Samsung Flat Screen Monitor Info

Padkapow Guy

Does anyone have one of these or used one? I am thinking of buying this

Samsung SyncMaster Ultra Efficient 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor, 906BW Black monitor.

Any info bad or good would be appreciated.

I can get one for @ $230.00 U.S. which would be roughly @ 7820 baht.

Would I be able to get it cheaper in LOS ? or a comparable monitor.

thanks for any info

PKG

I've got a Samsung 226BW at home (22'), and I liked it so much I bought a 932Bplus (not sure if I have the number right) for work. They are beautiful monitors. We have some Acers at work and a Benq, and they are crap by comparison (and the Acer has blown up twice within its warranty period). They are nice and bright, good colour and very easy on the eye.

If you get a Samsung, make sure you get one of the newer models (the ones with the slick black stands), as these have much better specs than the old ones (screen response time, contrast ratio etc).

Does anyone have one of these or used one? I am thinking of buying this

Samsung SyncMaster Ultra Efficient 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor, 906BW Black monitor.

Any info bad or good would be appreciated.

I can get one for @ $230.00 U.S. which would be roughly @ 7820 baht.

Would I be able to get it cheaper in LOS ? or a comparable monitor.

thanks for any info

PKG

Samsung makes some of the best panels, both Tv's and monitors. Look for reviews online.

Morten

I have the same models as Crushdepth, and I like both.

There are things that will be much cheaper in the US, but mainstream LCDs is not one of those things. Anything that is sold in high volume here will be roughly the same price here as in the US (unless you go to a big discount store, get a rebate, etc. etc). For example the mainstream monitors and mainstream CPUs are very close in price. But more exotic things, like multifunction color lasers, can be much cheaper in the US. I saw a HP MFC laser being sold by HP USA for around half of what it was being sold for here (37,000 baht here). Another example is really big LCDs (24" and above)... they can be sold for around twice or three times as much here.

It is a bit ridiculous that a 22" Samsung LCD would cost 12,000 baht, while a 24" Samsung monitor would typically cost around 40,000, but in the US cost 15,000 baht. Same thing goes for the other brands, like Benq. But that's the way the market works in Thailand... anything that's not imported in very large quantities (tens of thousands) tends to be extremely expensive. The only recourse would be to bring one in from the US, but that's not really an option for most, since 24" LCDs aren't exactly small and a ticket to the US isn't cheap.

But the trend is towards bigger monitors. Anything above 19" here would have been very expensive only a couple of years ago, but it's gotten to the point where 22" are now affordable. So, wait a year or so, and 24" will (finally) be sold at a realistic price. By then, we'll be lusting after 30" LCDs.

I've got a Samsung 226BW at home (22'), and I liked it so much I bought a 932Bplus (not sure if I have the number right) for work. They are beautiful monitors. We have some Acers at work and a Benq, and they are crap by comparison (and the Acer has blown up twice within its warranty period). They are nice and bright, good colour and very easy on the eye.

If you get a Samsung, make sure you get one of the newer models (the ones with the slick black stands), as these have much better specs than the old ones (screen response time, contrast ratio etc).

We have 5 of the same model here (SyncMaster 226BW) and they work well in 1800 x 1200

I really don't understand how it could do that, since the physical pixels of the monitor are 1680x1050. Working at 1800x1200 would mean that you'd have to do screen scrolling.

Also operating outside of native mode means pixel interpolation has to be done reducing the clarity of the display.

• 1 year later...

To save opening a new topic..... :D

----------------

To the guys who bought Samsung monitors.

Did you get a 3 year warranty as in most countries?

I'm looking at the 23" Monitor . The vendor makes no mention of HD in the features

but the 22" is promoted as Full HD. yet the specs seem (to me) to be the same!

1) Am I missing something here?

The price dif is only 1000bt extra for the 23"

2) Does anyone own a Samsung 2333SW 23" ?

or

3) a Samsung 2233SW 22" monitor ?

BTW the 305T is 'only' 55,000bt :D

TIA for any replies. :o

gd

I have a T220. There is a sticker placed on the box by JIB, who is either the retailer or distributor, with 3-Y on it, so I assume it is a 3 year warranty. The warranty card that came with the monitor has both Thai and English, and states a 3 year warranty for CRT and LCD.

