Thai Language

MisterFingers

In the airport on my way back home last time a few weeks ago, I saw a Thai language book with two attached CDs and figured, "What the hel_l."

Now I'm taking a keen interest in studying Thai and want to learn as much of the language in as little time as possible.

This book will be an excellent start, as I can learn to read and write, and the Cd's have two hours of direct English-Thai translation of many simple words and phrases.

So this is a question to those who know the language to an advanced level.

What should I do after having mastered this book? How did you learn Thai?

In the airport on my way back home last time a few weeks ago, I saw a Thai language book with two attached CDs and figured, "What the hel_l."

Now I'm taking a keen interest in studying Thai and want to learn as much of the language in as little time as possible.

This book will be an excellent start, as I can learn to read and write, and the Cd's have two hours of direct English-Thai translation of many simple words and phrases.

Well, I never learnt Thai from book or any other source. I think books would probably spoil your language abilities, as you would read it in Roman-Thai, which would ruin your pronunciation.

I learnt everything on the roads (NO BGs at all). I noticed, most of the farangs who learn Thai through books of "long-haired dark Isaan books" cant really speak Thai very well. If you listen to a Bangkok fella speaking Thai, you would find a huge difference between BKK fella and Isaan Fella. :o

Went to 5 months of intensive Thai language study at Union Language School in Bangkok 8 years ago. Various other part-time study as well. I came home from school with a headache many days, but it was well worth the effort and has paid off handsomely.

Forget about it, give up. I tried, but it was too damned hard. For example, "Kao" can mean white, rice, he, and also a couple of other words depending on how you pronounce it. If you are REALLY want to learn it, you will. But it will require a lot of effort, time, and persistence.

Well, I never learnt Thai from book or any other source. I think books would probably spoil your language abilities, as you would read it in Roman-Thai, which would ruin your pronunciation.

I learnt everything on the roads (NO BGs at all). I noticed, most of the farangs who learn Thai through books of "long-haired dark Isaan books" cant really speak Thai very well. If you listen to a Bangkok fella speaking Thai, you would find a huge difference between BKK fella and Isaan Fella. :o

The good news is there are plenty of books available in Thai and once you begin to learn to read the language a whole new world will be open to you. I have found books to be an excellent way of increasing my vocabulary and in my opinion the ability to read Thai makes the whole learning process a lot easier. A few people do progress in Thai without resorting to 'book learning' apparently but I have never personally met one of these 'soak it up from the atmosphere' people . I know that some folk are suspicious of 'book-readers' but there really not all that bad. :D

Edited by garro

I started may times to learn Thai by books, some after work courses, but as many times as I started I stopped again.

It is a pain to learn a tonal language, although I wish that my Thai would be much better.

Forget about it, give up. I tried, but it was too damned hard. For example, "Kao" can mean white, rice, he, and also a couple of other words depending on how you pronounce it. If you are REALLY want to learn it, you will. But it will require a lot of effort, time, and persistence.

Not too hard if you really want to learn 100%. If you go in with a 'half hearted attitude' then yes you will find it difficult...the long haired dictionaries are the best source & no, not all are BG's

How you learn is up to you - anyone saying one way is no good is probably talking out of there arse.

my Thai is not good at all but,I find learning to read and write it incredibly useful....consider what it would be like to be illiterate in your own language.

If you understand the cultural back ground and the tones it will help a lot too.

You would probably be better off asking this question in the Thai Language forum.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=43

My method was Language School in Pattaya, books (read on plane in spare time etc...), tapes, talking to people, reading Thai script at every opportunity (ie: even reading shop signs in traffic jams - something to do), sending emails in Thai Script.

A bit of 'everything' really.

I still don't consider myself fluent, but my Thai wife, who speaks no English (a few words - she knows the word for money and need new shoes/dress etc...) understands me perfectly - so that is good enough I guess.

Good luck with it.

Does anyone have any experience with AUA language school in Pattaya? I'm somewhat familar with main school in Bangkok. Are there better alternatives here in Pattaya?

