And Finally..... The Indian Restaurant On Beach Road, By Soi 11

Mobi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looked all right from the outside, and the wife had a hankering for Indian dosh.

It looked OK from the inside. Friendly staff etc.

We ordered Mutton masala, Chicken vindaloo, and a vegetable dish, plus some nan bread.

Nothing special, but OK..ish. Filled a hole, I suppose you could say.

As soon as we left the restaurant my wife came out in rashes all over her body, which she only gets if she eats sea food that is not fresh. But we didn't have any sea food. Hm... maybe the sauces had all been mixed up together???

The rashes responded to anti histamine, but about three hours later my wife was puking up all over the house. She didn't stop throwing up for 24 hours.

I was OK - but I've probably got a cast iron stomach - or I was just plain lucky.

Bad dose of food poisoning for the missus - not to be recommended. I bet they'd been keeping those curries simmering for several days.

Can anyone recommend a good, safe and clean Indian restaurant in Pattaya?

Now,now....be careful you don't jump to conclusions here.....you both ate the same food.....and you were OK so it might be something else - cast iron stomachs are a bit of a myth.

Now if it was an allergic reaction then that could make sense...BUT food poisoning can take between 12 ans 72 hours to make itself felt......so it might be possible that your wife was reacting to something she'd eaten anytime in the last few days....NB your comment about seafood....is she allergic to oyster sauce or fish sauce...ingredients Thai cookery uses in everything. they even put prawns into veggie dishes.

Having said that I have never had a really good Indian meal in Thailand - and I grew up on Indian/Pakistani food.

some of the restaurants are OK some of the time, but essentially you take your life in your own hands eating Indian food in Pattaya.

If you want an impressive location for Indian food in Pattaya there's one at the Royal Cliffe.

If you want a really impressive location with music etc etc go to the one one the 27th or 37th floor of the Rembrandt Hotel in Bkk, off Sukumvit.....take your credit card!

I think we debated the likelihood of food poisoning and the wife's sea food allergies at some length before in this thread, so i will not belabour the points further. Needless to say I won't be going back there.

I tried the Rembrandt Indian Buffet some years ago - Sunday lunchtime isn't it? Very impressive, a very tasty, with an enormous variety of food, and quite expensive. There seemed to be the 'cream' of Thai-Indian society there.

But I'm not going to Bangkok just to have an 'Indian', so Pattaya recommendations are welcome.

OK - but before you make accusations of food poisoning make sure you've giot your facts and story right.....

\

OK - but before you make accusations of food poisoning make sure you've giot your facts and story right.....

I said what I said, and I stand by what I said. There is no doubt as to the cause of the illness.

This thread was dead and buried and only resurrected to note the recommended places to go. Please leave it alone. Second time of asking.

Edited by Mobi

Hi Mobi, it's me!!!........I recommend that you try "Indian By Nature" on the left hand side of the road going down into Jomtien. It's close to "Bruno's" and "Gianne's". I think that it provides the best tasting and most authentic Indian food around and the best service and the atmosphere is spot on.....and it's just a little bit more expensive than those other scruffy curry places around the town.

Definitely agree with that one. India by Nature - expensive and not too large servings but really good food and service and ambiance.

Next time I'll go without the hangers on, It'll be a lot cheaper!! :o

There is a huge need for a good quality Indian restaurant in Pattaya that does not charge like you are in London or New York. I refuse to pay that here, and the more moderate priced places are OK, but I would never go there if there was a better alternative. I don't think the ingredients are that expensive or the cooking skills that rare, typical stupid greed, because offering this would result in a huge demand.

Edited by Jingthing

A good value cheaper option which GF and I always enjoyed was the Tikka Centre in Foodmart's carpark, but they've just moved up Soi Buakauo way. I hope they have kept the name so I can find them.

Well, whatever, but I thought that place was average at best. Cheap enough though. I am looking for cheap enough but really good, and in my view, this doesn't exist in Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

Just a quick one for you wilco.

Do you think it’s smart to let your credit card go out of your eyesight in Thailand?

Yes or No.

Please tell as I’m a bit naïve.

I've used a credit card for 10 years here =- no more worries than anywhere else - why single out Thailand???? If you think other places are safer you are being really naive!

I also use all other forms of plastic.

I had my card skimmed recently - I immediately spotted the machine and went to the bank who re-opened to issue me with a new card at 4.00pm on a Friday evening.......

Edited by wilko

There are alot of false and erroneous conclusions drawn about food poisoning - basically it means that people avoid the wrong restaurant or source of that poisoning. I would consider there is a very good chance that if it was poisoning it probably came from another source as they did not both get it....if you want to be prejudiced about it you will in the end very likely suffer again as you don't know where the source of the poisoning was.

There are alot of false and erroneous conclusions drawn about food poisoning - basically it means that people avoid the wrong restaurant or source of that poisoning. I would consider there is a very good chance that if it was poisoning it probably came from another source as they did not both get it....if you want to be prejudiced about it you will in the end very likely suffer again as you don't know where the source of the poisoning was.

