Ubc False Advertising ...

rainman

I am starting to get extremely upset with UBC. First they started messing with the English Premiership football channels (as can be read through these forums from a few weeks ago), now it seems they're onto the Spanish League broadcasts. Last night, they were supposed to show the league opener Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid at 1am. 1am came and went and they showed absolutely nothing. Then at 4am they showed another boring Spanish League game with no importance at all. Tonight, they were supposed (all this according to their own TV guide and advertisements) to show Racing vs. Barcelona at midnight. Again, midnight came and went, with nothing showing on either of the sport channels 1-5. At about 00:10, they started showing a repeat of last night's boring league game.

This is the last straw for me. They advertise "live" Spanish League, two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday night. They showed so far one game on Saturday night and one repeat on Sunday night. Isn't this a total rip-off? I obviously subscribe UBC for all the other channels as well, but if I subscribed only for those matches as I imagine some people do, this is obviously false and misleading advertising.

I already sent an online complaint to UBC about this tonight and will follow-up in a phone call tomorrow to see what their explanation is. I wouldn't even mind if they showed a quick message on the TV screen saying they had technical problems, but I somehow doubt they have technical problems. Perhaps they advertised, but didn't purchase, the rights for the top matches. It's like if they were advertising Chelsea vs. Liverpool and then show Portsmouth vs. Derby. No offense to supporters of either of those clubs, but you get my point.

I think I will go to the black market tomorrow and get a UBC decoder box, then cancel my service with them. :o

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, if you're wondering why I watch Spanish League football. I practically grew up in Spain and spent more time there than ever in any other country. I realize most people on this forum are watching Premiership and not so much Spanish and Italian leagues...

i agree 100% its like yesterday they said that the derby birmingham match was on one of the sports channels and i found it on channel 29 only by accident and also for the money they are charging me. i find the service is very poor,,

i used to think uk tv was bad for running repeats but UBC win hands down and to charge me for the top package then expect me to pay more money for extra channels is rubbish

i agree 100% its like yesterday they said that the derby birmingham match was on one of the sports channels and i found it on channel 29 only by accident and also for the money they are charging me. i find the service is very poor,,

i used to think uk tv was bad for running repeats but UBC win hands down and to charge me for the top package then expect me to pay more money for extra channels is rubbish

your lucky last night rain in cnx so 20 minutes arsenal game lost then it just showed a blue screen for the last 15 min everton game

I am starting to get extremely upset with UBC. First they started messing with the English Premiership football channels (as can be read through these forums from a few weeks ago), now it seems they're onto the Spanish League broadcasts. Last night, they were supposed to show the league opener Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid at 1am. 1am came and went and they showed absolutely nothing.

Without getting into your other complaints you can't really lay the blame for the missing Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid match on UBC/True. Because of internal Spanish disagreements between the clubs and the television networks the match wasn't shown anywhere outside of Spain.

We were supposed to get it here in Denmark as well, but the broadcast was canceled at the last moment.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Yeah, looks like that's the problem. Same thing with the Barcelona game:

From: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...c2437431bc0fac3

MADRID -- Only days before Spain's professional soccer league is due to kick off, sports rights broker Audiovisual Sport has announced it is suing Mediapro -- holder of the lion's share of rights -- for alleged nonpayment of €58 million ($78.3 million).

The figure, revealed Tuesday by Audiovisual Sport, corresponds to a portion of the free-to-air rights for the season set to begin Saturday as well as following seasons, which Mediapro bought and sold to its free-to-air channel La Sexta.

Audiovisual Sport additionally asserted that rights to Saturday's match are now available due the unfulfilled clauses of the contract. Mediapro countered immediately, saying that La Sexta will air the game between Seville and Getafe as planned.

Audiovisual Sport is controlled by rival broadcaster Sogecable, which has held the rights until now and aired nearly all the games on its pay platform, Digital Plus.

