The American...

VonD

Greetings,

I am an American via New York City... visiting Thailand for the first time this October/November... I have several Internet Lady/friends I have met over the past 2 years ... I have learned to speak the language enough to have a conversation... studied the culture... etc...

Can anyone advise me on what to expect as a Farang ?... I have heard mostly nice things about Thailand and it's people...

Also.. What if I really like it and want to stay a year or so.. Is it difficult to get a job?... I have a career in Finance and have done many other things... (the list would bore you)...

Your advise is welcome....

thanks

Welcome to TV. :o

Plenty of good reading & answers to your questions in this forum.

Try the Visa section with regards to visas & work permits.

This section if you plan to vacation in Pattaya, however more specific questions might get you better anwers.

Cheers,

Soundman.

My advice to you is to spend a fair amount of time on this forum reading all the various topics . Thailand is a wonderful country with many beautiful women and fun things to do with an interesting but perhaps somewhat complex culture. By reading this forum, perhaps you can avoid learning things the hard way but instead learn from the mistakes of the many TV members that have preceeded you and have many years of experience in LOS.

If you speak the language you will be overrun with women for sure, no matter where you go in Thailand.

About getting a job. Well if you are willing to work for a Thai salary its probably very easy, but if you want a US salary its gonna be hard unless you are highly qualified in a profession that needs a foreign manager. Personally I would never work for a Thai company, especially not when its so easy to start a company here and become successful.

Personally I would never work for a Thai company, especially not when its so easy to start a company here and become successful.

This is far from the truth. I eventually did start a company and become successful, but I have been very lucky.

The last time I tried it, I encountered no interest whatsoever! :o

Greetings,

I am an American via New York City... visiting Thailand for the first time this October/November... I have several Thai Lady/friends I have met over the internet in the past 2 years ... I have learned to speak the language enough to have a conversation...& studied the culture... etc...

Can anyone advise me on what to expect as a Farang?...

I have heard mostly nice things about Thailand and it's people... Also.. What if I really like it and want to stay a year or so.. Is it difficult to get a job?... I have a career in Finance and have done many other things... (the list would bore you)...Your advise is welcome....

thanks

I'm not normally skeptical, but posting in the Pattaya forum of all forums with this strange situation? Where do your internet friends live?

Greetings,

I am an American via New York City... visiting Thailand for the first time this October/November... I have several Thai Lady/friends I have met over the internet in the past 2 years ... I have learned to speak the language enough to have a conversation...& studied the culture... etc...

Can anyone advise me on what to expect as a Farang?...

I have heard mostly nice things about Thailand and it's people... Also.. What if I really like it and want to stay a year or so.. Is it difficult to get a job?... I have a career in Finance and have done many other things... (the list would bore you)...Your advise is welcome....

thanks

I'm not normally skeptical, but posting in the Pattaya forum of all forums with this strange situation? Where do your internet friends live?

Actually, I was unaware of the various forums when I started this post... However, I plan to spend a lot of time in Phuket since some of my Thai friends live there.. and two are from Bangkok and Koen Kaen... ไม่เป็นไร ...Thanks

Greetings,

I am an American via New York City... visiting Thailand for the first time this October/November... I have several Internet Lady/friends I have met over the past 2 years ... I have learned to speak the language enough to have a conversation... studied the culture... etc...

Can anyone advise me on what to expect as a Farang ?... I have heard mostly nice things about Thailand and it's people...

Also.. What if I really like it and want to stay a year or so.. Is it difficult to get a job?... I have a career in Finance and have done many other things... (the list would bore you)...

thanks

Well here are my thoughts I came here several years for a month at a time, I finally was willing to settle here IF I could find a nice girl with the same interests as me. Well I did and have fallen in love we are going on 3 years and she is the most wonderful thing that has happen to me EVER!

PROBLEM I now live in Thailand this is one screwed up country in almost every way. I could elaborate but I must be somewhere for Christmas :-).

So I now I live in the jungle in a beautiful place with a beautiful girl and I am very happy BUT i live in Thailand.

Just for the record I am also from New York.

Moral of the story Come have a good time but DON'T FALL IN LOVE!

Edited by Jai Dee
quote limits corrected for clarity

Greetings,

thanks

Well here are my thoughts I came here several years for a month at a time, I finally was willing to settle here IF I could find a nice girl with the same interests as me. Well I did and have fallen in love we are going on 3 years and she is the most wonderful thing that has happen to me EVER!

PROBLEM I now live in Thailand this is one screwed up country in almost every way. I could elaborate but I must be somewhere for Christmas :-).

So I now I live in the jungle in a beautiful place with a beautiful girl and I am very happy BUT i live in Thailand.

I am also an American, born in Chicago and after 29 years of cold weather finally moved to Los Angeles where I spent another 29 years. I retired to Thailand when I was 58 years old. this is a great place to retire too, but as far as working you cannot just go out and find a job. Foreigners are not allowed to do any type of work that Thai people can do. If you are at retirement age and have a pension you can live here very comfortably especially in Pattaya. The only work you might be able to do here is to teach english if you have a degree, and you must take a tefl course to obtain a certificate. then the problem of finding a decent paying job. most english teachers make between 15,000 baht a month on the low end and 50,000 baht a month on the high end. So if you think you can live on $700.00 a month comfortably your really fooling yourself.

