Gprs For Pre-paid Users

ws07

Hi there,

What are the costs for GRPS for pre-paid users? I am on Happy and whenever I use GPRS it does not seem to deduct from my balance. However, I did receive some sort of a free GPRS top up card previously so I just entered it to my phone. Do they charge by the minute? Must I keep topping up to use GPRS?

Thanks

You can use either DTAC or AIS for prepaid GPRS connections assuming you already have a monthly billing account with either of them.

The charge for 400 hour useage from AIS is around 1000 baht, with other plans available. I have not used DTAC but have read that it is cheaper with unlimited use.

Good Luck

There are many monthly packages available for pre-paid cards - you don't need a contract! They work by just taking X amount of Baht from your pre-paid balance every month. And they send you warnings etc if you don't have enough funds in the account.

I am using AIS, just switched from a 350 BHT / month for 100 hours package to one with 20 hours for 100 BHT / month.

They have tons of plans, just call the call center. 1000BHT / month used to be the unlimited package with DTAC.

I would test them both before committing and find which one has more consistent EDGE coverage in your area. Where I am, DTAC has no EDGE anywhere and AIS has it almost everywhere so AIS is a lot better deal. But it is very regional, really depends on where you are.

Edited by nikster

I too use AIS pre paid. There are many different packages. I subscribe to the one that gives me 20 hours per month for 100 baht plus 7 baht VAT. They take the money directly from my pre paid balance. I use it when my piece of crap Ipstar is down. GPRS has been pretty good lately and I'm VERY tempted to tell TOT to come and get their satellite dish.

I too use AIS pre paid. There are many different packages. I subscribe to the one that gives me 20 hours per month for 100 baht plus 7 baht VAT. They take the money directly from my pre paid balance. I use it when my piece of crap Ipstar is down. GPRS has been pretty good lately and I'm VERY tempted to tell TOT to come and get their satellite dish.

I believe there's a snag with the prepaid. Since there's no record of who the user is, spammers have field days on it, and this results in the common pool of IP addresses regularly getting on spam blacklists. This means that when you send e-mail to anyone with spam BL filtering, your messages end up in their spam bins instead of in their inboxes. It doesn't happen all the time; it just means that mail you send out isn't very reliable, especially if you send to people who haven't got you on their whitelist.

. + SJ

I believe there's a snag with the prepaid. Since there's no record of who the user is, spammers have field days on it, and this results in the common pool of IP addresses regularly getting on spam blacklists. This means that when you send e-mail to anyone with spam BL filtering, your messages end up in their spam bins instead of in their inboxes. It doesn't happen all the time; it just means that mail you send out isn't very reliable, especially if you send to people who haven't got you on their whitelist.

. + SJ

Hasn't happened to me but a sure way to get around it would be to use your webmail to send email in this case.

Not that it helps much but issues like this are generally just erroneous / bad spam filters. I remember that some while back Verizon blocked all emails from the U.K. They kind of figured people wouldn't get many emails from "foreign" countries :o

I used AIS for a long time and webbased mail was only thing I could use to many problems other wise. I used a post paid 500baht 200 hours but they change all the time. It will not cut off if time is up. It switchs to 1baht per minute, and its not really 200hours day time rate is higher then the amount they use to rate it 200hours. One time I got a bill for 12000 bath because they had not charged any of the time on the gprs monthy and went stright 1 and 1+ baht a minute. Took more then 6 hours at AIS office before they would roll charge into the unused balence of gprs which was listed right on the same bill.