Whatever....

But I can assure you that it is not at all uncommon for only some members of a group, who have all have eaten from the same source, to contract food poisoning.

'Cast iron stomachs' may be a myth, but certainly the antibodies - or whatever - that some of us carry in our guts, is more able to 'fight' the poison than weaker antibodies carried by others. In a similar way, some people will become more ill than others.

Often, Farangs will come down with food poisoning, and Thais will not, because their stomachs are more immune to the 'bugs' in the unclean water etc.

In this case - maybe because it wasn't Thai food, the reverse applied.

After 35 years of living and coming to Thailnd, I, my family and friends and fair have had our fair share of food poisoning through the years (some of it cultured and lab tetsed at hospitals for verification of diagnosis), and I think I have a fair amount of experience on this subject.

There is no doubt that the Beach road Indian restaurant was the source of my wife's illness. Neither of us has been ill since, and it is very rare for her to react the way she did following that meal.

Can we leave this alone now? (Third time of asking.)

\

I said what I said, and I stand by what I said. There is no doubt as to the cause of the illness.

This thread was dead and buried and only resurrected to note the recommended places to go. Please leave it alone. Second time of asking.

all his posts lately seem to be that way lately,., ,.i had fish one night and i too have cast iron stomach, minutes later i was throwing up, defiantly the fish, so it didnt take hours for a reaction on me either

There is a huge need for a good quality Indian restaurant in Pattaya that does not charge like you are in London or New York. I refuse to pay that here, and the more moderate priced places are OK, but I would never go there if there was a better alternative. I don't think the ingredients are that expensive or the cooking skills that rare, typical stupid greed, because offering this would result in a huge demand.

Since you have tried it, what are the prices like at Ahaar on Soi Post Office?

Whatever....

But I can assure you that it is not at all uncommon for only some members of a group, who have all have eaten from the same source, to contract food poisoning.

'Cast iron stomachs' may be a myth, but certainly the antibodies - or whatever - that some of us carry in our guts, is more able to 'fight' the poison than weaker antibodies carried by others. In a similar way, some people will become more ill than others.

Often, Farangs will come down with food poisoning, and Thais will not, because their stomachs are more immune to the 'bugs' in the unclean water etc.

After 35 years of living and coming to Thailnd, I, my family and friends and fair have had our fair share of food poisoning through the years (some of it cultured and lab tetsed at hospitals for verification of diagnosis), and I think I have a fair amount of experience on this subject.

There is no doubt that the Beach road Indian restaurant was the source of my wife's illness. Neither of us has been ill since, and it is very rare for her to react the way she did following that meal.

OK - what you say above is a classic example of what doesn't happen with food poisoning - and this is why I say that people should get their info straight on this - antibodies or whatever - food poisoning is caused by toxins released by bacteria in the gut. resistance to bacterial poisoning is highly doubtful and certainly isn't on racial divides.

Even vultures can get food poisoning - they are not immune to those sorts of bacteria..

the crucial part in working out where it came from is calculating the time of bacterial infection to the time the toxins take effect - this can depend on the type of bacteria and how ell established they are in the gut. This can take days so blaming your last meal is not an effective way of working out where the illness came from which is the crux of my argument.

The only way you can be sure is through a process of elimination that starts by identifying the bacteria - with a stool sample - and then working out how long they have been in your gut and then putting that time span against whatyou habve been eating.....

- there is no immunity to food poisoning.

when farangs talk of food poisoning they are often talking about a change in bowel movement brought about by not so much a sudden change in diet but a massive increase in poor quality alcohol. neither of these constitute food poisoning.

Believe you me it is more common for all members of a group to come down at once - the exceptions turn out to be the ones who didn't actually eat the bacterially infected items - I've known this with shellfish - I won't eat closed shellfish but some friends of mine who did all came down with piosoning. The sauce was the same and so was he cooking.

Whatever....

OK - what you say above is a classic example of what doesn't happen with food poisoning - and this is why I say that people should get their info straight on this - antibodies or whatever - food poisoning is caused by toxins released by bacteria in the gut. resistance to bacterial poisoning is highly doubtful and certainly isn't on racial divides.

Even vultures can get food poisoning - they are not immune to those sorts of bacteria..

the crucial part in working out where it came from is calculating the time of bacterial infection to the time the toxins take effect - this can depend on the type of bacteria and how ell established they are in the gut. This can take days so blaming your last meal is not an effective way of working out where the illness came from which is the crux of my argument.

The only way you can be sure is through a process of elimination that starts by identifying the bacteria - with a stool sample - and then working out how long they have been in your gut and then putting that time span against whatyou habve been eating.....

- there is no immunity to food poisoning.

when farangs talk of food poisoning they are often talking about a change in bowel movement brought about by not so much a sudden change in diet but a massive increase in poor quality alcohol. neither of these constitute food poisoning.