Mediapro -- which owns rights to 39 of the league's 42 soccer teams -- fired back, calling the legal action a "pantomime" and claiming that Sogecable owes it $43.2 million.

It is highly unlikely that the feud will deprive Spaniards of watching the league's matches, given their extremely popular standing. The two sides are expected to be forced to reach some agreement.

As it stands now, Mediapro's free-to-air channel La Sexta airs a Saturday night match, while Sogecable's pay platform, Digital Plus, offers the remainder of the matches during the week.

Sogecable's free-to-air channel, Cuatro, is barred from competing for the Saturday night match by antitrust laws.

Looks like it'll be resolved sometime next week. I don't think they can drag this out for too long.

I am an American and could give a rat;s a** about socc....errrr, football, but almost kinda like it as I like the idea that some former whatever' team has done well, lol

What pisses me off is when my TV goes off because of too many clouds! How stupid is that?????

UBC is a monopoly, we should have a choice

By the way, Baseball is 90% N.Y. Yankees, why? Cheaper feed from their cable company

Anyways, Man City's goalie is the MAN

I am starting to get extremely upset with UBC.

Me too. The Simpsons were supposed to be on Star World at 2 am and they were showing Ghost Whisperer. :o

Prefer to look at love hewitt than homer...

Yeah, looks like that's the problem. Same thing with the Barcelona game:

From: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...c2437431bc0fac3

MADRID -- Only days before Spain's professional soccer league is due to kick off, sports rights broker Audiovisual Sport has announced it is suing Mediapro -- holder of the lion's share of rights -- for alleged nonpayment of €58 million ($78.3 million).

The figure, revealed Tuesday by Audiovisual Sport, corresponds to a portion of the free-to-air rights for the season set to begin Saturday as well as following seasons, which Mediapro bought and sold to its free-to-air channel La Sexta.

Audiovisual Sport additionally asserted that rights to Saturday's match are now available due the unfulfilled clauses of the contract. Mediapro countered immediately, saying that La Sexta will air the game between Seville and Getafe as planned.

Audiovisual Sport is controlled by rival broadcaster Sogecable, which has held the rights until now and aired nearly all the games on its pay platform, Digital Plus.

Mediapro -- which owns rights to 39 of the league's 42 soccer teams -- fired back, calling the legal action a "pantomime" and claiming that Sogecable owes it $43.2 million.

It is highly unlikely that the feud will deprive Spaniards of watching the league's matches, given their extremely popular standing. The two sides are expected to be forced to reach some agreement.

As it stands now, Mediapro's free-to-air channel La Sexta airs a Saturday night match, while Sogecable's pay platform, Digital Plus, offers the remainder of the matches during the week.

Sogecable's free-to-air channel, Cuatro, is barred from competing for the Saturday night match by antitrust laws.

Looks like it'll be resolved sometime next week. I don't think they can drag this out for too long.

okay so there was a problem in spain,then put out a message on the screeen to let people know whats going on ,leaving everyone in the dark be farang or thai just makes everyone angry ................

Well, some funny news. After I found out last night that they had the broadcasting rights problem, I had already sent my complaint online to UBC, right? In the form, you can specify what time you would like them to contact you. I selected 1pm-6pm, because I don't go to sleep until 4-5am, I don't wake up before around 11am. Well this morning, at exactly 8:05am, my phone rings. Guess what number? UBC! And they didn't call me to tell me about the broadcasting problem, they called me to tell me that they are working on finding the problem (huh?!) and then they will call me back.

So to add to the above:

1. They don't call during the times you specify, why do you even need to specify it?

2. They know less about their broadcasting rights and problems with them than their customers.

I'm thinking about picking up a copy of "Customer Service for Dummies" for them. :o

In the form, you can specify what time you would like them to contact you. I selected 1pm-6pm, because I don't go to sleep until 4-5am, I don't wake up before around 11am. Well this morning, at exactly 8:05am, my phone rings.

