Shopping Questions

JohnnyThai

Suppose I am strolling down the street and I see some food that I would like to buy. When they ask me how much do I want, how do I say "Twenty Baht worth"

I am in a clothing store, how do I ask "Where is the changing room?"

I am holding a pair of shorts in my hands, how do I ask "Do you have size thirty-two?"

I am pointing to a pair of shorts on a wall, how do I ask "Do you have those in size thirty-two?" "May I look at them?"

How do I ask "Can you please measure my waist?"

How do I ask "If I buy more than one, will you lower the price?"

If I go to a Spa, how do I request a particular massuese, Khun Nok.

What is the classifer for clothing?

I think you'd need to read Thai to be able to use the (eventual) answers here. If you'd rely on transcript chances are you won't pronounce it right and people would not understand.

However, I think your first question is answerable even in transcript: just say 'Ao yeesib Baht' (replace the Baht amount). Usually traders give you an extra if you request in that way (i.e. four Baht per piece would be twenty Baht, but if you request twenty Baht worth you will get five pieces)

Suppose I am strolling down the street and I see some food that I would like to buy. When they ask me how much do I want, how do I say "Twenty Baht worth"

I am in a clothing store, how do I ask "Where is the changing room?"

ห้องลองเสื้อไปทางไหนครับ

I am holding a pair of shorts in my hands, how do I ask "Do you have size thirty-two?"

กางเกงตัวนี้มีไซส์ 32 มั๊ยครับ / มีไซส์ 32 มั๊ยครับ

I am pointing to a pair of shorts on a wall, how do I ask "Do you have those in size thirty-two?" "May I look at them?"

กางเกงตัวนั้นมีไซส์ 32 มั๊ยครับ ถ้ามีขอดูหน่อยได้มั๊ย

How do I ask "Can you please measure my waist?"

ช่วยวัดเอวให้หน่อยได้มั๊ยครับ

ลดให้หน่อยได้มั๊ยครับถ้าซื้อ 2 ตัว

If I go to a Spa, how do I request a particular massuese, Khun Nok.

What is the classifer for clothing?

ตัว

can i have the english spelling i/pronunciation as i saw given in other threads please.

You may be mistaking the point of this board: it is not a teaching service; it is a mutual learning forum. It works better if you put a little effort into it, also, (e.g., looking up a classifier).

there are several threads on the front page of this board which request the exact same thing. You want me to put forward more effort? Ok, I will take my best guesses...

"Where is the changing room?"

changing-hong yuu nai krap

"Do you have size thirty-two?"

mee size sam-seep song mai krap?

"Do you have those in size thirty-two?" "May I look at them?"

Mee this in size sam-seep song mai krap? khaw hen at them krap

"Can you please measure my waist?"

khaw measure waist Pom mai krap?

ja sue more than neung will khun rot hai noi dai mai krap?

look,

if you do this for someone else, itd be better if you just made a space between each thai word, because it could then be cut and pasted into thai-language.com which would then allow the person to download someone speaking the word.

right now i have to cut and paste into thai2english, and then again into thai-language.com so that i can download the audio.

These are my versions of the ones you tried OP:

"Where is the changing room?"

changing-hong yuu nai krap - Hong tee preeang pha yool nai krap

"Do you have size thirty-two?"

mee size sam-seep song mai krap? - this is correct[/u]

"Do you have those in size thirty-two?" "May I look at them?"

Mee this in size sam-seep song mai krap? khaw hen at them krap - mee anee size sam sip song mai? Mong hen dai mai krap?

khaw measure waist Pom mai krap? - you need to look up the words for waist and measure, sorry I forget

ja sue more than neung will khun rot hai noi dai mai krap? - Taa seu song an rot dai mai krap?

there are several threads on the front page of this board which request the exact same thing. You want me to put forward more effort? Ok, I will take my best guesses...

Sorry if I was too curt in my reply. I took a cue from your comment that "I can just ask my Thai friends" to give the proper pronunciation of the Roman transliterations - which doesn't make any sense at all; your Thai friends are not likely well-versed in any particular Karaoke version - as there are hundreds of variations, and no universally agreed standard - but they would surely much rather see the phrase written in Thai. If I were going to ask Thai friends how to pronounce a word, I'd rather have it written in Thai, in order to avoid any confusion, no?

That said, we all often fall back on dubious transliterations when necessary, or convenient, and that's okay, too. Several people on this board are very helpful and accommodating.

My main point was that learning Thai language (or any language) does require some serious personal commitment, which is reflected in the contributions to the forum. We're all students, at one level or another. And all are welcome. But we have also seen fleeting posts on here asking "how do I say: good afternoon, etc...," which seems to me to be putting the cart before the horse. If a person doesn't really want to do any personal studying, well, there are basic tourist phrasebooks available.

Cheers.

These are my versions of the ones you tried OP:

khaw measure waist Pom mai krap? - you need to look up the words for waist and measure, sorry I forget

That reminds me: buying a dictionary might be a good idea. And, actually reading it may be another good idea.