You realize the monitors you are looking at are designed with HD TV resolution which is 16:9 instead of 16:10 that most computer displays use. While it does give you the added benefit of not having small black bars at the top and bottom of the picture when playing HD movies, I find 16:9 uncomfortable or odd to use for general work. I'd definitely take a look at it at a shop and use it for a bit, side by side with a 16:10 display to see what you are loosing in height vs. gaining in a little extra width.

If you are looking for 1920 displays, at 16:10 they have 1920x1200 instead of the 1920x1080 that the display you are looking at uses.

Edit: Regarding the price, your paying 16% more for a 14% increase in screen real estate. Sounds about right to me.

Edit 2: They are both Full HD resolution, but neither of them support Component or HDMI inputs, only the standard 15 pin and DVI computer connections.

Edited by surface

Only you can decide if anything is worth it.

If you want to know the screen areas for the monitors you have selected, this site has a tool that computes them for you.

http://www.displaywars.com/23-inch-16x9-vs-26-inch-16x10

23" 16x9 display has a screen area of 226"

26" 16x10 display has a screen area of 304"

The 26" you linked to has built in speakers, which you may or may not want, and has an HDMI input while the 23" doesn't.

If you let us know what you intend to use the monitor for, we could probably help you better.

If you want to play games, 1680x1050 with a 2ms response might be a better solution than a 1920x1200 with 5ms.

If you want to watch HD movies or TV shows, or play games from a PS3 or xbox 360, you'd want a 1920x1080 (16x9) display with at least 1 HDMI input.

If the above two activities aren't a priority, then the largest screen in your budget at the aspect ratio you prefer (16x9 or 16x10) would be best, regardless of response time or resolution.

If you are ordering online, I still suggest you get to the store to see the difference between 16x9 and 16x10 displays before making a purchase.

Edited by surface

Has anyone seen reasonably priced 24" ers in LOS? I'd want 1920x1200 wide screen... Those are not that expensive anymore - for example $500 for a nice Samsung...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001234

Haven't seen any for less than $1000 in Thailand for some reason...

12800B for 25.5inch T260

in Panthip 2nd Fl,last month

but T260HD is better,and was not available

for 1kUS$ you will get 30inch sam in same shop.

In another shop same floor:BenQ G2400 5000B only(G stands for gaming),its new item but 2 yrs old model.

All above - FullHD,joy for your eyes and for your wallet.

I have the 2693, paid 13,800 baht for it in Fortune Time. As a general monitor it is OK, but for photo processing it is rubbish. Even sitting right in front of the monitor you get colour shift on the side because it is so wide. My previous monitor was an IPS panel (which this is not) and was far superior.

Only you can decide if anything is worth it.

If you let us know what you intend to use the monitor for, we could probably help you better.

If you want to play games, 1680x1050 with a 2ms response might be a better solution than a 1920x1200 with 5ms.

If you are ordering online, I still suggest you get to the store to see the difference between 16x9 and 16x10 displays before making a purchase. Will do

Thanks again.

No games.

Movies, photography, video editing (beginner) :o

cheers

gd

Has anyone seen reasonably priced 24" ers in LOS? I'd want 1920x1200 wide screen... Those are not that expensive anymore - for example $500 for a nice Samsung...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001234

Haven't seen any for less than $1000 in Thailand for some reason...

12800B for 25.5inch T260

in Panthip 2nd Fl,last month

but T260HD is better,and was not available

for 1kUS$ you will get 30inch sam in same shop.

In another shop same floor:BenQ G2400 5000B only(G stands for gaming),its new item but 2 yrs old model.

All above - FullHD,joy for your eyes and for your wallet.

I've been trying to reply to these posts for 36 hours due to a crappy connection.

2nd floor?

Floor number 2 or the Mezzanine?

Cannot find a ref to the T260HD.

Are you sure about that?

cheers. :o

I have the 2693, paid 13,800 baht for it in Fortune Time. As a general monitor it is OK, but for photo processing it is rubbish. Even sitting right in front of the monitor you get colour shift on the side because it is so wide. My previous monitor was an IPS panel (which this is not) and was far superior.

Hi Hugh,

thanks for the heads-up about the photo processing! :D

You mentioned IPS, is that HP or NEC?

13,800 is a good price.

I'm attracted by Samsung's 3 yr warranty and good reports.

Thanks for responding. (to all) :o