I was luckier - they rang me at 11am, although it was on a Sunday!! :D Must've been 3 weeks ago. A woman rang to tell me that the "ubcschedule.zip" file had now been updated on their website to contain the August schedules, which I'd complained to them about both via their website and by email. (I too had specified an afternoon time for calling me).

But when I downloaded the file, I found that it hadn't been updated as she'd said :D , so that was a waste of a phone call and showed even more incompetence. :D

I sent them another email a few days later and got one back on the 10th informing me that the file had been updated - and it had, on the 10th.

I think they've been having major scheduling problems this month. Let's hope it's better next month. :o

I have had nothing but trouble with them.I only signed up with them 3 months ago & i went for the gold package.Then they changed the EPL packages & said they was only showing certain matches on the platingum package.So i tryed to upgrade from G-p .All i have had of them is total crap .Visit one to the office i was told that i had to bring the last bill.Visit 2,iwastold i also need my passport.Visit three iwastold i need my house book.Visit 4 iwas told ineed my GF id no.Visit 5 i was told i need her passport & here is the one .If she don,t have passport give me 100 baht & you don't need it.Extortion,Obviousley there was no more visits so then i phoned.Once i got through i got all the same crap plus i got questioned why do i want plat when i already get EPL on gold.It is unbeleaveable that you phone a company to buy a product & all they do is try to get you to not buy it.I will just add that they had all the id that they needed just 1 month before when i was a new customer.I have given up on it now & as soon as i can get a reliable service from another company that shows EPL i will change.Also the 2 mags that i have received have arrived on the 14th of the month that they are showing proaming for .Just <deleted>

Visit one to the office i was told that i had to bring the last bill.Visit 2,iwastold i also need my passport.Visit three iwastold i need my house book.Visit 4 iwas told ineed my GF id no.

You need nothing but your passport to apply, but you probably need a work permit to upgrade or even cancel it :o

I don't think they have any licensing problems with the Bundesliga. I noticed one game Wolfsburg vs. Schalke 2 nights ago...so I think they're still showing some games!

Hello rainman,

can you tell me what channel, as i cant find it anywhere in the ubc magazine and next week is my game of the year. Hamburg-Munich, would hate to miss that

regards

Timo

By the way, if you're wondering why I watch Spanish League football. I practically grew up in Spain and spent more time there than ever in any other country. I realize most people on this forum are watching Premiership and not so much Spanish and Italian leagues...

Rainman, as I noted in the football forum, there were problems from Spain this week. So your accusations of false advertising are wrong. It had nothing to do with UBC. I also was supposed to watch the Real Madrid match and Barcelona match in the U.S., but the channel informed viewers that at least for the Barcelona match, there were problems in Spain and nobody worldwide as able to see it broadcast. There were also problems with the Real Madrid match for some reason, so they weren't able to show that. I didn't read the whole original post of this topic but if these were the two problems, than it wasn't UBC's fault, it was something to do with something going on in Spain. I don't know what the problem was, but sometimes there's nothing you can do when the feed isn't being sent out overseas. That's life, man.

Edit: Sorry, I see you already know that it had nothing to do with UBC now. So, no false advertising.

However, gripes about customer service are well founded. They could have had somebody on the ball explaining why the match was not being shown with words scrolling on the bottom of the screen but they did not, right? Hate to say it, but you can't necessarily expect the best customer service anywhere in the world these days. It's hit and miss in any country in my opinion. Also, I'd rather watch football in Thailand than any other country. I wish True hadn't bought the rights but at least you can see almost all the games of your favorite team if you want. That's hard to do in any other country. In England I hear they have far less coverage of the Premiership than in Thailand. Unless you want to pay expensive pay-per-view.

Edited by Jimjim

I have given up on it now & as soon as i can get a reliable service from another company that shows EPL i will change.

Don't hold your breath. I understand that they have sole rights to EPL in Thailand and are enforcing it. All EPL football has been removed from the 2 local cable companies in this part of KK. Last weekend they were showing Bundesliga on cable.

