Software For Downsizing Photo Files

brahmburgers

I asked this question on the software forum, but not sure why I got no responses.

I used to have good working software (can't remember the name) for lessening the size of digital photos - but it had a limited time use. Can anyone suggest something - preferably freeware. thanks in advance.

I asked this question on the software forum, but not sure why I got no responses.

I used to have good working software (can't remember the name) for lessening the size of digital photos - but it had a limited time use. Can anyone suggest something - preferably freeware. thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned Faststone in that topic. My question was whether you meant resizing the file size or the image dimensions. Faststone can do either, resizing file by changing the .jpg compression ratio, image size - straightforward also.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned Faststone in that topic. My question was whether you meant resizing the file size or the image dimensions. Faststone can do either, resizing file by changing the .jpg compression ratio, image size - straightforward also.

FastStone looks like what he wants. Looks pretty effective for legit freeware.

If you use Outlook for your email client, it will do it.

You just select one or more photos from the WExplorer file listing and

select "send to" Mail Recipient.

It will then open a new message window with these

photos attached, reduced in size, and ready for a message and email address.

You can skip the email and just select the photos from the attachment list and

then save them.

A reduced pic is usually about 40-75KB in size.

Edited by paulfr

Not sure if you mean resize the picture or resize the file but anyway I use the paint program that comes with XP, open the Picture resize it if you mean the picture and save as jpg to resize the file all in one go, works perfectly for me and easy to use.

I use Imgresize.... not sure if the site is imgresize.com, or maybe www.bluescreen.de

I got it off www.downloads.com, where they have FREE programs... it's simple to use, and it's free.

keeps your original photo, and makes another one, with a slightly different name, in the same original folder.

thanks for the responses. I downloaded and tried some of the programs which were suggested - but they didn't seem to decrease the file size as planned. One was called 'Photo-Worker' but it only made thumbnails. FastStone seemed to only make my photos files larger instead of smaller! I wound up using a freeware program called EvJO photo-image resizer - which works rather well.

thanks for the responses. I downloaded and tried some of the programs which were suggested - but they didn't seem to decrease the file size as planned. One was called 'Photo-Worker' but it only made thumbnails. FastStone seemed to only make my photos files larger instead of smaller! I wound up using a freeware program called EvJO photo-image resizer - which works rather well.

Thanks for asking the question. I always did the Outlook trick that paulfr mentioned, but always wanted a better way. But never took the trouble to look for one.

photofiltre is a good freeware program, I am not sure if does batch resizing but it is a small easy to use photo editor that can resize the file or the canvas.

www.download.com/PhotoFiltre/3000-2192_4-10634969.html

Just get Adobe Photoshop,

Open the photo in photo shop, click on the image menu, click image size, set the dimensions to whatever your heart desires, hit enter, done deal. Save it wherever you like. There is also batch processing if you prefer.

I concur. Basically, if it can't be done in Photoshop it probably can't be done.

I've never been able to get the hang of the batch processing bit though - should read the manual I guess.

DM

Just get Adobe Photoshop,

Open the photo in photo shop, click on the image menu, click image size, set the dimensions to whatever your heart desires, hit enter, done deal. Save it wherever you like. There is also batch processing if you prefer.

I concur. Basically, if it can't be done in Photoshop it probably can't be done.

I've never been able to get the hang of the batch processing bit though - should read the manual I guess.

DM

I think we all know that to be understood, but were working within the criteria that the OP requested freeware, or (within TV rules) a (legit) affordable software for this particular task.

FastStone seemed to only make my photos files larger instead of smaller!

Probably didn't reset the compression ratio. If you use the default ratio of 10 (100%) it will probably come out larger. I just took a 3264 x 2448 image (4 MBytes) and set the compression ratio to 30% and ended up with a file with the original dimensions (3264 x 2448) but only 500kBytes in size. Comparing the images I can't distinguish any quality differences between them.