Obscene Gestures

Dr. Burrito

I was driving into work this morning and on a small back soi, a farang was, I guess, being kept from turning right into another little soi by a Thai person in their car wanting out.

The farang goes over to the car motioning for them to back up, etc, but they apparently wouldn't yield.

I've no idea who was in the right here, but the farang was clearly as angry as he could be, so as we walked back to his car, he stops in the middle of the street and flashes the old middle finger in a very embellished fashion.

Nothing happened as a result and he got in his car and let traffic clear.

But as I know very little of specific gestures in Thailand, it did make me curious if it was considered that offensive or not. he thought he was telling them off, clearly. Did they take it as dramatically as him you reckon? If so, they weren't inclined to make a scene about it.

Do Thai's have a different set of gestures to make the same point or the same? Was he possibly risking a serious reaction by his gesture?

Just curious, as other than seeing Thai's blow up and chase people with cleavers or kettles, far more serious gestures than a finger, I've never seen any particular '<deleted> you' gesture.

Dr. B

Edited by Dr. Burrito

Just curious, as other than seeing Thai's blow up and chase people with cleavers or kettles, far more serious gestures than a finger, I've never seen any particular '<deleted> you' gesture.

Dr. B

According to the missus, in Isaan there are no insulting gestures used. Verbal insults, such as calling someone a buffalo accompanied by agressive arm waving and finger pointing, seem to be the rule.

Yes, there is specifically an equivalent to "flipping the bird" in Thailand, and that is to flip the bottom of one's shoes to another. You can use extreme cases, where you take off flip flops and flash the bottoms to another driver. Also, middle finger is used and understood.

According to the missus, in Isaan there are no insulting gestures used. Verbal insults, such as calling someone a buffalo accompanied by agressive arm waving and finger pointing, seem to be the rule.

I'd go along with that, never really noticed it before but arm waving is about the only insulting gesture you will see here.

I'd go along with that, never really noticed it before but arm waving is about the only insulting gesture you will see here.

Be careful. Flipping the middle digit might be interpreted as saying "Thaksin is Number One." :o

Be careful. Flipping the middle digit might be interpreted as saying "Thaksin is Number One." :o

the clenched fist (mock masturbation) shake seems to pass them by,the middle finger get them wound up . :D

Just a few days ago, I witnessed a Pattaya baht bus driver slow down, open his passenger side window, and raise his middle finger to a Thai man that he clearly knew on the road. It was done in a very aggressive way and I expected fireworks to result, but nothing did.

I think those that use the middle finger are clearly getting it from farangs and movies. It's not a Thai gesture, but because of globalization and spreading of cultures, some of them understand it.

Yes, that's right. The first inclination is to flash the bottom of the foot or shoe.

I think those that use the middle finger are clearly getting it from farangs and movies. It's not a Thai gesture, but because of globalization and spreading of cultures, some of them understand it.

Yes, that's right. The first inclination is to flash the bottom of the foot or shoe.

However, I don't think the middle finger is as big a deal as flashing the bottom of your foot or shoe. That seems to be often a big invitation to fight. It usually means you're quite angry. Seriously angry. I saw an old Thai lady throwing her shoe at another person before, and she was quite livid. Looked like she had been ready to be angry for some time.

However, I don't think the middle finger is as big a deal as flashing the bottom of your foot or shoe. That seems to be often a big invitation to fight. It usually means you're quite angry. Seriously angry. I saw an old Thai lady throwing her shoe at another person before, and she was quite livid. Looked like she had been ready to be angry for some time.

Absolutely true. I mentioned before on here, my normally reserved wife only lost it once, on the highway some idiot in a big truck almost killed us. As we pulled up to overtake him, she asked me for both my flip flops. She then took both of hers, and held two each in both hands up to the window as we passed by. The equivalent of double fisted bird flipping in Thailand.

The raised sole certainly seems to be the big one here. I've seen Thai bikers doing it to oncoming vehicles that force them over to the side of the road. I'm not sure it's a good idea to stir up a maniac behind the wheel of a bus who's bearing down on you!

The raised sole certainly seems to be the big one here. I've seen Thai bikers doing it to oncoming vehicles that force them over to the side of the road. I'm not sure it's a good idea to stir up a maniac behind the wheel of a bus who's bearing down on you!