After subscribing to UBC for 4 years, I finally had enough a couple of months ago and stopped paying for their constantly disappointing service. Much as I enjoyed the footie, I'd rather watch a DVD or read a book than support a company that treats it's customers the way that UBC does.

Disgruntled of Chum Phae.

I have given up on it now & as soon as i can get a reliable service from another company that shows EPL i will change.

Don't hold your breath. I understand that they have sole rights to EPL in Thailand and are enforcing it. All EPL football has been removed from the 2 local cable companies in this part of KK. Last weekend they were showing Bundesliga on cable.

After subscribing to UBC for 4 years, I finally had enough a couple of months ago and stopped paying for their constantly disappointing service. Much as I enjoyed the footie, I'd rather watch a DVD or read a book than support a company that treats it's customers the way that UBC does.

Disgruntled of Chum Phae.

The local cable company I use in Phuket claim to be in negotiations with UBC regarding possible broadcasting of the EPL. Answer expected sometime next month.

I'm not holding my breath as UBC have bought the rights to try to get more customers to subscribe and that's not going to happen if they then re-sell the rights to the cable companies.

The other possibility is that they charge an extortionate fee to the cable companies which they in turn will pass on to their customers but I would have thought any fee would be out of the price range most, if not all the cable companies.

We have been seeing Bundesliga and Coca Cola Championship games on the cable here

Gone off topic a bit here but all in all in all I don't personally expect any changes to the UBC monopoly. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, I got an email from them today!

Dear Mr.:

We are terribly sorry for late reply and for any inconvenience caused.

Please be informed that the plan was to be shown according to the schedule we notified you. But unfortunately, the license agreement of these games were not mutually agreed with any of cable operators in this world. As a result, nobody got a license to live these games. This is why we were not able to show them but replace another game instead.

However, we are on the negotiation process at the present time, hopefully, it would be finished soon.

We will be very appreciated your patience.

Should you have any further enquiry, do not hesitate to contact us at 02-7252525 or [email protected]

We are so grateful for your trust in our service and support us all time.

Hello all,

i am very disappointed as well. They show no German football anymore at ALL. Does anybody know why that is. I called UBC and nobody could give me a reason.

regards

Timo

Is that right? I read a letter from someone at UBC or True that they do show German football and have an extensive highlights show during the week.

They are showing one Budesliga match every Sunday at 10pm on Channel 63 or 64 and have done since the start of the season!

Unfortunately they forgot to tell everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are also showing a preview on Thursdays at 9pm and highlights on Wednesdays at 9pm, all on Channel 63.

For some reason they are not showing the Friday night matches this season.

They are showing one Budesliga match every Sunday at 10pm on Channel 63 or 64 and have done since the start of the season!

Unfortunately they forgot to tell everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are also showing a preview on Thursdays at 9pm and highlights on Wednesdays at 9pm, all on Channel 63.

For some reason they are not showing the Friday night matches this season.

I am sorry, it is only me, or does the ubc magazine not show that they do show german football, cant find it anywhere nor does anybody at ubc know. as previous mentioned, i am desperate to watch hamburg-Bayern on sunday, actually that would be at 10 pm, where is it, please, please.

regards

Timo yes i am a hamburger :o

I quit UBC about 4 months ago. Found it was easier to just not pay the bill than to quit. Sure enough they turned us off quickly and wanted to be paid. But seeing we had a deposit with them that wasn't going to happen. They turned us off, came got the boxes, and the dish, then sent a nasty letter saying they were going to see us in court if we didn't pay the 500 baht over the deposit that we owed them. Of course I paid and we are done with it. I am off the UBC grid and I couldn't be happier. Repeats, repeats, and more repeats of shows I like ,but seasons that are extremely dated. Limited sports that I am into. The only reason I kept it as long as I did is that my wife and I could watch it together because some of the shows had sub-titles.