Kiss Freedom-of-information Goodbye: Hello Censors!

chevykanteve

First it was YouTube that was (and still is) blocked. Now today it's VEOH and METACAFE. What next? Google Video? Then the torrent sites? Then, finally, the forums?? Freedom of expression, via the Internet, is diminishing quickly in this country.

Are we now living in better times, information/censorship-wise, compared with a year ago? I'm tempted to say "NO", but instead I'll leave it as an open question.

Yes :D

Why?

do they not want the younger thai people to be better informed? they are not stopping these sites to up set the expats useing them ,theres not enough of us to worry about,there stopping the young bright kids from being an enemy in the future :o

I noticed that CNN's political ticker is also blocked now.

Is it just me or is censoring international news a bit of a red flag?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

Some people might argue that the red flag went up last September. Oh, we do talk in riddles nowadays, don't we (me included)? Talking-in-riddles is perhaps symptomatic of living in a dictatorship milieu... some would say.

First it was YouTube that was (and still is) blocked. Now today it's VEOH and METACAFE. What next? Google Video? Then the torrent sites? Then, finally, the forums?? Freedom of expression, via the Internet, is diminishing quickly in this country.

Are we now living in better times, information/censorship-wise, compared with a year ago? I'm tempted to say "NO", but instead I'll leave it as an open question.

Who has cried "Burma"?

Under Junta what do u expect?? Just look to the west at Burma as a shining example. :o

So, you're saying it's all a fait accompli and that settles the issue?

What are you saying?

they seem to be chipping away bit by bit ,and i dont think people realise what they are doing ........

left hand meet right hand ,

how are ya , what are you doing ??

accessable in the south on TOT

Actually, it's (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com) accessible up here also in the NE, or at least in my part of the NE. But VEOH, et al, remain BLOCKED by our BKK guardians of moral-virtue and political righteousness (May Peace And Blessings Be Upon Them).

left hand meet right hand ,

how are ya , what are you doing ??

accessable in the south on TOT

Actually, it's (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com) accessible up here also in the NE, or at least in my part of the NE. But VEOH, et al, remain BLOCKED by our BKK guardians of moral-virtue and political righteousness (May Peace And Blessings Be Upon Them).

Accessible in BKK not blocked.

Who said theres no bars or nightlife in Burma?

*sigh*

Another round of:

"This is a blocked site"

"No, it's not"

"Yes, it is"

"No, it's not"

:D:o

Do the other sites in the OP contain offensive to the Royal Family videos like YouTube?

If so, any and all Thai governments would block them.

Edited by sriracha john

In what country?

Too many sites are blocked by Thai governing bodies. They do think they can block certain information by doing this. For sure, it will not work. The only result of this is that it annoyes people surfing the net. You can not hide information from people. When Thailand goes truly democratic we may see some changes.

I hope this is a case of a temporary government trying to keep the lid on a volatile situation until a democratically elected government can re-establish full freedom of the media.

The current government to its credit is enacting legislation which says that websites can only be closed with a court order and article 45 of the new constitution goes further than the 1997 version in protecting the media from the closure of newspapers and other media outlets.

The trouble is that while the present junta has stated the re-establishment of the rule of law as one of its principal aims, Thai with political and bureaucratic power are in the habit of exercising controls they think appropriate whether or not they have a legal power to do so. Remember the 'banning' of the book 'Bangkok Inside Out' a couple of years back. Because a nipple was vsible on page 72, they leaned heavily on the book distributors to take the book of the shelves on the shaky pretext of a threatened obscenity prosecution.

It will be for the new government to take a more liberal approach, I hope.

Nothing "informative" about offensive videos of His Majesty.

I did a debate on sensorship with Uni students recently, and much as they naturally dislike such content they said that they are capable of judging good from bad by themself....

It'd not be surprising that a general poll amongst the entire Thai population of all ages might end up with a different result.

So i think we're all agreed then, right? Censorship is a ridiculous strategy only adopted by authorities who are either feeling insecure or who prefer to manipulate the freedom of the media only to pursue their own ends.

So i think we're all agreed then, right? Censorship is a ridiculous strategy only adopted by authorities who are either feeling insecure or who prefer to manipulate the freedom of the media only to pursue their own ends.

mate , thats hard to argue with ..............

want give me something to work with ? :o