Kiss Freedom-of-information Goodbye: Hello Censors!

chevykanteve

Yeap. Well, check out my avatar. The man himself was a master at it.

I know we can't comment on individual cases of censorship in Thailand (wouldn't want the Government here to get antsy with Thaivisa, for example), but continuing the ban on youtube does seem kinda of draconian after all this time.

I'm sure there is something in the news section that said that ban was lifted .

seems intermittent here , no direct access but works when embedded into various web pages ,

wonder what that tells us ?

"Kiss Freedom-of-information Goodbye"

This is news? YAWN :o

• Almost four years ago the gov't blocked all Geocities-address websites (literally tens of thousands of sites) because of a few anti-gov't groups used the same website service.

• Three years ago, in a personal conference with the staffs of the BKK Post and Channel 11 TV, I was told that the two organizations walked a tightrope when it came to freedom of information vs. gov't pressure.

• Two years ago the gov't pressured the BKK Post to fire their reporter who reported true but less-than-complimentary information about the government's new baby--Savarnabhumi.

Most of us realized a long time ago that we hadn't moved to the Cradle of Democracy or the Bill of Rights. There are trade-offs to moving here. Live with 'em or go back to the cradle. I really don't think whining (whinging for you Brits?) is helping much. As guests in this country, I believe it's our place to "put up or shut up." Think about the ineffectiveness of any immigrant in your home country who would move there and then spend their time criticizing it. They look ridiculous and are, at the very least, marginalized in the thinking of your fellow countrymen/women.

Edited by toptuan

Two years ago the gov't pressured the BKK Post to fire their reporter who reported true but less-than-complimentary information about the government's new baby--Savarnabhumi.

egg on face ........rehire / not guilty ,

I'll get back to you about your others ...............

seems intermittent here , no direct access but works when embedded into various web pages ,

There was indeed something in the news section of the BKK Post and/or Nation to that effect, weeks ago. As I recall,the announcement to lift the ban came directly from the ICT. Well, if they said they'll lift it, I'm sure they meant so in utter sincerity, n'est pas??

Maybe when Sonthi gets to Burma tomorrow, the Generals will share junta freedom protection techniques. How many times now to Burma for Sonthi?

Birds of a feather....

Which of course is why Frank was such a frequent, and welcome, visitor. :o

Two years ago the gov't pressured the BKK Post to fire their reporter who reported true but less-than-complimentary information about the government's new baby--Savarnabhumi.

egg on face ........rehire / not guilty ,

No egg on (my) face. Reporter still fired. Fact. Establishes lapse in freedom of the press.

Yes, fixed later, but think of the chaos in that person's life and at the BKK Post in the intervening two years. I would, however, interpret your comment as "egg on face of government." Now, how about the other examples getting fixed later by a back-tracking gov't. Any word about that?

Yes, I know it's a new government, now. So, is your point, it IS getting better? :o

my point is that rule by fear / repression is temporary ,

you appear to be a student of history , challenge you to prove otherwise , even Nth Korea is being forced to open it's self up .

Point well-taken, but in my book, 70 years of repression (communism in Soviet Union), and 60 years (communism in China), for example, are stretching it.

With the human life-span an average of 72 years, that "temporary repression" is just a bit too long if I'm living under it. :o

my point is that rule by fear / repression is temporary ,

you appear to be a student of history , challenge you to prove otherwise , even Nth Korea is being forced to open it's self up .

Point well-taken, but in my book, 70 years of repression (communism in Soviet Union), and 60 years (communism in China), for example, are stretching it.

With the human life-span an average of 72 years, that "temporary repression" is just a bit too long if I'm living under it. :o

I'm glad we're not living in the (old) Soviet Union or in Communist China. How long did the Suchinda (=military know-it-all regime) last? Was it 2 years total? I still remember the censored newspapers and the blood on the streets. He too wanted to save the country. Good patriots... good "old boys".

There was indeed something in the news section of the BKK Post and/or Nation to that effect, weeks ago. As I recall,the announcement to lift the ban came directly from the ICT. Well, if they said they'll lift it, I'm sure they meant so in utter sincerity, n'est pas??

The lift was made with the understanding that the offensive videos would be pulled.

The videos remain, the ban remains.

The lift was made with the understanding that the offensive videos would be pulled.

So be it, sayeth.... This is ridiculous. Actually, it's becoming quite comical.

Yes, that is right John. But....

Google (YouTube) did delete the offensive videos of HM - as the MICT promised that once the videos were off-air then Thailand would un-block YouTube.

What happened however, was that just after YouTube deleted every offensive video, the Thai government then instantly demanded that Google hand over all the personal details/IP/ISP email of the posters - Google refused to do so. Soon after, some pranksters reposted the offensive video(s) That time round, YouTube weren't so daft to obey any stunts orchestrated by Minister Dr Sittichai.

The videos had already been pulled - that was until the MICT took a u-turn, lied tongue-in-cheek and threatened Google to hand over all the personal info. of the offensive posters. (most of them Thais in fact).

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Yes, that is right John. But....

Google (YouTube) did delete the offensive videos of HM - as the MICT promised that once the videos were off-air then Thailand would un-block YouTube.

What happened however, was that just after YouTube deleted every offensive video, the Thai government then instantly demanded that Google hand over all the personal details/IP/ISP email of the posters - Google refused to do so. Soon after, some pranksters reposted the offensive video(s) That time round, YouTube weren't so daft to obey any stunts orchestrated by Minister Dr Sittichai.

The videos had already been pulled - that was until the MICT took a u-turn, lied tongue-in-cheek and threatened Google to hand over all the personal info. of the offensive posters. (most of them Thais in fact).

The offensive videos were never all deleted.

Before, during, and after the time of the story, most had been taken down, but never all.

True, also, he was married to his own daughter, taught his son (?) to drink wine at age of 2, killed more ppl than possibly imagine, befriended with Hitler and fascist germany until it got clear, he was used as pawn...

Couldn't speak right, paranoid, all possible complexes and very bad judge of characters, surrounded by morons and maniacs.

Nice avatar. Cool choice.

True, also, he was married to his own daughter, taught his son (?) to drink wine at age of 2, killed more ppl than possibly imagine, befriended with Hitler and fascist germany until it got clear, he was used as pawn...

Couldn't speak right, paranoid, all possible complexes and very bad judge of characters, surrounded by morons and maniacs.

why ban informative web sites and leave sex sites open ,sex sites for the young can be damaging and can cause rapes in over excited youth ........

why ban informative web sites and leave sex sites open ,sex sites for the young can be damaging and can cause rapes in over excited youth ........

Dead right! And don't forget that wanking can result in blindness.