Yes, I agree completely, and Farangs SHOULD NEVER do this. You have no idea what context you are conveying, and in Thais eyes maybe don't have the right to escalate it. You may be gang banged for this.

"Might is right" seems to be the law of the road, and your right of way depends on how large / new / expensive your vehicle is. :o

Flipping the bird or flipping flip-flops *sorry* at some lunatic that you can't out-run might not be a good idea in this respect.

You can always learn more about Thailand on ThaiVisa. I had no idea about flipping shoes. That's one more no-no to add to my list. I have seen younger Thais using the middle finger in a gesture that meant what it usually did. I saw another gesture recently that's a bit puzzling, but I got the drift of indecent behavior being suggested.

You may be gang banged for this.

Are you American? :D "Gang banged" has a couple of meanings. :o

Which meaning would you like? :D

Depends if I'm the 'banger' or 'bangee' :D

I meant it in a 50cent, snoop dog, Timbaland kind of way.

Ah, OK - I getcha! :D

I was driving into work this morning and on a small back soi, a farang was, I guess, being kept from turning right into another little soi by a Thai person in their car wanting out.

The farang goes over to the car motioning for them to back up, etc, but they apparently wouldn't yield.

I've no idea who was in the right here, but the farang was clearly as angry as he could be, so as we walked back to his car, he stops in the middle of the street and flashes the old middle finger in a very embellished fashion.

Nothing happened as a result and he got in his car and let traffic clear.

But as I know very little of specific gestures in Thailand, it did make me curious if it was considered that offensive or not. he thought he was telling them off, clearly. Did they take it as dramatically as him you reckon? If so, they weren't inclined to make a scene about it.

Do Thai's have a different set of gestures to make the same point or the same? Was he possibly risking a serious reaction by his gesture?

Dr. B

The only one I have ever seen is bar girls/bar girl girlfriends/bar girl wives doing the "thao hua ngoo" hand sign over some punters head/behind his back etc...

More of a piss take than an insult though.

Heard of a German several years ago who gave 'the bird' to a Thai driver for some erratic driving. The Thai pulled over and shot him dead. I always remember this story when I get cut up in traffic!

Here's a few others:

post-50490-1188300586_thumb.jpg

PALM-BACK V SIGN

Gesture: The peace sign, but reversed so the palm faces the recipient

post-50490-1188300695_thumb.jpg

FOREARM JERK

Gesture: One hand slapped to the upper arm, and that arm raised with a fist.

post-50490-1188300891_thumb.jpg

MOUTZA "Eat Shit"

Gesture: Display of the open palm

post-50490-1188300836_thumb.jpg

ANIMAL

Gesture: Four fingers thrusted toward recipient.

Japanese don't like Koreans. They call them "animals" by extending four fingers of one hand in another person's face. The traditional response of throwing a bowl of Kim Chi at the aggressor has fallen from favor in recent years.

post-50490-1188300974_thumb.jpg

UP THE ASS

Gesture: The middle finger is thrusted into the other hand which is curled up.

The Thais won't now any of these so use at leisure :o

Heard of a German several years ago who gave 'the bird' to a Thai driver for some erratic driving. The Thai pulled over and shot him dead. I always remember this story when I get cut up in traffic!

I remember that happening in Chiang Mai a few years back. The Thai guy shot a motorcyclist and his defense was that he'd been flipped a bird.

[

Everyone in Chiang Mai knows about the German who gave the bird to a Thai and got his head blown off.

A very fit freind of mine chased a car down that had almost hit him and flipped him the bird. The guy got out and literally kicked his face in.

I know that I shouldn't be flipping off the Thais, but I still do when they do something particularly stupid. I can't help myself! :o

I am also in Chiang Mai and would beg to differ regarding the "Masturbation Salute" They UNDERSTAND this 100% - a mate of mine did it to a 4x4 of retards on the Hang Dong highway....we needed to speed up fast and a quick U turn, they chased us for nearly 15K's...full of funeral chairs and drunks in the back ...so they were "heavy Laden!" would not have wanted a run in with that lot...my mate needs medication i think!

not too Jai Yin Yin...if you know what I mean...but we had two kids in the car, so it was a bit scary!