Urgent - No Dialysis, How Long Can He Survive?

Thanh-BKK

Hello.

A quick question for which i need an urgend answer: A man whose kidneys don't function and who's taken off dialysis, how long can he survive? He's 50+ years old and in general very bad health.... but i want to see him alive once more but can't get out of $@#! Bangkok before friday.........

Thanh

Thanks.

It's my boyfriend's father. Been on dialysis since over a year after being diagnosed with acute and total kidney failure. Ever since it's been going downhill for him. Just was there last weekend, he now can't walk at all and has to be spoon-fed, but can't eat more than maybe a small bowl of soup per day. He has difficulties speaking and seems to be partly paralyzed too.

When my boyfriend, his sister and me arrived there friday night, he was so happy to see all of us..... and even the doctor said that it was the best that could have happened to him, to see all of his family together, a family that i now belong to....... he was crying when i fixed the light/ceiling fan in the living room which was so high in the ceiling that nobody could ever reach there to fix it, even standing on a chair, but my almost 2 meters did it, it was the last flaw in his house that had never been fixed..... he tried his best to thank me in english......... i would give everything to have him live....

But as of recent his reactions to the dialysis have been mediocre, instead of better (like months ago) he usually felt even worse after it was done, my boyfriend's mum explained it was also because he knew that his children were both working only to pay his dialysis costs, and that he simply lost all will to live because there is no way out, we can't afford the costs of a transplant.......

Now just today, when i wasn't there, all the rest of the family decided to stop the dialysis........ saying it "doesn't work anyway" and better save the money for the funeral which will have to be soon, with or without dialysis!

But when i left there yesterday night i held his hand and i said "i'll see you next weekend", and i want to keep my promise!!

Thanh

Exactly how long before he dies I can't say, but his mental status will start to decline well before that and he'll go into a coma. To have an idea of how long before he's mentally out of it, take whatever the maximum number of days between his dialysis sessions there used to be (i.e. did he have it every day, every other day, or 3 times a week?). The range for him still having his mental faculties intact is probably not more than twice the longest interval he used to have between his dialysis sessions. After that he will get progressively confused then go into a coma.

Prior to becoming comatose he will get very confused and possibly agitated. He may also have a lot of itching. The family should sedate him as necessary to keep him comfortable. Hopefully they can obtain this from the doctor/hospital. Oral medications, if he is unable to swallow, can be placed under the tongue to dissolve and be absorbed there.

Thanks.

It's my boyfriend's father. Been on dialysis since over a year after being diagnosed with acute and total kidney failure. Ever since it's been going downhill for him. Just was there last weekend, he now can't walk at all and has to be spoon-fed, but can't eat more than maybe a small bowl of soup per day. He has difficulties speaking and seems to be partly paralyzed too.

When my boyfriend, his sister and me arrived there friday night, he was so happy to see all of us..... and even the doctor said that it was the best that could have happened to him, to see all of his family together, a family that i now belong to....... he was crying when i fixed the light/ceiling fan in the living room which was so high in the ceiling that nobody could ever reach there to fix it, even standing on a chair, but my almost 2 meters did it, it was the last flaw in his house that had never been fixed..... he tried his best to thank me in english......... i would give everything to have him live....

But as of recent his reactions to the dialysis have been mediocre, instead of better (like months ago) he usually felt even worse after it was done, my boyfriend's mum explained it was also because he knew that his children were both working only to pay his dialysis costs, and that he simply lost all will to live because there is no way out, we can't afford the costs of a transplant.......

Now just today, when i wasn't there, all the rest of the family decided to stop the dialysis........ saying it "doesn't work anyway" and better save the money for the funeral which will have to be soon, with or without dialysis!

But when i left there yesterday night i held his hand and i said "i'll see you next weekend", and i want to keep my promise!!

Thanh

"doesn't work". from what i know its a balance, but many people still lead productive lives. Proper diet, proper medication, and of course frequent dialysis is required. Mother in law was in and out of hospital I i.e. 1 month in, one month out for years, and very sickly. We put her on 3 dialysis instead of 2, and an extra shot of some kinda medicine, and she has not been hospitalized for 18 months now. We set up a small thai restaurant in the suburbs which she manages ( mental goal / objective in life once more ) and she is healthy and active.

In this country it is a sickness where it does not pay to be poor though.