Privacy From Unwanted Gps Phone Locators?

mobilpro

Since almost all mobile phones use GPS lately, is there any way to block or turn off this feature, if I want to protect my privacy during my phone call? (not wanting to show my exact location of my private home to anyone)

If I use a third party out of state long distance calling service will this also transmit to the recipient the GPS locator? Or will it just show the connected/access number, which is located a different state?

Finally, what about calling someone with Skype, will it also show my location on the receiving phone's GPS locator?

Since almost all mobile phones use GPS lately, is there any way to block or turn off this feature, if I want to protect my privacy during my phone call? (not wanting to show my exact location of my private home to anyone)

If I use a third party out of state long distance calling service will this also transmit to the recipient the GPS locator? Or will it just show the connected/access number, which is located a different state?

Finally, what about calling someone with Skype, will it also show my location on the receiving phone's GPS locator?

All your facts is wrong. Most mobiles does NOT come with GPS. Get yourself an unregistered prepaid cash card, and you are safe.

Most phones these days come with GPRS not GPS. GPRS stands for genral packet radio system which compresses and transmits data allowing you to accss the internet via your mobile. Saying that because your mobile has to communicate with base stations these can be used by the company and increasingly the police to locate your position at a certain time. The only third party software to track phones at present using this method requires the owner of the phone to give permission for this to be done. A tad paranoid I think, stop worrying :o

GPS isn't necessary for a network operator to track your location. They simply triangulate your position based on relative signal strengths to multiple cell sites. This technology is built into all mobile phone networks for emergency response services. It has always been there since the mobile phone was first invented in the 1980's.

If you don't want people to track you, don't use a mobile phone. If you see a signal on your mobile phone, your location will be known. You don't even have to make a call, and they don't need GPS.

If you use Skype, your IP address will be known, which yes, can be traced back to your physical location. If you are concerned about security, Skype is a very bad way to go. Skype is a peer to peer service, and they keep very close tabs on your logical location so that they can route other calls/services through your bandwidth if an opportunity arises. This is a necessary result of the symmetric NAT issues inherent in the service.

Only way to remain anonymous is to use payphones. Real satellite phones are also fairly anonymous as long as you only turn it on when you need to make a call, but you'll pay several US dollars per minute to use it.

:o Thanks Everyone!

Actually, yes. I know it sounded a little bit paranoid, however my colleague just provided it with his Palm Treo 750, ( ATT wireless service) with which he was able to pinpoint my exact location using Google maps, down to the exact building where I was, when I had called using my Motorola Razr (t-mobile wireless service). As he stated that recently purchased phones do have GPS transmitters built into them.

And as I have read, it’s legally mandated that "Enhanced 911 service is to allow a wireless or mobile telephone to be located geographically using some form of radiolocation from the cellular network, or by using a Global Positioning System built into the phone itself". So the remaining question is, who is allowed/able to use all this personal information?

Edited by mobilpro