Why Is Everything So Slow?

TexasRanger

I can't understand it, why when I pay a premium to have a UPS package delivered I can watch it wniging it's way from country to country via Denmark and Dubai in less than 24hrs and then............. Bangkok, scanned in 12 hours ago and still not arrived and I am less than 1 hour from the airport on a major road (which incidentaly has no traffic problems today).

It is just so frustrating sometimes why things move so slow here.

Ah, I feel better for that.

Why is everything so fast where ever it is you come from??? Why don't you just relax...the package will get to you when it gets to you and not a moment sooner. Nothing you do will make it arrive a minute faster...no matter how many times you check the little packages whereabouts on the internet.

The only things that really need to move fast are police, fire-trucks, and ambulances as far as I'm concerned :o

I can't understand it, why when I pay a premium to have a UPS package delivered I can watch it wniging it's way from country to country via Denmark and Dubai in less than 24hrs and then............. Bangkok, scanned in 12 hours ago and still not arrived and I am less than 1 hour from the airport on a major road (which incidentaly has no traffic problems today).

I am working in Papua New Guinea and it has taken DHL 2 days to get a small package 750 km from Lae on the north coast via Port Moresby on the south coast and then up to me at Mt Hagen in the mountains of the western highlands.

There is 1 road from Lae to Mt Hagen about 470km of the worst roads I have seen and NO road from Port Moresby up here.

The Austrailian army came up from Moresby using 4wd trucks and it took them about a month to get here.

And you think you have problems.

Well it has turned up at last. The lying toad who delivered it said I wasn't in when he tried to deliver it which is crap because I have been sitting here waiting for it all day, haven't been anywhere. When I took them to task on it they said he knocked my door, I asked how he got in the building because he doesn't have a swipe card or the combination, no answer.

They offered to deliver it again tomorrow to which they got a negative answer so they brought it this afternoon. Just laziness on the part of the driver really and lying about it doesn't impress me much. It is a shame the system performs well in all the other countries only to be let down by the (sadly expected) Thai attitude to service.

..........which adds to the already alarming rates of Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancer etc.<br /><br />Keep it simple, keep it slow, give up the western worrying.

Very funnily, "organized" and "efficent" countries have a much higher life expectancy than "relaxed" and "mai pen rai" Thailand...

They may live longer with all that efficiency...but are they happier???

Why are record numbers of people fleeing these organized and efficient societies for the many "slow" counties around the world. I think quality of your years on mother earth are more important than the quantity.

Well it has turned up at last. The lying toad who delivered it said I wasn't in when he tried to deliver it which is crap because I have been sitting here waiting for it all day, haven't been anywhere. When I took them to task on it they said he knocked my door, I asked how he got in the building because he doesn't have a swipe card or the combination, no answer.

They offered to deliver it again tomorrow to which they got a negative answer so they brought it this afternoon. Just laziness on the part of the driver really and lying about it doesn't impress me much. It is a shame the system performs well in all the other countries only to be let down by the (sadly expected) Thai attitude to service.

Jai Yen Yen when you are hot in these part of the planet. Thai always promise but slow in delivery. :o

The item has to clear Customs.

Sometimes it can take 10 days, numerous phone calls, faxes, emails, messengers picking up your passport, under the table payments, screwups, noodle breaks, naps, etc. Takes time.

The last thing you want to do is let them know you are in a rush.

Why is everything so fast where ever it is you come from??? Why don't you just relax...the package will get to you when it gets to you and not a moment sooner. Nothing you do will make it arrive a minute faster...no matter how many times you check the little packages whereabouts on the internet.

The only things that really need to move fast are police, fire-trucks, and ambulances as far as I'm concerned :o

I've known medical-samples & food-samples to be moved via courier, these too can be very time-sensitive, especially when they are laying in the sun decaying ...

And I personally like to see tax-refund cheques, moving in my direction, go fast ! :D

Glad your package made it.

UPS is horrendous even in the US. I live in Los Angeles about 10 miles from the UPS center that delivers to me. Normally no problems but about 1 in 10 shipments to me turns into some ridiculous exercise with them sending it to the wrong distribution center where I can see it then getting shipped back to the hub then to the right center. The turnaround adds a day to it. Two years ago, it took 2 days for my Dell computer to clear customs from Canada to the US for whatever reason.

The last shipment was delivered to the wrong address so I had to have them pick it back up and deliver it to me.

And these are slowed down as most people don't seem to know what those funny lights and sounds are for as one of these is approaching a junction...

Would you be happier living the life of a dirt poor Thai farmer or factory worker (these two socio-economic classes make up the VAST MAJORITY of the Thai population, they are the average Thai) or the average Westerner?

