Hi-speed On 2 Computers

RueFang

I have 2 computers at home with internet...one is TOT IPStar Satellite 256/128 the other is dial up TOT. Although the satellite connection is not super fast, it does my needs, but using the dial up is painful..literally 5 minutes to download a page (7+ minutes for TV!). Both computers are in the same room.

What is the best way to make them both hi-speed off the same connection? Would it be to use a wireless router or is that just for ADSL? Apart from the router what is required? Thanks for your suggestions :o

I have 2 computers at home with internet...one is TOT IPStar Satellite 256/128 the other is dial up TOT. Although the satellite connection is not super fast, it does my needs, but using the dial up is painful..literally 5 minutes to download a page (7+ minutes for TV!). Both computers are in the same room.

What is the best way to make them both hi-speed off the same connection? Would it be to use a wireless router or is that just for ADSL? Apart from the router what is required? Thanks for your suggestions :o

Any router, wireless or regular ethernet should suffice. A basic D-link or Linksys router will be enough. You'll have to get the local cost from others but they're about $30 here for wired and about $45 for wireless. Most PCs these days come with built-in ethernet cards, if you go wireless you'll have to get those too.

All the D-link routers I've seen (Hat Yai) are for ADSL connections. I assumed this wouldn't work with a satellite connection? My com with satellite only has one hub (network adapter?) which the modem plugs into. How do I connect the 2 coms? Thanks again...

All the D-link routers I've seen (Hat Yai) are for ADSL connections. I assumed this wouldn't work with a satellite connection? My com with satellite only has one hub (network adapter?) which the modem plugs into. How do I connect the 2 coms? Thanks again...

You connect the router to your modem and the computers to the router like this:

Satellite

|

Modem

|

Router------------------------------Computers

Edited by cdnvic

I have TOT IPStar and bought a High speed Ethernet switch. Simply plug the cable from Modem to computer into the switch instead and then run cables to as many computers as you wish, of course dependant on the number of ports the swithc has.

Works for me

Does TOT register that you have more than one computer using the connection when you use this type of switch? I think the router avoids this problem?

They can't see further than your router which is an excellent firewall :o

ADSL/Cable/etc all use the same routers. Just need a length of CAT5 (looks like thick phone line) between the modem and router.

If you connect the router to the moden you share a 256/128 connect. If you use a managed switch like my SMC which cost only 400Baht and connect it to the IPstar/moden which is a nat router in itself then each local IP gets 256/128 thats why they want to charge for more then one PC if you use the router option it changes nothing for the ISP still providing a single local IP to the router at 256/128. You can even spoof the route MAC address and they will think its a single PC. I realy don't think they care if you split your own bandwidth, but I am sure they will care if you start adding via switch. Up service to 512 and use a router for 256 max on both or 512 when only one is in use. Thats most liky cheaper then the dail up your using add 500 baht a month to IPstar and 2500 one time for a router. your P2p's will be cooking all nite.

edit PS when shopping for router if your using IPstar Sat. your router is only up linking your local network to the modem. your connecting it to ethernet out of IPstar. More then half the places I stopped at wanted to sell me an ADSL modem and cable modems. Make sure they know what an IPstar modem is. Download the stat sheet and take copies with you.

Edited by RKASA

Hows about a real cheap option of an ethernet cross over cable between the two computers?

What kind of Satellite router is connected? Does it not have a spare ethernet port?

If not the cheapest three options are:

1) Install an addition ethernet port into the pc connecting to the router (unless it has one already) then use a Ethernet cross-over cable to connect the two PC together. In XP then setup a home network to enable your main PC (connected to the router) to provide DHCP and NAT services (just follow the XP guide)

2) But the cheapest ethernet switch you can find and wire it then configure the home network as above

3) The cheapest - you mention wireless, do both the computers have a wireless interface? If so just configure an adhoc network or the main PC as an access point and configure the home network etc.

:o

The IP star modem only has one J45 plug labeled WAN. There is a USB port but I have found it locked out. IPstar modem will provide up to 16 IP's local. For ease of operation and if more is added later I think the router is a good option. You will have 4 ports and wireless connection for laptops. The up link IE output of router to input of IP star may require crossover cable, but more and more the connection are MX and sort them self out no need for cross over cables. My smc managed sw is that way as well as the VoIP box I am using. even I can't mess it up.

If you connect the router to the moden you share a 256/128 connect. If you use a managed switch like my SMC which cost only 400Baht and connect it to the IPstar/moden which is a nat router in itself then each local IP gets 256/128 thats why they want to charge for more then one PC if you use the router option it changes nothing for the ISP still providing a single local IP to the router at 256/128. You can even spoof the route MAC address and they will think its a single PC. I realy don't think they care if you split your own bandwidth, but I am sure they will care if you start adding via switch. Up service to 512 and use a router for 256 max on both or 512 when only one is in use. Thats most liky cheaper then the dail up your using add 500 baht a month to IPstar and 2500 one time for a router. your P2p's will be cooking all nite.

edit PS when shopping for router if your using IPstar Sat. your router is only up linking your local network to the modem. your connecting it to ethernet out of IPstar. More then half the places I stopped at wanted to sell me an ADSL modem and cable modems. Make sure they know what an IPstar modem is. Download the stat sheet and take copies with you.

Thanks for the useful info. I've heard that the 512 wasn't worth the extra because it wasn't that much faster! My dial up only costs 3 baht/2 hours so vertually nothing but it's too slow to ever use. I'm still quite confused about which router to buy...every computer shop I've gone into won't sell me the ADSL router because I have IPStar but the only alternative is a Wireless router which I don't have set up in either computer. Can you be more specific about which router to buy?

Technocracy - thanks for your suggestions. My first thought was to just connect the 2 with the CAT5 cable but only have one ethernet port that the IPStar modem takes.

I'm going in to the big city (I'm stuck out in the boonies!) tomorrow so can someone tell me the specific router I should buy...no computer shops do returns so I don't really want to throw away a couple of grand on the wrong router!

thanks heaps :o

I sent an IM I hope it weent out I gave this link http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=530

The diagrams show how to connect it. Pictures worth many words. They are right you don't need a moden just a router. And even if its a wireless router look on the back it is vary likey to have 4 J45 ports for CAT5 cables as most routers do. the fifth port is the uplink to the modem that may or may not req. the use of crossover cable which is the same as others just wired diff. inside. one meter about 40 baht mark as xover or it might get mixed with other cables. You can use most any brand as long as it does the same thing.