Where/how To Cash Or Deposit A "order" Cheque In Thailand?

jkoll724

Hi guys,

I am not that certain this is the right section to start this thread in but nevertheless:

Few days back I received a cheque from an US company paying me comission for few online sales I made for them. I happily danced into the local branch of Kasikornbank where I have my account thinking depositing this will be a breeze.

To may dismay the personnel did not have much ideas about how to cash/deposit a cheque in US$ and after lenghty discussions involving most of the branch's employees they came to conclusion that the cheque will need to be sent to their headquaters in Bangkok and should and money will be than deposit in about two weeks after the cheque is verified as valid. I was ok with that, after all one living here needs to be patient sometimes :o

Anyway few minutes later I was unfortunately informed that since the cheque is for amount less than US$100 it simply can't be cashed or deposited and advised to try another bank! Now I find this fairly odd as I am bringing money here (sure its not that much for this particular cheque) yet they would not pay it out.

Does anyone have similar experience or advice for me? I must also mentioned that I tried to do this in our provincial centre Kamphaengphet and perhaps I would be luckier in Bangkok. Any suggestions at all?

Thank you, kind regards

jkoll

The cheque will have to be returned to the US for clearing. Allow, say, a month. This will all cost money so it's hardly worth it for less than $100.

If this is going to happen regularly open an account with the Bangkok Bank and get the money paid into their New York Branch for transfer here. no problem.

The last thing you want is a foreign cheque arriving here.

Hi guys,

I am not that certain this is the right section to start this thread in but nevertheless:

Few days back I received a cheque from an US company paying me comission for few online sales I made for them. I happily danced into the local branch of Kasikornbank where I have my account thinking depositing this will be a breeze.

To may dismay the personnel did not have much ideas about how to cash/deposit a cheque in US$ and after lenghty discussions involving most of the branch's employees they came to conclusion that the cheque will need to be sent to their headquaters in Bangkok and should and money will be than deposit in about two weeks after the cheque is verified as valid. I was ok with that, after all one living here needs to be patient sometimes :o

Anyway few minutes later I was unfortunately informed that since the cheque is for amount less than US$100 it simply can't be cashed or deposited and advised to try another bank! Now I find this fairly odd as I am bringing money here (sure its not that much for this particular cheque) yet they would not pay it out.

Does anyone have similar experience or advice for me? I must also mentioned that I tried to do this in our provincial centre Kamphaengphet and perhaps I would be luckier in Bangkok. Any suggestions at all?

Thank you, kind regards

jkoll

Can't you just deposit it in your hometown bank account even if you have to mail it back?

I have dollar checks that I deposit in my credit union account at home and then use my debit card from that same CU to take out baht from Thai ATM's.

If these checks are something that will come up again and again - why not have them deposited into your account that has a debit card that you can use in Thai ATM's?

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Why do you think that any Thai bank is going to cash it ? If you walked into an American bank with a cheque made out in Thai Baht, you would be laughed out the door.

Not sure what got it going this way but I want to ensure you that I AM NOT an American and if you read any kind of "americano-centrizm" :o in my initial post than its not meant to be there.

Anywho having that sorted out, are you seriously putting on the same level the strength/international acceptance of Thai baht and US$? You are just running up your post count right?

To the others: Thank you for your info, but as you perhaps understand by now I am not an American so depositing it directly in US is out of question (I have no accounts there!). However I will look into opening a BKK Bank account for this purpose as you advised.

Thank you

jkoll

Edited by jkoll724