Ajarn Home Room

Munted

My preferred age to teach is 5 - 7 year olds. I'm one sixth of the way through a primary teaching degree. If I come back to Thailand, is there work where I can teach the same kids continuously across the cirricculum? For a whole school year? I'm not keen to go back to where I was - 1000 plus Matayom students spread through 21 classes per week.

Edited by Munted

I'm not keen to go back to where I was - 1000 plus Matayom students spread through 21 classes per week.

Been there, done that.... :o I can only offer you sympathy, and a suggestion to moving up to university students (5 classes per week, 200 students).

Thanks for the suggestion - but would prefer a class of 30 or so for a continuous period (over the school year). Do such opportunities exist in Thailand? Or is this model even applicable to the Thai way?

My preferred age to teach is 5 - 7 year olds. I'm one sixth of the way through a primary teaching degree. If I come back to Thailand, is there work where I can teach the same kids continuously across the cirricculum? For a whole school year? I'm not keen to go back to where I was - 1000 plus Matayom students spread through 21 classes per week.

If you are undertaking a degree in primary teaching then providing it is from a recognised university then surely an international school should be your choice. Good pay and conditions, and of course smaller class sizes.

International Schools do have small class sizes and you work with one group and their families. Our school just filled a Year One-Two job, alas, but we do have an opening for Grades 3 & 4 for an English teacher right now, and pay is better than most.... do check the job board at www.ajarn.com

Thanks mindweave - just thinking about options so far.

Yes, I work in a bilingual program. Our class size is about 32 students per class. You teach a subject, such as English, Math, science, social studies. Generally you teach across one grade--sometimes crossing into the next grade. For example, if you teach Grade 1 or 2 language, you would teach 5 classes, 1 period everyday. Some subjects are taught only 3 times a week so you might be teaching science or social studies to Grade 1 and 2.

If you want information about the pay scale--I don't know what other's pay, you can PM and I will send you information on pay, conditions etc. It isn't anywhere near as high as International Schools, but is probably mid-range.

Since you are also now finishing your degree, by next year the salaries may be higher--one never knows, because there are a lot less eligible teachers floating around than before.

Best of luck to you.