Labor Contract

I have been offered a position at a Thai company and we have discussed salary and I was asked if I wanted it written in a contract. I understand that for short time or contract work it makes sense to have an employment contract but I was a offered a full time position without an ending point. During the interview she talked about recruiting the management team for the next generation...

Is it common practice for all employees in companies to have employment contracts? It is also important to mention that I do trust this employer, I have been friends with the owner's daughter for the last few years, the owner was very generous with me and I have talked with both Thai and westerners who know about this company and they have all said that it is a great place to work. It is important to note that neither was an employee there; one of them had a family member who worked there and the other tried to get a job but was not hired. Despite not being hired he had nothing but good things to say about the company and the owner.

So does anyone know about this? How common are labor contracts for full time employees?

Really? We are just getting started with the process of getting the visa and work permit. What are the key aspects of the contract. Besides your wages what else needs to be included? Do all benifits need to be included? Do these need to be done every year when you reapply for your work permit? Does anyone have a copy of an example contract? Has anyone ever got a work permit without a contract?

Really? We are just getting started with the process of getting the visa and work permit. What are the key aspects of the contract. Besides your wages what else needs to be included? Do all benifits need to be included? Do these need to be done every year when you reapply for your work permit? Does anyone have a copy of an example contract? Has anyone ever got a work permit without a contract?

See my post in your other thread.

You should get EVERYTHING in writing, and any employer, friend or not, should be willing to do so. If not, run.

Thailand is one place where you have very little recourse in the event of a problem, and it's foolish to further limit your options by relying on 'trust' in lieu of a written contract. At some point, your usefulness and/or the economies of retaining your services will come into question. No problem, this happens everywhere. But unless you've grossly misbehaved, or committed malfeasance, you should be compensated. Good will is not sufficient.

Sateev

It isn't a general requirement to have an employment contract in order to get a WP. It isn't mentioned on any of the lists of required documents I've seen, and I - I for one - don't have any.

However, labor departments are like any other departments in Thailand - each local office make their own rules. So, the first requirement needed, before anyone can tell you whether you need a contract to get a WP at your local office, is to know which office that'll be.

You need a contract, period. I would think in any country in the world.

In the event of dispute between the employer and employee, the contract is the document referred to in who is wrong. The same goes for monetary transactions in any arena. No contract = no recourse.

You may trust the employer, but its equally important to get what you will be doing down on paper, along with what you will be paid for doing that. And of course, all benefits should be noted on there too. Youd be surprised how quickly benefits dissapear here.