What Is It With Thai Optical Shops

JonnieB

Okay, another question about strange and unusual things about LOS. Why is it that just about every girl who works in any optical shop in Thailand is so pretty? Now, I am not complaining about this as I have the good fortune to have lousy eyes that are now both near and far sighted. Therefore, I need glasses for reading and for driving, necessitating the occasional trip to the optical shop. I also happen to wear daily contacts too so have another reason to visit on monthly.

It seems to me that most of the ladies working in these shops are inordinately attractive compared to all the other shop girls in other types of shops. Has anyone else noted this observation? Why is this...because they must be uni-educated to get these jobs so know how to make themselves up better?

In addition, why are there so many optical shops anyway. They seem to be almost as common as 7-11's!!! And in my general observation, Thai's seem to have pretty good vision on average. Very few wear glasses...this is either because they truly don't need them or they have never been tested and in fact are half-blind and heaven help us others when they are on the road :D But seriously, as a race, Thais seem not to have need for glasses generally...so how do all the shops survive. There are only so many bad-sighted farang expatriates and tourists to go around :o

I noticed that too a while back.

One time myself an two pals were walking past Top Charoen not far from the Ambassador Hotel on Sukhumvit in Bangkok. They were having some kind of promotion with girls trying to lure one in.

One girl said to us, "Hello sir, welcome inside sir" and we just giggled and I said, "Do you think she has previous?"

As for Uni graduates - they may be but I doubt its in optometry for the majority :o

Okay, another question about strange and unusual things about LOS. Why is it that just about every girl who works in any optical shop in Thailand is so pretty? Now, I am not complaining about this as I have the good fortune to have lousy eyes that are now both near and far sighted. Therefore, I need glasses for reading and for driving, necessitating the occasional trip to the optical shop. I also happen to wear daily contacts too so have another reason to visit on monthly.

It seems to me that most of the ladies working in these shops are inordinately attractive compared to all the other shop girls in other types of shops. Has anyone else noted this observation? Why is this...because they must be uni-educated to get these jobs so know how to make themselves up better?

In addition, why are there so many optical shops anyway. They seem to be almost as common as 7-11's!!! And in my general observation, Thai's seem to have pretty good vision on average. Very few wear glasses...this is either because they truly don't need them or they have never been tested and in fact are half-blind and heaven help us others when they are on the road :D But seriously, as a race, Thais seem not to have need for glasses generally...so how do all the shops survive. There are only so many bad-sighted farang expatriates and tourists to go around :o

in samui its the same almost as many shops as tailors ,and the girls are stunners.........

I agree, Thai optical shop girls are very pretty, and don't wear glasses. Come to think of it, it's the same on the street. Comparing this to Hong Kong and China, where I've lived and spent a lot of time; there it seems like all the girls have glasses AND crooked teeth. Again, Thai girls mostly have nice straight teeth.

Must be some of the reason all the foreign guys are here...

I agree, Thai optical shop girls are very pretty, and don't wear glasses. Come to think of it, it's the same on the street. Comparing this to Hong Kong and China, where I've lived and spent a lot of time; there it seems like all the girls have glasses AND crooked teeth. Again, Thai girls mostly have nice straight teeth.

Must be some of the reason all the foreign guys are here...

The Straits Times often mentions that Singapore has the highest incidence/prevelance of myopia in the world (oh there is a joke in there :o ) but most of the girls do have straight teeth :D

The same can be said of mobile phone shops. The employers wouldn't take on a girl who is thoroughly competent if she is ugly or has a black face. It's a sort of racism or apartheid and I find it very sad indeed. Many Isaan-faced girls are excluded from so many of these careers.

In my bank in Sukhumvit, there's a desk at which a pretty, white-skinned girl sits doing nothing except looking pretty. She's totally incompetent. Though it's in an expat sort of place, none of the nice-looking white skinned girls there can utter a word of English except, "Siddow pree'.

To some extent it's the same in the mini-marts and in retail, especially places like Central.

Okay, so I go in to have my eyes tested every few weeks. As I walk in, they all rush towards me as if I'm the first customer they've ever had. But even as we gaze into each others' eyes, I think sadly of the huge numbers of ordinary or dark skinned girls who are hugely discriminated against here.

In Thailand a woman's face is her fortune and until the low status of women improves, nothing much is going to change.

The same can be said of mobile phone shops. The employers wouldn't take on a girl who is thoroughly competent if she is ugly or has a black face. It's a sort of racism or apartheid and I find it very sad indeed. Many Isaan-faced girls are excluded from so many of these careers.

In my bank in Sukhumvit, there's a desk at which a pretty, white-skinned girl sits doing nothing except looking pretty. She's totally incompetent. Though it's in an expat sort of place, none of the nice-looking white skinned girls there can utter a word of English except, "Siddow pree'.

To some extent it's the same in the mini-marts and in retail, especially places like Central.

Okay, so I go in to have my eyes tested every few weeks. As I walk in, they all rush towards me as if I'm the first customer they've ever had. But even as we gaze into each others' eyes, I think sadly of the huge numbers of ordinary or dark skinned girls who are hugely discriminated against here.