I know which one I and the average Thai would choose... Not sure about you.

Why are record numbers of people fleeing these organized and efficient societies for the many "slow" counties around the world.

To try to get more bang for their buck, can't you see it?

Those "slow" countries are much less developed and much less "wealthy" countries (guess why) and those "fleeing" folks (mostly males, we might add...) are going to take advantage of that. What most of them don't know is that they are also going to have to make a lot of compromises.

I think quality of your years on mother earth are more important than the quantity.

You mean dirt poor Thai farmers' families and dirt poor Thai factory workers' families have a better quality of life (besides shorter) than the middle and working classes back at home?

Get a clue about Thailand and Thai society and then come back here posting about these arguments...

When I first went to work in Laos my American boss mentioned that things might not move quite as fast as I was used to in the U.S.  He said to remember that:

"bo pen yang,  (mai pen rai, in Thai) makes'manana ~' sound like a war cry!"

Mac

you should have anticipated on it and called them earlier, I always have my packages on time, simply because I keep track and the second it's in, I call them 2-3 hours later it's here ... always :o

maybe the fact that I always tip as well, might have something to do with it.

everything is slow because its so hot ,ever see a thai rushing and sweating ,unless its for a free sum tam.......

"Organization" and "efficiency?" Isn't that why I left farangland to begin with...

But if it is so important to you...don't worry ... we'll always have Singapore :o

Isn't one of the reasons for living in Thailand the laid back way of life. I see the UK becoming more and more pressurised and efficient and don't entirely like it.

Jai yin yin khrap.

Though I've just had a letter delivered from UK to my remote village in Surin and it arrived here three days after being posted. Not bad!

this is funny.

Oganisation and efficiency.

Try moving to the UK as a non-national. The burecracy is a nightmare. But I digress.

Our experience with couriers in the UK is a joke. If it doesn't fit in the letter box and you aren't home, have to come and pick it up. If you chose to stay at home to wait, the best estimate they give is they'll be around between 9am and 5pm...convinently work hours. They refuse to call you to tell you that they are on their way to yours. If you can't pick it up, then you have to trundle down to the depot, which is only open between 9pm and 4.30. Again, work hours.

We gave up trying to get things delivered.

..........which adds to the already alarming rates of Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancer etc.<br /><br />Keep it simple, keep it slow, give up the western worrying.

Very funnily, "organized" and "efficent" countries have a much higher life expectancy than "relaxed" and "mai pen rai" Thailand...

And that's Game, Set and Match.

:o

Game, set & match my arse!

Who wants to live longer in the slavery of the western world? I'd sooner die tomorrow, knowing that I have enjoyed myself than live another fifty years in "organised & efficient" misery. I suppose if you do live longer, you'll get to enjoy all those heart attacks & strokes, dimentia, cancer, living at your doctors surgery/hospital, setting your alarm clock for every pill/medicine you have to take etc.

If this is what you want.........................ENJOY!!!!

Would you be happier living the life of a dirt poor Thai farmer or factory worker (these two socio-economic classes make up the VAST MAJORITY of the Thai population, they are the average Thai) or the average Westerner?

I know which one I and the average Thai would choose... Not sure about you.

Why are record numbers of people fleeing these organized and efficient societies for the many "slow" counties around the world.

To try to get more bang for their buck, can't you see it?

Those "slow" countries are much less developed and much less "wealthy" countries (guess why) and those "fleeing" folks (mostly males, we might add...) are going to take advantage of that. What most of them don't know is that they are also going to have to make a lot of compromises.

I think quality of your years on mother earth are more important than the quantity.

You mean dirt poor Thai farmers' families and dirt poor Thai factory workers' families have a better quality of life (besides shorter) than the middle and working classes back at home?

Get a clue about Thailand and Thai society and then come back here posting about these arguments...

You obviously came here for money reasons. I didn't. I came here to achieve a higher quality, which I now have...IN ABUNDANCE!!

You brought your heart attacks with you.

I frankly couldn't give a toss if it took a month to get a package from Woop Woop to Thailand. I've now got the time & the energy to enjoy myself while I'm waiting. Time & energy was something I was a bit short on in western slavery, plus those whip marks were embarrassing in public.

One more thing...I'm far from being monetarily rich.

Edited by elkangorito

Game, set & match my arse!

Who wants to live longer in the slavery of the western world? I'd sooner die tomorrow, knowing that I have enjoyed myself than live another fifty years in "organised & efficient" misery. I suppose if you do live longer, you'll get to enjoy all those heart attacks & strokes, dimentia, cancer, living at your doctors surgery/hospital, setting your alarm clock for every pill/medicine you have to take etc.

