess because they have made alot of money then the "great business model" makes sense.....hmmmm....I just can't figure out why this doesn't make sense....can you?

Edited by chownah

True. I would never touch them in true coffee societies like mainland Europe or even Australia and New Zealand, but in places where there is a dearth of alternatives, they satisfy a need.

My current favourite is Au Bon Pain (Silom). Excellent coffee with half-cream half-milk 'whitener'. IMO Starbucks sucks in comparison. Lots of other coffee outlets in BKK with better coffee.

I don't know what you're all smoking, but you'll have to share it with the others.

Starbucks brought consistency of quality in a high end product, together with packaging and retail experience, and has dominated the world and redefined a category. You are probably the same whingers who complain about McDonalds, Burger King, hollywood Movies, and every other successful brilliant formula that your kind couldn't think up huh?

Starbucks is not the best value for money. It may or may not be the best cup of coffee on any given street, but usually it is. But, it is the same exact product and experience anywhere in this whole world. You are guaranteed of knowing you will get exactly what you pay for and expect. They call this simple concept American innovation, and the rest of the world is jealous of it, cause they can't get it right.

I don't know what you're all smoking, but you'll have to share it with the others.

Starbucks brought consistency of quality in a high end product, together with packaging and retail experience, and has dominated the world and redefined a category. You are probably the same whingers who complain about McDonalds, Burger King, hollywood Movies, and every other successful brilliant formula that your kind couldn't think up huh?

Starbucks is not the best value for money. It may or may not be the best cup of coffee on any given street, but usually it is. But, it is the same exact product and experience anywhere in this whole world. You are guaranteed of knowing you will get exactly what you pay for and expect. They call this simple concept American innovation, and the rest of the world is jealous of it, cause they can't get it right.

I must admit that the main reason I used to go to Starbucks was for the comfy armchair. Now however many other coffee shops have followed this concept. Full credit to Starbucks if indeed they were the ones to introduce this level of comfort to the coffee world....but.......as for the coffee.......

Yes, somehow it doesn't make sense that Starbucks is so successful and they are making money hand over fist, but their coffee is "no good".

Sounds like the same old phonies who can't admit that a McDonald's burger every once in while hits the spot or the wine in Australia and California is as good as in France. :o

I take the same position in this as I usually do in these arguments. Their coffee is alright, just like Mc Donald's burgers, but the fact that their shops are clean and attractive, plus the fact that just like Mc Donald's they now are part of a 'global' America™ package is far more important for their success.

I don't mind paying for a cup of coffee every now and then at that price either, that's not the issue.

My main objection is that for every big successful chain that pops up everywhere, the world seems a little less interesting and diverse. Some people are happy with living in a world that looks like Singapore, and good luck to them. I prefer unique places.