...and Then There Was Darkness

Maejo Man

There I was just settling in for the live coverage of qualifying for the Turkish GP when there was an almighty crumpf from the transformer at the end of my soi, darkness ensued! Shit I thought, I'll just have to catch the replay later. Torrential rain is not conducive to repair crews rushing to the scene. The power was restored about half an hour later, when there was another almighty thump minutes later, yeah, it went again, and caughr fire this time.

The pics aren't the clearest as it was ariound 6.30 and pretty murky with the rain. Oh well maybe I'll get a better run for the race tonight :o

post-7622-1188101087_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1188101119_thumb.jpg

There I was just settling in for the live coverage of qualifying for the Turkish GP when there was an almighty crumpf from the transformer at the end of my soi, darkness ensued! Shit I thought, I'll just have to catch the replay later. Torrential rain is not conducive to repair crews rushing to the scene. The power was restored about half an hour later, when there was another almighty thump minutes later, yeah, it went again, and caughr fire this time.

The pics aren't the clearest as it was ariound 6.30 and pretty murky with the rain. Oh well maybe I'll get a better run for the race tonight :o

MM, The F1 will be as usual Mclaren/Ferrari duel, unless they wipe each other out. Turn 8 looks interesting. :D

does this happen in other parts of the world- ie transformers catching fire due to a short?

Im guessing that the fuses in the transformers should blow before the transformer catching fire, but my guess is that the repair crew whack in a fuse rated higher that doesnt blow before the transformer starts fire, who knows but transformers that pop is quite common here. Was in the Red Lion about a month back and there was an almighty bpooommmf - the transformer by Burger King gave up.

A very toxic substance comes out of damaged transformers even in the developed world and is spread by the explosions.

a quick look @ wikipedia says its the coolant used in old transformers that are quite bad -PCBs. :o

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are a class of organic compounds with 1 to 10 chlorine atoms attached to biphenyl and a general chemical formula of C12H10-xClx. Most PCBs were manufactured as cooling and insulating fluids for industrial transformers and capacitors, and also as stabilizing additives in flexible PVC coatings of electrical wiring and electronic components. PCB production was banned in the 1970s due to the high toxicity of most PCB congeners and mixtures. PCB's are classified as persistent organic pollutants.

MM go watch it at mad dogs. almost starting right now. go go lewis hamilton!

too stingy to pay for TRUEly crappy UBC so will start downloading it on torrents tonight :D

Lewis WHO?? :o

i'd be happy to put it on a CD for you. especially the part when he kisses the trophy :D

:o

Great Race! Sorry about Hamilton's tyre delamination, but it is nonetheless thrilling to see a 4-way split for the Driver's Championship, with not so many races left in the season. Exciting stuff (to me, anyway :D ) I had given up on F1 years ago, during the Schumacher hegemony. Really I'm a die-hard MotoGP fan. Not this year! F1 is just as cool, for a change.... :D

A very toxic substance comes out of damaged transformers even in the developed world and is spread by the explosions.

a quick look @ wikipedia says its the coolant used in old transformers that are quite bad -PCBs. :o

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are a class of organic compounds with 1 to 10 chlorine atoms attached to biphenyl and a general chemical formula of C12H10-xClx. Most PCBs were manufactured as cooling and insulating fluids for industrial transformers and capacitors, and also as stabilizing additives in flexible PVC coatings of electrical wiring and electronic components. PCB production was banned in the 1970s due to the high toxicity of most PCB congeners and mixtures. PCB's are classified as persistent organic pollutants.

Banned in the 1970's worldwide or in just some countries?

MM, The F1 will be as usual Mclaren/Ferrari duel, unless they wipe each other out. Turn 8 looks interesting. :D

does this happen in other parts of the world- ie transformers catching fire due to a short?

Im guessing that the fuses in the transformers should blow before the transformer catching fire, but my guess is that the repair crew whack in a fuse rated higher that doesnt blow before the transformer starts fire, who knows but transformers that pop is quite common here. Was in the Red Lion about a month back and there was an almighty bpooommmf - the transformer by Burger King gave up.

It happens here in Georgia, generally it's a squirrel commiting suicide by electrocution. ###### inconvient to lose power over a tree rat.

It happens here in Georgia, generally it's a squirrel commiting suicide by electrocution. ###### inconvient to lose power over a tree rat.

Happens a bit in Australia too, with the large possums in the suburbs, but not that often, they seem to have wised up :o