Farangs And Falangs

bendix

It has become derogatory in many Thai places. If I meet an Isarn farmer and he calls me farang, I laugh.

If I met a Thai Chinese in Bk and he calls me farang I don't laugh - I probably call him 'Jek'.

It has a lot to do with the stress and intonation of the word 'farang'.

I expected more from you, Neeranam.

Why would an Isaan farmer call you farang? Why would a Thai Chinese call you farang? Are you talking about someone who knows you or don't? If he knows you, why wouldn't he call you your name? And if he does call you farang, why would he want to insult you since he knows you? What situation are you talking about when you say the use of the word farang is derogatory?

Why don't you carry out a discussion with some of your thai friends and relatives and come to a conclusion here? Do you mind? I am interested to learn. I just still can't see how the single word farang can be derogatory.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sticks and stones may break my bones

But names will never hurt me.

Who decided that the word 'farang' is derogatory? I suppose it is, if you want it to be! Tall people are sometimes called 'Tiny', short people - 'Lofty', anyone called Miller gets 'Dusty', ginger-headed people sometimes are called 'Duracell', should we ban all these as well? If you move into the lovely village of Midsomer St Hippo as a one year old, you are one of the 'Outsiders' or even 'foreigner', stay there your whole life and as you amble to the post office as an 80 year old, guess what? You are still an outsider.

Please worry about the important things in life, not the minutiae.

These people are not going to be the movers and shakers in a society where english is the primary language.

How do you explain GWB then ?

1. Murphy's law? or,

2. ummm that thing about if you put a chimp in front of a keyboard, the chimp could type something intelligible or,

3. Exceptions to every rule, sort of like i before e except after c.

I done skated real good din't I? :o

It has become derogatory in many Thai places. If I meet an Isarn farmer and he calls me farang, I laugh.

If I met a Thai Chinese in Bk and he calls me farang I don't laugh - I probably call him 'Jek'.

Why would an Isaan farmer call you farang? Why would a Thai Chinese call you farang? Are you talking about someone who knows you or don't? If he knows you, why wouldn't he call you your name? And if he does call you farang, why would he want to insult you since he knows you? What situation are you talking about when you say the use of the word farang is derogatory?

Why don't you carry out a discussion with some of your thai friends and relatives and come to a conclusion here? Do you mind? I am interested to learn. I just still can't see how the single word farang can be derogatory.

I'm talking about someone who doesn't know me, of course.

Jumping on a 'songtiew' in Isarn and an old farming lady says, 'farang soong', it's not derogatory.

Going on the BTS at Chidlom and a couple of women with faces like ghosts and their noses in the air , sneer , 'farang mun dtung' (looking like she's eating a lemon) - that's derogatory. It's more in the tone, which I can't explain in writing, that makes it very derogatory.

Anyone farung pronouncing it falung or falang or any other derivation is incorrect and only showing their ignorance. To continue to argue it is to reinforce that ignorance.CB

IMHO anyone who uses the word falung or falang is using slang and showing their ignorance, much the same as people who use the words colored and nigger to describe african americans. I do not allow the words to be used in my home and nor will i have my children using them but thats just me. :o

IMHO anyone who uses the word falung or falang is using slang and showing their ignorance, much the same as people who use the words colored and nigger to describe african americans. I do not allow the words to be used in my home and nor will i have my children using them but thats just me. :o

I agree, but would you mind having a word with Snoop, 50 cent, J Dee, J Z, J Dilla (but not Jai Dee of TV fame) JB Shoop, JV Jones,Ludacris, Lushis, Lucifer, and a few thousand other rappers and hip hop clowns about this.

You say that you do not allow slang in your house, it appears that you do not use capital letters either! You do not allow a perfectly acceptable word - farang - but you use the term 'African-Americans', why? What is an 'African-American'? To me it suggests one parent born in Africa and and one in America (not necessarily the USA) so if the father is Chilean and the mother is Egyptian then that child is African-American subsequent generations will normally adopt their country of birth.