My sugestion would be to come here for six months on a tourist visa double or tripple entry and test the waters. Read up on Thai culture. Most people come here and know nothing about the culture which is nothing like the west.

Barry

Edited by Jai Dee
quote limits corrected for clarity

Read PRIVATE DANCER by Stephen Leather.

Don't leave the airport until you have finished it. Every word rings true and is based on real events!!!

As a back up Thailand Fever which is in both Thai and English on alternative pages. You can read this with your significant other.

No one is immune to the highly developed Thai mastery of releaving Farangs of their wealth.

Have fun. What have you got to lose apart from money?

Greetings,

thanks

Wow... great story Lou... thanks...

My question is how do you NOT fall in love with a Thai woman if she is genuine?...They are remarkably different than any other women on this planet ( I know because I have dated at least 3 billion and counting)icon6.gif...

My very good friend met a wonderful Thai girl a few years ago, fell in love and is as happy as a clam... he too, always swears she is by far the best thing that could have ever happen to him... and I am not talking about a bumkin... he was a master womanizer to not end...

But I understand your caution...

I take it that your jungle habitat is not of your choosing? Was she ever open to following you to the States?... Can you return to your place of origin?

Please .. don't be a stranger...

Greetings,

thanks

Wow... great story Lou... thanks...

My question is how do you NOT fall in love with a Thai woman if she is genuine?...They are remarkably different than any other women on this planet ( I know because I have dated at least 3 billion and counting)icon6.gif...

My very good friend met a wonderful Thai girl a few years ago, fell in love and is as happy as a clam... he too, always swears she is by far the best thing that could have ever happen to him... and I am not talking about a bumkin... he was a master womanizer to not end...

But I understand your caution...

I take it that your jungle habitat is not of your choosing? Was she ever open to following you to the States?... Can you return to your place of origin?

Please .. don't be a stranger...

Actually I did choose my location I could not be more happy with my location and my girl. I am from the school never to take a Thai girl out of Thailand she would miss the culture, family and food. I also would not like to return to the states except to visit.

YOU ARE RIGHT it is very difficult not to fall in love with a genuine honest Thai girl. They are the most wonderful people in the world. I have had girlfriends all over the world but when it came time for me to get serious I came here.cope with these differences can become very trying. My girl and my location are so wonderful that I can still be happy in this screwed up country.

I have to go now because it appears that my pension letter that was good until 2015 has to be renewed by the end of the month! :-) Like I said a screwed up country! Where the rules can change as fast as their constitution!

My point was that Thailand is a country with many problems and for Farangs to

Don't leave the airport until you have finished it. Every word rings true and is based on real events!!!

As a back up Thailand Fever which is in both Thai and English on alternative pages. You can read this with your significant other.

No one is immune to the highly developed Thai mastery of releaving Farangs of their wealth.

You beat me to it. If the OP wants a copy of Private Dancer, PM me and I will e-mail it. I have a copy stored on my computer.

Hello...

I took your advise and have almost completed Stephen Leather's book (Very cool cover!)...looking forward to checking out "Thai Fever"...

Recently, I spent some time in JAPAN... I can best describe it as the "Indiana Jones School of Sexual Adventure"... As a westerner I visited places that most foreigners are not cordially invited to attend... (for which I am very grateful because Japanese women are well beyond all 5 senses icon4.gif)...

I can fully understand why Japanese men are so protective of them....

True ... Many Thai women have manipulation down to an Art form (after all, necessity is the mother of invention)... I have already experienced it from afar...

Let's face it, they see American and European farang as prime meat... much like the lioness's on the Serengeti we are often thought of as easy prey ..... Where else in most instances... would Thai women be treated with "respect" and have all of the the fringes to boot?...

Answer: No where is Asia.. that is for sure...

I appreciate your advise.. thanks much...

Hello...

I took your advise and have almost completed Stephen Leather's book (Very cool cover!)...looking forward to checking out "Thai Fever"...

Recently, I spent some time in JAPAN... I can best describe it as the "Indiana Jones School of Sexual Adventure"...[i] [/i]As a westerner I visited places that most foreigners are not cordially invited to attend... (for which I am very grateful because Japanese women are well beyond all 5 senses icon4.gif)...

I can fully understand why Japanese men are so protective of them....

True ... Many Thai women have manipulation down to an Art form (after all, necessity is the mother of invention)... I have already experienced it from afar...

Let's face it, they see American and European farang as prime meat... much like the lioness's on the Serengeti we are often thought of as easy prey ..... Where else in most instances... would Thai women be treated with "respect" and have all of the the fringes to boot?...

Answer: No where is Asia.. that is for sure...

I appreciate your advise.. thanks much...

Really????? I've been living in japan for years and I don't see it. Maybe I should go to the same places you went because things are very dry here in Hiroshima. But, then again, after spending so much time in Thailand, I just do not find the Japanese gilrs attractive anymore....especially the wife. :D:o:D

Edited by hiromj