Believe you me it is more common for all members of a group to come down at once - the exceptions turn out to be the ones who didn't actually eat the bacterially infected items - I've known this with shellfish - I won't eat closed shellfish but some friends of mine who did all came down with piosoning. The sauce was the same and so was he cooking.

Neither me nor my wife drink alcohol...... :D

I'm exhausted :D

Now... back to the good and bad Indian restaurants :o

and you point is that because you don't drink it must be food poisoning from that particular restaurant.

I've heard better logic from a drunk.

I know this is the internet and you can more or less say what you want but if you wrote this elsewhere it could be construed as libel. You have little or no evidence to suggest what you're suggesting.

If your tired maybe it's another bout of poisoning...be careful you never know where it will come from next......if you think like that

and you point is that because you don't drink it must be food poisoning from that particular restaurant.

I know this is the internet and you can more or less say what you want but if you wrote this elsewhere it could be construed as libel. You have little or no evidence to suggest what you're suggesting.

If your tired maybe it's another bout of poisoning...be careful you never know where it will come from next......if you think like that

You just can't let it go and you must have the last word.

Don't you have anything better to do in your life than resurrect dead threads and have a go at the OP? I thought it was only TD that did that. :o

You were the one who made a barely disguised accusation that my diagnosis of food poisoning was more likely to be caused by alcohol than a dodgy Indian curry that had probably been stewing and re-heated for days.

And all I did was advise you that we don't drink. :D

I believe it may be your logic that is a a tad wayward here :D

How do you know that I don't have a sample of my wife's vomit bagged and frozen in the event of a libel suit :D

Enjoy, Raro..... :D

Edited by Mobi

I'm a great lover of Indian food, and cook it frequently myself.

I have never had an episode of food poisoning from my own food, most 'Indian' chefs in restaurants have very bad hygeine, its not often you see an Indian restaurant with an open kitchen.

Most food poisoning cases will come from cooks not cleaning their hands after going to the toilet, it really is as simple as that.

Since you have tried it, what are the prices like at Ahaar on Soi Post Office?

The prices are moderate. In between a shop house Pakistani dive and Indian by Nature/Taj. For example, 220 baht for a chicken tikka massala, 50 baht for a plain nan. Have to try it again. Now that I think about it, Ahaar might well be the closest thing we get here to somewhat decent Indian food at a somewhat moderate price. Still, nothing to write home to Bombay about. Would like to hear others opinions on the food there. Have only been there twice and there were some good dishes, but I was annoyed the first time when I asked them to make a dish more spicy and the dish came with no spice.

Here is a "review"

http://www.pattayamail.com/717/dining.shtml

but of course the so called Pattaya press loves all local restaurants.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm a great lover of Indian food, and cook it frequently myself.

I have never had an episode of food poisoning from my own food, most 'Indian' chefs in restaurants have very bad hygeine, its not often you see an Indian restaurant with an open kitchen.

Most food poisoning cases will come from cooks not cleaning their hands after going to the toilet, it really is as simple as that.

Another myth....most food poisoning comes from food storage!

Don't you have anything better to do in your life than resurrect dead threads and have a go at the OP? I thought it was only TD that did that. :o

You were the one who made a barely disguised accusation that my diagnosis of food poisoning was more likely to be caused by alcohol than a dodgy Indian curry that had probably been stewing and re-heated for days.

I believe it may be your logic that is a a tad wayward here :D

How do you know that I don't have a sample of my wife's vomit bagged and frozen in the event of a libel suit :D

Enjoy, Raro..... :D

Can you show me one line that if read correctly backs up your assertions? - In fact I've probably, from what I can gather from you rather obscure interpretations said the opposite.

May I respectfully suggest that a stool sample from your wife would be more useful and easier to collect?

Don't you have anything better to do in your life than resurrect dead threads and have a go at the OP? I thought it was only TD that did that. :D

I believe it may be your logic that is a a tad wayward here :bah:

Enjoy, Raro..... :bah:

Can you show me one line that if read correctly backs up your assertions? - In fact I've probably, from what I can gather from you rather obscure interpretations said the opposite.

May I respectfully suggest that a stool sample from your wife would be more useful and easier to collect?

Which part of....

Entering a completely empty restaurant in late afternoon

Being served our curries in less than two minutes - obviously not having been freshly cooked, and probably having being stewing for hours, if not days

No alcohol for months, and no other food since early morning at home

within 2 -3 hours the wife was puking up and shitting like a good'n and continued to do so for the next 24 hours,

The wife has never before ,or since, experienced a similar episode

.....is an obscure interpretation of the source of my wife's discomfort?

You are obviously a representative of the "Indian caterers food poisoning protection league of Thailand" (ICFPPLT for short), so I shall cease this ridiculous debate and let the readers be the judge of who may be correct. :o

Enjoy your Indians :D

Lets drop the personal attacks here please. If it continues I see no point in continuing this thread.

I thought we were behaving in a perfectly civilsed manner.

A little jocular maybe, but definitely civilised :o

Anyway this aspect of the debate has surely run it's course...

What say you Wilko?