The last slave ship was the Wanderer with its cargo of 400 slaves in 1858 so the last transport was 149 years ago or about 5 or 6 generations. All the descendants are now American and not in your segregated eyes 'African-American'. I know on a British passport, it states Nationality...British Citizen; do USA passport state Nationality...American (or USA/similar) Citizen or do they state 'African American', 'Sino-American', 'Anglo-American' or any other combination?

Now, why are you getting so upset over a word?

IMHO anyone who uses the word falung or falang is using slang and showing their ignorance, much the same as people who use the words colored and nigger to describe african americans. I do not allow the words to be used in my home and nor will i have my children using them but thats just me. :D

I agree, but would you mind having a word with Snoop, 50 cent, J Dee, J Z, J Dilla (but not Jai Dee of TV fame) JB Shoop, JV Jones,Ludacris, Lushis, Lucifer, and a few thousand other rappers and hip hop clowns about this.

Actually, there is currently a backlash in the African American community regarding this and the trend of using these words is dying out. :o

i am not a Thai and that's why i refrain from making a judgment whether the expression "farang" is derogatory or not. all what i have to add is that the word used for foreigner (NOT mentioned in a derogatory way!) is in arabic "frangi" and in Farsi, Urdu and Hindi it's "ferangi".

and now all you farungs, falangs, farangs, farlangs, furungs and furlongs have my permission to eat your hearts out whilst thinking of the next most important topic to discuss and to disagree :o

so if the father is Chilean and the mother is Egyptian then that child is African-American subsequent generations will normally adopt their country of birth

that's of course wrong Mr. Hippo. the only correct way calling that child is no doubt "Chilyptian" if the father is Chilean (because paternity ranks first). in case the father is Egyptian than the child would would be a "Egypchilean".

:o

so if the father is Chilean and the mother is Egyptian then that child is African-American subsequent generations will normally adopt their country of birth

that's of course wrong Mr. Hippo. the only correct way calling that child is no doubt "Chilyptian" if the father is Chilean (because paternity ranks first). in case the father is Egyptian than the child would would be a "Egypchilean".

I have traced my family tree back to the 1580's, a lot of my ancestors are English, there are others from the rest of the British and from Western Europe. What would I be classed as - a Pan-European mongrel?

I have traced my family tree back to the 1580's, a lot of my ancestors are English, there are others from the rest of the British and from Western Europe. What would I be classed as - a Pan-European mongrel?

1580? wow.

My family only goes back to 1770. Adam Neeranam and his wife Eve.

Jumping on a 'songtiew' in Isarn and an old farming lady says, 'farang soong', it's not derogatory.

Going on the BTS at Chidlom and a couple of women with faces like ghosts and their noses in the air , sneer , 'farang mun dtung' (looking like she's eating a lemon) - that's derogatory. It's more in the tone, which I can't explain in writing, that makes it very derogatory.

Glad you've made it clear now! :D

Your words are important, you know? Coz you are one of those whom I believe has a better understanding of the thai language.

Well in this case, of course we know already that those female ghosts have bad intentions. And I would say even the single word farang is going to be derogatory. The point is it is important to really know the intention of the people saying things, be it westerners or thais, it is all the same. You would come across situations like that even when speaking English, right? :o

For example, a farang seeing a pretty girl - "hello, good-looking" could mean "hello I want to rape you!" We are not going to say the word "good-looking" is derogatory, are we?

I am getting out of the way now for being off-topic. So is it "farang" or "falang"? I say "falang" for most thais I meet seem to say falang. :D

IMHO anyone who uses the word falung or falang is using slang and showing their ignorance, much the same as people who use the words colored and nigger to describe african americans. I do not allow the words to be used in my home and nor will i have my children using them but thats just me. :D

You say that you do not allow slang in your house, it appears that you do not use capital letters either! You do not allow a perfectly acceptable word - farang - but you use the term 'African-Americans', why? What is an 'African-American'? To me it suggests one parent born in Africa and and one in America (not necessarily the USA) so if the father is Chilean and the mother is Egyptian then that child is African-American subsequent generations will normally adopt their country of birth.

