Patong To Karon

gazman

you could take a motorbike taxi. Should be a bit cheaper if you are traveling alone. They stopped the bus service due to the fact that the Tuk Tuk drivers were attacking the bus drivers.

Yes,

From the Phuket Gazette Issues and Answers:.........

Why is there no songtaew bus running between Karon and Patong?

Monday, May 10, 2004 Alex Thow.

“In 1994, we established a public transport route linking Patong and Karon. After just three days, however, the driver was pulled from his vehicle and badly beaten by competitors.

We would still like to have an investor operate a songtaew along that route, but since 1994 nobody has contacted us about it.

They are probably worried about having similar problems and losing their investment capital. Public transport in Phuket faces many problems of this nature. ”

Monday, May 10, 2004 Teerayuth Prasertphol, Deputy Director, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office."

Hey, why don't we all join together and start up a bus service?

One driver, seventeen riding shotgun sounds about right!

• 4 years later...

i just wanted to open a new thread about songtaews on phuket, but i found this one here ...

what about today? are there any songtaews between patong and other beaches?

is it possible to get a songtaew from patong to the phuket bus station?

Still same today, only Tuk Tuk/taxis between beaches.

There are public buses from main beach towns to Phuket Town. Terminates at the local bus station, not the city bus station. So still need Tuk Tuk/taxi to get the airport bus. Although you could get off the local Patong bus at Central Mall, walk round the corner to bypass road, and wait for airport bus to pass.

200 baht???? Then I realised this was an old resurrected thread.

I have noticed that there appears to have been an increase in the number of motorbike taxis in Patong but are there any in Karon/Kata? Certainly where I am there is no motorbike queue and I've been told this is due to the local taxi/tuktuk mafia.

I've also noticed a new unlicensed taxi just waiting close to the end of my soi. It is a car with regular black and white plates and a taxi sign sitting on the top. Must be in with the right crowd!