Good Manners When Driving In Los

Steve2UK

I have to say that I relished the lack of rules when I first came here in the early 90s. I drove like I was in a race, drove drunk, and generally drove like a lunatic everywhere all the time.

Thailand was a sheer joy in having no enforced rules and an expectation of crazy driving by other road occupants. The freedom to drive like I was in a video game was intoxicating.

Having grown a little older I've settled down somewhat.

I know I was stupid, selfish and irresponsible. All I can say in my defence is that I've never had an accident.

I only started driving in Thailand in April of this year, after moving from the UK.

After having been driven around in taxis on my previous visits to LOS, the thought of taking my new, just paid for car on the road scared me sh**less.

After a week, it was ok. I think the secret might be to think 'defensive driving' all the time.

It didn't take me long to work out that when you are trying to cross oncoming traffic, oncoming cars flashing their headlights are NOT giving you right of way :o:D:D:D

Regarsds

Jaiyenyen

On single lane roads, when a truck or bus eases to the left and/or indicates left (signalling to me that it's safe to overtake), my practice is to give a couple of flashes of my hazard lights once I get in front - to say "thanks" (as is the norm with pro - e.g. truck and bus - drivers in Europe). But I don't see others doing it here. Any thoughts about that?

Yeah - my practice is to mutter under my breath - "you gotta be bloody joking!".

And then I make my own assessment, based on what I can see, not what some totally unknown quantity ahead of me believes is the situation.

To (loosely) quote the good sergeant from Hill Street Blues - "it's dangerous out there folks - take care" (or something similar).

Having driven in London for 30+ years, I'm a] well used to right-hand drive and b] pretty considerate to other drivers - e.g. in terms of allowing them to enter from a side road/overtake/change lanes etc........... and c] using a hand gesture to show my appreciation if they let me do the same.

It's c] that I'm wondering about. The norm in the UK is to raise your left hand once you're ahead of the driver who let you through - so he/she will see it through your rear window. Leaving aside that you may have heavily tinted glass (so the driver behind may not see it), it occurs to me that using your left hand for almost anything in LOS is usually considered rude. So - is my well-intentioned gesture of thanks actually not a good thing?

I do notice that most Thai drivers and pedestrians don't even bother to show any reaction if I stop/slow down to let them pass or cross; if they do, it's usually a vigorous bow of the head.......... but that's not always practical to do. And, yes, I do know that many Thai drivers don't stop/slow down for anyone or anything; after all, that wouldn't fit in with their notion that they are the only vehicle on the road :o . Seems to be different in a parking lot - nearly everyone bows and smiles....... maybe because it's more "face to face"?

On single lane roads, when a truck or bus eases to the left and/or indicates left (signalling to me that it's safe to overtake), my practice is to give a couple of flashes of my hazard lights once I get in front - to say "thanks" (as is the norm with pro - e.g. truck and bus - drivers in Europe). But I don't see others doing it here. Any thoughts about that?

Anybody flashing lights in Thailand means they are coming through and not stopping for anyone !!!

:D:D