The last slave ship was the Wanderer with its cargo of 400 slaves in 1858 so the last transport was 149 years ago or about 5 or 6 generations. All the descendants are now American and not in your segregated eyes 'African-American'. I know on a British passport, it states Nationality...British Citizen; do USA passport state Nationality...American (or USA/similar) Citizen or do they state 'African American', 'Sino-American', 'Anglo-American' or any other combination?

Now, why are you getting so upset over a word?

:o Good one!

Anyone farung pronouncing it falung or falang or any other derivation is incorrect and only showing their ignorance. To continue to argue it is to reinforce that ignorance.CB

[/quote

Thanks for your contribution to the Political Correct world. :D I hope by the time your kids are fully grown, we human beings would have succeeded in turning every single word in the dictionary offensive so that we no longer need our tongues.

I think if we happen to come across someone who we are not sure where his exact origin is and not knowing his name, we should just pretend that we don't even see him so as not to offend him. Just treat him like a ghost and we won't offend him then.

Good idea?

The word is not derogatory in itself, but can be used in negative contexts. It is not the most polite word that can be used - but that's not quite the same thing as being derogatory.

If the word was really derogatory it would not be used in everyday conversation, and discussing topics such as 'ahaan farang' (Western food) 'nang farang' (Western movies) 'phleeng farang' (Western music) etc. in a neutral way. Which it is.

As a contrast, unless you have a negative attitude against Chinese people or do not understand the implications of the word 'jék', you would not ask a new acquaintance if they like 'ahaan jék' or 'phleeng jék'.

I say falang because that's how I hear Thais say it.

same with the male tag at the end of sentences. I say Kap, and the only times I've heard it as Krap (with a rolling r) is in feigned hyper formal context. Thai language is like English in that many if not most words aren't pronounced according to a strict interpretation of the words' spellings.

If you want languages that are largely consistant and true to their spellings, try Spanish or Latin.

I say falang because that's how I hear Thais say it.

same with the male tag at the end of sentences. I say Kap, and the only times I've heard it as Krap (with a rolling r) is in feigned hyper formal context. Thai language is like English in that many if not most words aren't pronounced according to a strict interpretation of the words' spellings.

If you want languages that are largely consistant and true to their spellings, try Spanish or Latin.

Si me rogas potes abire et tu ipse cacare

Edited by garro

When in Rome!

My ex had a problem saying - rabbit - rubbish - and Robert ---- they all came out as lubbot.

Thai is a relatively easy language to learn.

My wife still can't say - McConnochie, Ecclefechan, Milngavie, Sauchiehall St , St Enoch, Auchtermuchty and Aufurfuksake.

I prefer to use the word foreigner, I think the use of farang or falang word is sooo over used.

While living in Japan I never called myself a Gaijin, although I knew I was.

I never heard anyone in the states refer to them self a foreigner.

Why is it that here in Thailand so many do so? A whole conversation in english but, when it comes to the word foreigner some people feel the need to use Farang/Falang in its place?

Just a pet peeve of mine...

Anyone evr listen to the Queen speak? She says falang. I'd use farang personally, if I could roll my r's, which I cant. Since I can't, I use falang.

I can't believe it, even the Queen says something derogatory to Westerners?

pop3, I think it's time to think if you still want to stay in Thailand.

Anyone evr listen to the Queen speak? She says falang. I'd use farang personally, if I could roll my r's, which I cant. Since I can't, I use falang.

I can't believe it, even the Queen says something derogatory to Westerners?

pop3, I think it's time to think if you still want to stay in Thailand.

I cant put it any better than Neeranam has put it here. This is what I was trying to put across. personaly I have never heard the Queen talking of farang. but if she was she wouldent have been talking with a lemon in her mouth.