If this is what you want.........................ENJOY!!!!

Take a deep breath and try to reread the post you have replied to. You don't seem to be that calm, relaxed and jai-yen-yen, elkangorito.

We were comparing the life of the average Westerner, which JonnieB sad to be shorter and more miserable, to the life of the average Thai NOT to the life of the relatively rich Westerners who "flee" to Thailand.

So, elkangorito, which is better? "Slavery" in the West (working class/middle class family) or "slavery" in Thailand (farmer/factory worker family)?

You obviously came here for money reasons. I didn't. I came here to achieve a higher quality, which I now have...IN ABUNDANCE!!

I frankly couldn't give a toss if it took a month to get a package from Woop Woop to Thailand. I've now got the time & the energy to enjoy myself while I'm waiting. Time & energy was something I was a bit short on in western slavery, plus those whip marks were embarrassing in public.

If I may borrow that apt expression from you... "achieve a higher quality" my arse!

You came here exactly for the reason I gave: getting more bang for your (admittedly few) bucks! Why is it that you now have "time & energy" to wait and you hadn't in the West? Could it be that you were working full time and are now retired or semi retired?

Assuming you have the money to pay for it, explain what "higher quality" you get in Thailand that you can't in the West!

If I may borrow that apt expression from you... "achieve a higher quality" my arse!

You came here exactly for the reason I gave: getting more bang for your (admittedly few) bucks! Why is it that you now have "time & energy" to wait and you hadn't in the West? Could it be that you were working full time and are now retired or semi retired?

Assuming you have the money to pay for it, explain what "higher quality" you get in Thailand that you can't in the West!

My condolences to you, you poor bugger, for thinking that everyone in the worlds exists only for monetary profit.

Here are the answers to your questions/inferences:

1] I am genuinely here for the previous reason that I stated - quality over quantity/money.

2] Please check my personal details. You'll see a photo & other info is available. To save you the time, I'm 46 & not retired. Never have been retired. Never want to retire.

3] In Australia, I was making about 5 times more money than I make here. I receive no other income from anything else. I don't get paid a lot here (in Thailand).

4] To me, a higher quality life is about eating good food, which hasn't been processed to the max. In the west, food is mostly controlled by money (big corporations) & 'poor' farmers, which means that it's full of hormones (to make things bigger), full of preservatives (to make things last longer), full of pesticides & the like (to stop the bugs etc), full of fat/sugar (to make it taste better).

Here in Thailand, I can buy fruit & vegetables that actually taste like the ones my family grew on the farm when I was a kid (no additives at all). No such thing as tasty fruit & vegetables in the west, unless you can afford the ones that are grown the 'good old fashioned way'.

5] To me, a higher quality life is about going to work (as an engineer) & being able to do some engineering as opposed to being subject to the power playing politicians, whose main interest is to make your life as miserable as possible. Consequently, one spends most of the time dodging & weaving the attacks of these time wasting plebeians.

Although I do not do engineering here in Thailand, I go to work with a smile on my face & leave work the same way. Nobody wants to waste time playing games with me. Nothing is hurried. There is always time to be social with your fellow man.

The physical & mental strain placed on humans by ruthless companies (in the west) who try to squeeze every cent out of everybody, only increases the national health bill & ruins the quality of your life.

On the other hand, there are some people that equate happiness with material possession. Usually, it's all too late before they realise that this pursuit achieves nothing. What's that old saying? Ah yes, "You can't take it with you".

Edited by elkangorito

4] To me, a higher quality life is about eating good food, which hasn't been processed to the max. In the west, food is mostly controlled by money (big corporations) & 'poor' farmers, which means that it's full of hormones (to make things bigger), full of preservatives (to make things last longer), full of pesticides & the like (to stop the bugs etc), full of fat/sugar (to make it taste better).

Here in Thailand, I can buy fruit & vegetables that actually taste like the ones my family grew on the farm when I was a kid (no additives at all). No such thing as tasty fruit & vegetables in the west, unless you can afford the ones that are grown the 'good old fashioned way'.

Such an illinformed post, but I only have time to respond to one entry now (lunch time!):

The average meat, may it be moo or gai, in Thailand is FAR more stuffed with homrones than any meat back in a western country. Especially if you compare to any country with any decent rules, as Canada, Scandinavia and so on.

But you can continue to live in your fantasy boubble that the chickens at Saha farm is soo healthy and fine...

And don't forget that they put more MSG in everything here...and sugar.