Got A Motorbike

dave111223

I got a motorbike (moped) but am unsure about insurance and drivers license.

I asked my wife about insurance and she said we had to pay 100baht to the government for some kind of required insurance.

But i'd like to get some real insurance. I mean if i crashed the bike into someones car (or even worse someone) and caused damage i'd hate to be liable for however much they think your worth.

I'm not so worried about covering the bike itself (if it got totaled it wouldn't be the end of the world) but if I somehow manage to trash someones BMW that might be a different story.

Anyone know where insurance like this can be obtained (in Bangkok)?

If one were to get into a traffic accident here what is the procedure (assuming i am able to get insurance).

I know back home you would call the police and they'd come to make a report and exchange contact/insurance information.

Does it work the same way here?

Also do i need a license to drive it, if so what is the procedure for obtaining one.

Your responses are appreciated.

I got a motorbike (moped) but am unsure about insurance and drivers license.

I asked my wife about insurance and she said we had to pay 100baht to the government for some kind of required insurance.

But i'd like to get some real insurance. I mean if i crashed the bike into someones car (or even worse someone) and caused damage i'd hate to be liable for however much they think your worth.

I'm not so worried about covering the bike itself (if it got totaled it wouldn't be the end of the world) but if I somehow manage to trash someones BMW that might be a different story.

Anyone know where insurance like this can be obtained (in Bangkok)?

If one were to get into a traffic accident here what is the procedure (assuming i am able to get insurance).

I know back home you would call the police and they'd come to make a report and exchange contact/insurance information.

Does it work the same way here?

Also do i need a license to drive it, if so what is the procedure for obtaining one.

Your responses are appreciated.

Needing a licence is a grey area, if pulled over by plod usually 200BHT in their hand is sufficient to get you on your merry way. In Bangkok it's advisable to have one but up country not so many see the need. If you go to the local place where you register cars, bike etc you also apply for the licence. You will need a couple of passport size photos, proof of address & doctors certificate...the doctors certificate is usually obtained from the local clinic. If your breathing you pass! Getting the licence again is a grey area which depends on the person issuing. I got mine without much fuss but some have had to take a test, both written & riding...I think pot luck on the day.

As for insurance I'm sure someone else can advise on that subject

If you don't have a license, and I mean a Thai license, then your insurance is not valid. It's true that local cops may or may not hassle you for driving without a license, but if you crash into anyone or anything while driving with no license, you could be in real trouble.

As for insurance, I think the gov't minimum covers medical liability, not damage to someone's car. But I'm not totally sure about that.