Visa For 6 Weeks

Hello!

I have a question, hope somebody can help - i'm going to Thailand on the 31st July for 6 weeks, and was under the impression I could get a visa for that amount of time at the airport. I've just noticed in a guidebook however it seems to say that i need to get the visa in another country. I'm only in Australia for 1 more day, which won't be time to get one, and then in Singapore for 2 days before Thailand.

Does anyone know if they'll let us in without this visa, or if we can get one in Bangkok? Or perhaps get a double 30 day tourist visa? Any information would be very much appreciated, as it'd be awful if we were turned away at the airport!

Thanks very much,

Smiler :o

No problem ......you/ll get a 30 day on arrival stamp, which can be extended by another 10 days for 1900 baht at any immigration office in Thailand and it used to be the case where this could be extended again by 5 days (1900 baht) just take your tickets in with you. Alternatively you could nip to one of the borders and go out and back in (for another 30 day stamp).....there are plenty of agencies that will run you to the border , just depends where you will be staying. Someone correct me if you can no longer get the extra 5 day extension.

If you can get to Thailand you would only receive a 30 day entry so you must obtain a visa before arrival or leave the country sooner and return. You may have time to obtain in Singapore if you arrive before noon and depart in afternoon the next day. If you have two full days in Singapore no problem getting visa.

No you can not obtain a visa in Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand. The best you could obtain is 30 days entry (day of entry is day one) plus 1,900 baht extension of 10 days.

Lopburi...........can you not still get a 5 day extension on top of the 10 days? Economics wise it would be better to do a run to the border on any day after the 12th day of the 30 day stamp...as they only need 42 days in total. Just depends if you want to use 1 of your days on holiday sat on a bus to the border and back.Check your days in the Kingdom maybe 30+10 will be enough?

Lopburi thought of another potential problem with the 30 day on arrival stamp..........his carrier out of Singapore might not let him board if his onward ticket is outside the 30 day stamps validity. Suppose way round this would be to purchase a train ticket in Singapore taking him out of Thailand within the 30 days stamp , then at least he would be covered. Then go either for the extension of 10 days (if you are staying just under the 6 weeks) or you could do a border run as mentioned above. Train ticket will cost you 100 baht...Had Yai to Butterworth....just throw it away once you get here. Best of all would be to get the visa in Singapore......time permitting!

Lopburi...........can you not still get a 5 day extension on top of the 10 days? Economics wise it would be better to do a run to the border on any day after the 12th day of the 30 day stamp...as they only need 42 days in total. Just depends if you want to use 1 of your days on holiday sat on a bus to the border and back.Check your days in the Kingdom maybe 30+10 will be enough?

IF and it is a big IF a further 5 day extension was granted it'd cost another 1900 baht ( that'd be 2 X 1900 baht ) ' Economics wise ' it has to be miles cheaper and simpler to get a tourist visa before entry. And there is of course, the question as to whether any airline will carry the pax. In any event, there's virtually no hope of a second extension of what is, after all, a permit to enter for 30 days.

This one is so easy. Come in and get your 30 day stamp. Go to imm and get 10 day extension when 30 days nearing expiry. overstay the rest and pay 200 baht per day. 4-5 days=800-1000 baht. no problem. don't get scaremongered about overstaying a meager few days. your friend, Kwai

Appropriately named i would of said!

Thank you all very much for your helpful replies. I couldn't get back on the internet til now, but thankfully we managed to get a visa in Sydney today. On the website it said it'd take 2 days, which would've been no good as we fly early tomorrow morning, but the nice man at the Embassy processed it during working hours today, so we now have the necessary visa.

Thanks for all the alternative options though! :o