I studied 6 weeks at AUA with 9 other fellows, it was a great learn. Sure we all learn at varying speeds so there were times when 1 student would hold up the others but otherwise, it was a great way to learn by bouncing questions off each other. I was more keen to learn vocabulary & sentence structure over reading/writing/tones. The other terrific benefit is that your teacher is sure to be speaking the politest and most correct form of Thai. Pay attention to how many times the teachers ends their sentences with Kha or Krap which is the polite way to speak Thai. I now overcompensate and say Krap to end just about every sentence that comes from my mouth. It's polite and the Thais know that I've received a proper education ie: wasn't taught Thai on Walking Street.

It has paid off in a big way since I haven't paid a bar fine in over a year and rely on my skills to shmooze the regular Thais who have recently moved here to find work in hotels, banks, hospitals, restaurants, etc.

They don't speak any English most of the time but are eager to learn! It's also nice that they haven't been potentially spoiled (yet) by other farangs.

Edited by piker

Does anyone have any experience with AUA language school in Pattaya? I'm somewhat familar with main school in Bangkok. Are there better alternatives here in Pattaya?

I studied 6 weeks at AUA with 9 other fellows, it was a great learn. Sure we all learn at varying speeds so there were times when 1 student would hold up the others but otherwise, it was a great way to learn by bouncing questions off each other. I was more keen to learn vocabulary & sentence structure over reading/writing/tones. The other terrific benefit is that your teacher is sure to be speaking the politest and most correct form of Thai. Pay attention to how many times the teachers ends their sentences with Kha or Krap which is the polite way to speak Thai. I now overcompensate and say Krap to end just about every sentence that comes from my mouth. It's polite and the Thais know that I've received a proper education ie: wasn't taught Thai on Walking Street.

It has paid off in a big way since I haven't paid a bar fine in over a year and rely on my skills to shmooze the regular Thais who have recently moved here to find work in hotels, banks, hospitals, restaurants, etc.

They don't speak any English most of the time but are eager to learn! It's also nice that they haven't been potentially spoiled (yet) by other farangs.

Thanks for your reply. I have a Thai friend and was considering AUA language school to learn English. I'm exploring options.

I call AUA Language center yesterday an was informed that they have:

Thai 1 class starting 17 sep 2007.

Class Fee: 4340 thb

Group on 5-6 per.

Time (40 houre on 5 weeks) 2 houre a day - 4 time a week 8.30-10.30

Homework: Yes

I think about go and ask to see on lession before i sign op to the group starting here the 17 sep.

AUA Language center

2end road 1st. floor

Pattaya bazaar building (oppasit Best supermarked near delfin roundabauat)

Tle Nr. 038 414 634 5

Hi

Where are you planning on learning?

In your home country or Thailand?

I am currently studying in the UK quite successfully & would be happy to help if i can...

Yes, I was asking for specific advice, for example, specific books or material.

Right now, my career keeps me in my home country of Canada for all but 6 or 7 weeks a year.

So studying in Thailand is pretty much out of the question.

How are you doing it?

I'll be in Pattaya in November to buy material, whatever would take me up to the next level, then the next.

I'm pretty determined right now and I don't think this is going to change until I've mastered the language.

Any advice is appreiated, thanks.

Hi

Where are you planning on learning?

In your home country or Thailand?

I am currently studying in the UK quite successfully & would be happy to help if i can...

Yes, I was asking for specific advice, for example, specific books or material.

Right now, my career keeps me in my home country of Canada for all but 6 or 7 weeks a year.

So studying in Thailand is pretty much out of the question.

How are you doing it?

I'll be in Pattaya in November to buy material, whatever would take me up to the next level, then the next.

I'm pretty determined right now and I don't think this is going to change until I've mastered the language.

Any advice is appreiated, thanks.

1. Get youself a book and tape/cd called 'Teach Yourself Thai', by David Smyth ISBN-0-340-59041-6.

2. Thai 'Reference Grammar' Higbie/Thinsan ISBN-974-8304-96-5

3. Dictionary - English-Thai Longmans Basic ISBN 974-92005-0-0

4. Electronic Dictionary - Cyberdict/E-Dict

5. Alphabet Wallchart

Learn the alphabet, practise writing - you can do this on planes etc... without upsetting other passengers, if you dont do it out aloud :o

Just be weary of sounding like a little girl. Most farangs who learn their Thai from a girlfriend end up sounding more than slightly feminine. There is a big difference in the way in which a Thai man and Thai woman speaks.

Definitely a proper language course is the best option.