In Thailand a woman's face is her fortune and until the low status of women improves, nothing much is going to change.

Food for thought there - I was just saying to pals at the weekend that our office in Bangkok has a lot of stunners - not all but a high %.

The ones I deal with all have degree's from the "Name" Thai Uni's and we have only just recently taken the first one who does not also have a degree from an American, British and sometimes an Aus Uni as well - she did spend many summers in the USA though.

Now I am pretty sure these girls are not taken on for their looks only - they are among the best in the whole region at what they do and are also up there worldwide for their role and have won company awards which are not given out lightly.

Attractive, well presented people /on average/ are probably better at sales. The Thai beauty ideal stipulates that white skin is the major factor in if somebody is beautiful or not.

People are shallow. Not being able to conform to the beauty ideal is a bastard, for sure. Except for the skin whitening cream companies.

No need for beer goggles in the opticians here. There are many shops all with at least half a dozen very attractive female assistants in each and all trying to flog exactly the same very expensive designer frames etc. They can't sell too many 15k pairs of Gucci sunglasses a day here so I suppose they must sit around perfecting their make up techniques.

Oh, and why do they always have the aircon cranked up so high?

I have a deep mistrust for any business that employs loads of dolled up chicks of any color for no other reason than to welcome customers. No matter if it's an optician or any other kind of business.

EDIT: Except bars and karaokes, obviously, I don't mistrust those.

Edited by Sanpatong

I usually give the large chain stores like Top Charoen a miss. Their sales girls only want to flog the most expensive frames, and pretty or not; I don't like being "led" by sales people.

Its the same everywhere though - I go to a local one in Singapore and they still sold me a 800 SGD pair of frames plus 700 SGD lenses.

Company pays so its not a problem but I do know colleagues here who would never pay over 100 SGD for frames and lenses.

I usually give the large chain stores like Top Charoen a miss. Their sales girls only want to flog the most expensive frames, and pretty or not; I don't like being "led" by sales people.

Its the same everywhere though - I go to a local one in Singapore and they still sold me a 800 SGD pair of frames plus 700 SGD lenses.

Company pays so its not a problem but I do know colleagues here who would never pay over 100 SGD for frames and lenses.

I've found the best service and sales people in those stores that sell watches and jewelry as well as specs. :o Of course I'm typing this on a braille keyboard... :D

I've found the best service and sales people in those stores that sell watches and jewelry as well as specs. :D Of course I'm typing this on a braille keyboard... :D

I actually saw some very nice frames in the Raffles Hospital newsagent / sell everything shop - too late now. :D

I did ask the obnoxious little git pushing the expensive frames on me why he was not showing me the ones all the Singaporeans were buying but he came up with such and excuse I laughed - something about head and nose shape when he was really thinking, "Ang mo has company insurance" :o

Koreans must have the worst eye sight in the world, in my high school i'd say 50% wear glasses, 20% contact lenses and 30% simply cant see the board....No joke.. not surprisingly glasses + contacts are very cheap here.

As for pretty girls, same thing at the dentist I used in Bangkok.... had to go 8 times in total. All the reception staff were stunning... and far too many employed for them all to have something meaningful today apart from smile and look pretty! (all excellent English and University educated I discovered!!) Easily the best and friendliets dentist i have ever been to by the way!

I think a lot of Thai people actually need glasses, but don't wear them. One of my secretaries arrived at work wearing specs one day, and after one less than complimentary comment from another staff member, removed them and never bothered again. :o

Yup, I'm one of them (well, OK, I might go as high as 300 Sing for a really nice pair) ... "kheeneow"? Me? You bet ...

CC :o

Edit: not sure if glasses are any cheaper in Sing than in Thai - does the lower import duty offset higher staff costs and (probably) shop rent? Certainly more folks wearing them here (even if they do have straight teeth).

I remember comparing notes with a HK lady a couple of years ago, and she was adamant that spectacles were much cheaper up there than the prices I paid for the (designer) frames I'd bought in BKK (Better Vision, Emporium, as I recall - who did do a good job of testing my eyes and fitting said frames)

Edited by Captain Chaos

I think a lot of Thai people actually need glasses, but don't wear them. One of my secretaries arrived at work wearing specs one day, and after one less than complimentary comment from another staff member, removed them and never bothered again. :o

I suspect exactly that too - a lot need them but will not wear them.

Okay, another question about strange and unusual things about LOS. Why is it that just about every girl who works in any optical shop in Thailand is so pretty?

Also have pretty girls at fruit fairs and vegetable parades :D , if you haven't noticed.

Do my opticasl at TC myself and been to several outlets around the country, totally customer-oriented.

:o

I think a lot of Thai people actually need glasses, but don't wear them. One of my secretaries arrived at work wearing specs one day, and after one less than complimentary comment from another staff member, removed them and never bothered again. :D

Lots of Thai girls are self-conscious about wearing spectacles

:o Wiley Coyote